Take a look at the Defender accessories that I am making - Feedback appreciated.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Yes! The third and final round of prototypes are on their way. I will post up as soon as they have been anodized.

FYI
I like your website.
I also really like those battery connectors.

Also do you have photos of some of your products fitted to a truck. it will help visualize exactly how they look on the truck. I know the light bezels and radiator are pretty standard, but it may help also.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Now THAT is a great idea. Who makes those?

Tiktaalik

here you go, can you do something with these bad boys. These are off a 130 tub, perhaps 110 and 90 rears would all be different, but the fronts would all be that same. At the ridiculous price asked for a bit of rubber, and how fast you loose them off road, I'll happily take your prototypes off you. I can see myself and my six Defender buddies all going down this road.

rlynch356

Defyota
I agree that would be a great upgrade for both front and rear mud flaps - If possible the kit should come with the Mud flap.

I like the grills your doing as well - if i didn't have a heritage i would be tempted.

Abu Buckwheat

warrior-scholar-shooter
This is a good example of getting into the market with niche items that knock off the big expensive items ... I am digging these and for $120 they'd be on one of my trucks. However I'd make attachment point for the owner to put his own wiremesh screen on the backside for bugs and smaller rocks. God knows what driving through a locust swarm or all those freaking pebbles could do. That would be expedition-military upgrade worth the ducats.

I agree alloy is lighter than steel, but alloy needs to be thicker than steel also to give it more support, thus thicker alloy, thiner steel, same weight. ( some times )

As for light guards, theres some cheap and simple ones out there then theres some very expensive ones, from my own personnel view, 95% of Defender owners would have a heart attack at paying over $300AU for a pair, high end Defender parts is a very niche market.

I recently received a pair of Kahn Defender Light Guard, around $430 with shipping, nice outer box, nice packaging, but I was some what disappointed with the guards, yes the mesh is mine spec, and the welds 100%, but $200 would have been too much to pay. We could reproduce like for like in the shop for $120.00

Instead we just made a simple version, thats going to RRP for $120.00.

Paying top $ is fine but its got to give you that special feeling, or you feel like you have wasted money.

On a side note I do like the wing Indicator guards

Heres ours, the black will be paired Silver behind the logo to make it stand out more.

Still great to see other people coming up with new ideas.

Juddy

Adventurer
how easy is it to wash the headlights with that cover in place?

No,idea never gets washed, it's land rover plus my iPhones got more brightness than the standard lights, that's what I have the light force lamps fitted.

paulnb57

Observer
That light guard above - A great example of a solution causing a problem, cant clean the lights........and people buy them.........priceless

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Trying to get back on track for the OP. I have seen the Tiktaalik stuff first hand and was extremely impressed with the craftsmanship and build quality. I Highly recommend them.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Does not look as if that light would be hard to clean at all, just hit it with some clean water, and use a coat hanger covered with a cloth.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks! That means a lot because you're one of the few who have actually seen them in person.

Trying to get back on track for the OP. I have seen the Tiktaalik stuff first hand and was extremely impressed with the craftsmanship and build quality. I Highly recommend them.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
The third and final round of prototypes will be assembled and anodized this week. I think I am the most excited about the OEM Grill which is not pictured here. I have decided to pull the plug on the large headlight guards because they are too expensive too produce to make it worthwhile. I will instead focus in getting the Heritage Grill prototyped. The square holes you see here is my propriety construction method. By inserting the fingers into the cavities and then plug welding them from the front the construction will be much more rigid since it is now also a geometrical interlocked. Last photo is of the first prototype of the aluminum headlight surround.

tiktaalik_SG_4603.JPGtiktaalik_LG_4605.JPGtiktaalik_RGL_4599.JPGtiktaalik_RGR_4602.JPGwww.tiktaalik.com 5 small.jpg

Your stuff looks good mate. Don't get me wrong, it's clearly well made and looks lovely but who are these products targeted at and what is your unique selling point?

I personally think that remaking something that already exists, even if you've given it a nice coating and saved a few grams isn't quite enough to cut the mustard in these markets, at least not over here in the UK (which probably isn't part of your business plan anyhow).

The reason I think some of the other companies mentioned on this thread have cracked it is because their products are very innovative. You look at their kit and think 'I'd never thought of that. Thats wicked' and I don't get that vibe with your stuff. Saying that it all looks bloody cool and I could easily see them as part of a Khan or Twisted Vehicle. In fact have you thought about approaching these companies (or what every the US equivalent is) to see if you can get into the aftermarket development scene?

A lot of the idea's mentioned by others on this thread have legs. You've got the manufacturing and design side down - couple that with some really fresh innovative ideas and I think you'll be onto a winner.

Good luck with it all.

Timo K

Observer
I think with that kind of fabrication skill you should really, really seriously look into making an "expedition dashboard" for older Defenders (especially my 1997 300Tdi 110... wink wink) because the stock one is just idiotic at best. I would love a robust, functional item to replace the stupid plastic monstrosity. Now that'd be a product that might have serious worldwide demand despite a high price tag.

LandyAndy

Adventurer
I think with that kind of fabrication skill you should really, really seriously look into making an "expedition dashboard" for older Defenders (especially my 1997 300Tdi 110... wink wink) because the stock one is just idiotic at best. I would love a robust, functional item to replace the stupid plastic monstrosity. Now that'd be a product that might have serious worldwide demand despite a high price tag.

I had to make my own LHD one.... still a work in progress but getting there.

DSC05833_zpsd462e346.jpg

Sorry to hijack your thread.... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles