Mortonm's 2001 Xterra Build

stioc

Expedition Leader
I was looking at the xterra as well and for now everything is still in the air. What i like about LR3 is the size not to big and not small. After xterra is nissan armada and that is huge to me. I have read on the forums about Lr3 and they need a lot of TLC but can be good and reliaeble. Our choice for family was volvo xc90 but in case the QX4 will give up on us or need some bigger repair we can fall back on LR3 and still go all the places we like and with volvo well we couldn't.

The LR3 is a great option of course. However, xc90 doesn't get the respect it deserves...it has a fantastic all-wheel-drive system- even better than the Subaru's. Do a couple of youtube searches and you'll see.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Tread Depth History

Brand New - 16/32
50,000km (30,000 mi) - 11.5/32
65,000km (40,000 mi) - 10/32
75,000 km (46,000 mi) - 8.5/32

This means I am averaging 1/32 per 10,000 km (6200 mi) so far

This also means I have roughly 65,000 km (40,000 mi) until I hit the legal minimum.

I drive around 25,000 km (15,000 mi) in a year, so in a year from now I should be down to 5/32 or 6/32 and that will be about all I will get out of them. Pretty happy with that.

Loved my BFGs, they're great and truly a multi-purpose tire. It's no wonder they've been around this long and often a choice of the overlanders like Tom Sheppard.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Loved my BFGs, they're great and truly a multi-purpose tire. It's no wonder they've been around this long and often a choice of the overlanders like Tom Sheppard.

I just hope I can find three of the old design in a year. It kooks like BFG isn't even making the KO2 in 235 85R16 yet so I should be okay.

I would love to try the Cooper Discoverer AT3 but I can't justify when I have a brand new tire sitting in my garage.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Great to hear you got your oil problem worked out, I know how annoying those can be. Have to say, I'm always impressed by the BFG. Such a great tire. On trucks the size of the X, they seem to last forever.

Marty, the LR3 is a great choice. They don't require near the attention that the DIIs do, and their trail abilities are crazy awesome. As noted though, the downside is that parts are expensive and they are a much more complex vehicle. But they are pretty reliable though.

drew7997

Morton,
Did you ever get any fog lights? I can personally vouch for the IPF 840 SERIES FOG LIGHTS by ARB. http://store.arbusa.com/Lights-C12.aspx
Shop around. I paid around $180US. only mine were 100W each side. Angled perfectly I can use them in super heavy snow as my only light and see much farther down the road. Around 40MPH with plenty safe stopping distances.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Morton,
Did you ever get any fog lights? I can personally vouch for the IPF 840 SERIES FOG LIGHTS by ARB. http://store.arbusa.com/Lights-C12.aspx
Shop around. I paid around $180US. only mine were 100W each side. Angled perfectly I can use them in super heavy snow as my only light and see much farther down the road. Around 40MPH with plenty safe stopping distances.

Those do look pretty nice! I ended up with a set of Rigid Dually LED lights for the front, although they aren't true fog lights I wanted them for extra vision at night on country roads

mortonm

Expedition Leader
One of our work trucks just got a brand new set of these: BFG Commercial Traction TA Tires (265/75R16). Unfortunately I hardly drive this truck so I wont get much use on them but they look a lot nicer in person. I have looked at them online a few times when browing tires but never thought they were aggressive enough. In person the treads are much deeper than I had originally thought, might be worth taking a look at in the future.

E rated
15.5/32nds of tread (BFG AT are 16/32), However, all the other sizes (it doesnt come in many) Appear to be 18/32 of tread depth.

Available in
235/75R15
215/85R16
225/75R16
235/85R16
245/75R16
265/75R16

drew7997

I couldn't ask for better fog light cut off and the vision with the IPF's. I can typically see just fine going 40-45 mph without additional lights on my country roads.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Interesting tire, seems like the commercial traction class has really been expanding since the duratrac.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Interesting tire, seems like the commercial traction class has really been expanding since the duratrac.

I am not sure but I think these have been around for quite awhile (longer than the duratracs) you just dont see them very often. It seems like most people if they need a BFG traction tire just go to the BFG AT

mortonm

Expedition Leader
My brother and I are going to be heading to the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival next August, anyone else planning on attending ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94