What did I just buy.

RussK

Observer
Dutch thanks again, you help is greatly needed and appreciated, Metric, I have a new style, coming but that is good advice for all of us newbies.
I have made some progress, changed oil, but waiting on other fluids until it runs and moves, don't want to have to back track, so that will wait until after a short test drive.

went though the inside and found a few things , like my pull pin for that front bumper.

. .
.Found a First Aid kit and a fire extinguisher, with a yellow bag , don't know what's in it but I think maybe a tool kit?

Is this fuel can also OE?

.Also can any body tell me what S - SA - SA - N - GA means?
I think s=2wd, sa =4wd, n=neutral, ga =4wd low, but I not always right, well that's what my wife says anyway.

RussK

Observer
I redid the brakes , and cleaned out a rats nest
that was above the fuel tank.

The previous owners told me they took this a few places,
New York

Hawaii

We will have wait and see where we take it.

This thing has 215/85/16 tires on it, what is a suggestion for good replacements
?

S = 2 WD, rear wheel driven.
SA = 4 WD high, can be shiftet to on the fly (declutch) when conditions call for it. However know that there is no center diff in this style of transferbox, so 4WD in any mode can only be used safely when there is a low traction surface. The front and rear wheels needs to be able to slip slightly to equalize the forces when doing turns.

Moving over to the 4WD side.
SA = 4WD high
N= Neutral. Main gearbox input driveshaft rotates freely, but front and rear wheels are still locked together in 4x4
GA= 4WD low, can be shiftet to on the fly (declutch) when the speed is low enough. The 4WD low is 2:1 ratio.

If for some reason you need to drive without the front driveshaft mounted. Do so in SA or GA, as the internal oilpump and the speedometer drive is driven by the rotation of the frontwheel driveshaft.
Transportation of a damaged vehicle is best done on a flatbed. Or if being towed where the front wheels does not rotate, take off the front driveshaft and put the transferbox in N, that will keep the lubrication working.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Dutch thanks again, you help is greatly needed and appreciated

You have my phone number.

To give a little more detail to the answer above:

"S" = Strasse = 2WD on the street
"SA" = Strasse Alle = 4WD or all wheel drive on the street. Do this only where you have a slippery surface or the windup in the drive line could damage things.
"N" = Neutral
"GA" = Gelände Alle = 4WD Low or all wheel drive low for off road terrain.

Last edited:

RussK

Observer
I'm having a very hard time getting this diesel to start, any body know anybody in the Atlanta area that can help?

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
I'm having a very hard time getting this diesel to start, any body know anybody in the Atlanta area that can help?

As I told you on the phone, I do not know the older MB diesel engines at all. However, I've contacted a friend here in Atlanta who knows MB diesels pretty well; and gave him the link to this thread.

There's always my indie MB mechanic in Chamblee, but that will cost you $.

Last edited:

hus55

what a great thread ! great G with barndoors and tropical roof that you have been so luckily to have come across. it looks very very original and untouched [very rare to find a good example]

dutch is a wealth of knowledge. he will guide you well im sure..

all the replies have been spot on. not much to add really

i reckon theres an air leak in the fuel lines..somethings cracked or the rats have been eating away...!!

keep us posted on this interesting G .

rgds hus. [cyprus]

different needs of use mean different tire sizes. if your not going off the beaten track and mainly using the G for highway stay standard tire specs which are 205 16 semperits. any tire bigger will be zapping your already minimum 88 ps.

Attachments

• 10468425_10152871865147768_6936110394620423_o.jpg
    10468425_10152871865147768_6936110394620423_o.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 78

RussK

Observer
Where are you in Atlanta? I'll be happy to help.

Mark

I actually live in Marietta, just north of Atlanta on 75.

I have replaced the primer pump, it was leaking and well pretty much dead. I tested the lift pump and bleed the system, it still will not start.
Cant get hardly any fuel to the injectors think I have may have a Injection pump issue.
I need some one who knows these things,
any help would be nice thanks Russk

RussK

Observer
As I told you on the phone, I do not know the older MB diesel engines at all. However, I've contacted a friend here in Atlanta who knows MB diesels pretty well; and gave him the link to this thread.

There's always my indie MB mechanic in Chamblee, but that will cost you $.
Got a phone #? how is he with euro m style injector pumps?

Metric

Got a phone #? how is he with euro m style injector pumps?
The guy that Dutch was referring to is Inkblotz who replied earlier.

You might want to confirm that the kill switch on the back of the IP is not engaged. It also occurs to me that if the vacuum lines on the ignition are swapped then the IP will not flow fuel....at least I think I'm remembering that correctly.
-Winston

RussK

Observer
Had a guy from another shop that looked at my Gd, he said it has a bad injector pump so I'm looking for some one who can rebuild it.
I just had a relative that told me I could have there 83 300d (it runs )if I wanted.
I may get it and swap IPs if possible.
Does any body know if they well interchange?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles