New JK Stubby Bumper from ARB

Septu

Explorer
I like the ARB Bumper, but I've been doing more thinking...I really want to keep my fogs. They help a lot for street driving. Haven't really found any nice street legal fogs to take the place of the stock ones if I were to run the ARB stubby.

Replace the headlights with Hella's (or some of the other new ones that just came out). You'll never use your fogs again.

ARB_USA

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the reply ARB. Are you guys going to offer an optional skid plate in the future?

For the bumper or engine/trans? Nothing in the works for the bumpers.

If for the engine/trans, we already have one for the 2007-11 models.

http://store.arbusa.com/2007-11-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-ARB-Skid-Plates-5450100-P22726.aspx

Australia is currently working on the skids for the 2012+ models. They haven't had the 3.6 liter as long as us, so that has delayed design/production time

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
Fog Lights? Really?

I can understand that if you have factory fog lights then you may want to keep them, but really? The factory fog lights do an OK job of adding some extra light to the ground but nothing to write home about. Lighting is one of the first things I like to upgrade and I'm glad to see that ARB has added light tabs so I can upgrade my fog lights along with my bumper. I also agree that if you upgraded your headlights you wouldn't need anything else unless you just like extra which I do. I installed the TRUCK-LITE LED headlight replacements and it was not cheap but MAN WHAT A LIGHT!!! When they are on high beam I can not see any of my fog or driving lights.

ARB awesome STUBBY bumper, way to stay current... I will be ordering this bumper up while on vacation next week... Time to start a build thread.. Good Luck with you bumper...

Albert

just eric

Adventurer
ARB - Any info on when I can stop by and pick mine up? I was hoping to bolt it on prior to my Holiday trip...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I really like full width bumpers but the price and the fact that it comes with a winch mount is very interesting.
Mine was $300 with fog mounts, winch mount, & hoop.

010-2.jpg

TxJprs

Observer

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Old thread, but...

Anyone have a good prospective on using this stubby bumper for an overlanding oriented JKUR?

The ARB and AEV full width bumpers look okay. But I'm not a huge fun of how the close the gap between the fenders and bumper to meet Euro-specifications. And most of the other bumpers seem too fab shopped for my tastes (flat steel plates welded together).

This seems like it solves a lot of front bumper problems.

Lighter weight (than full width)
low winch mount
includes license plate mount
multiple light and antenna mounts
solid recovery points
solid hi lift points
winch, radiator, coolant line protection
General wildlife strike protection
Improved angles

The only downsides I see are:
No airbag cans
Possibility of taking a full impact on the tire/wheel/axle.

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
Klaus,

I have been building my jeep up for 80% overlanding, and 20% technical trail navigation. I have the ARB stubby, and can offer some thoughts for whatever they are worth:

I really like the cleanliness, lines, and features that are designed into this smaller package. You do loose the fog lights, which for me wasn't a deal breaker. I believe LOD and Hanson both had a very similar option that keeps the fog lights, but uses smaller tube for the hoop. The hoop on the ARB bumper was a big selling point for me because it follows the body lines so well, and the scale of the bigger tube looks a lot better (IMO). The package offers good protection for the whole of the front end, less the tires/fenders. This bumper also totally maximizes approach angles both straight on, and on a diagonal which for me has already proven to be a big plus.

This setup does certainly leave the front tires more exposed to an impact, and that is food for thought. I can't really offer a lot of personal experience or insight with this, for which I am thankful. Are the side wings of a steel bumper going to be strong enough to deflect the hit that would wipe out an axle? I don't know... It does seem like splitting hairs. I am confident that I am more likely to take advantage of the extra approach angles than extra side protection during an impact. In my own thought process about an impact that severe, my concern revolves around having communications immediately available for a rapid medical response or support response than I am the vehicle being able to take that seemingly small bit of extra punishment.

Lastly, for an international overlanding vehicle: Where are you going to take the vehicle, and most importantly if you have plans of driving outside the US are you still going to be legal with that little coverage on the tires? The stubby leaves it all WIDE open :)

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Klaus,

I have been building my jeep up for 80% overlanding, and 20% technical trail navigation. I have the ARB stubby, and can offer some thoughts for whatever they are worth:

I really like the cleanliness, lines, and features that are designed into this smaller package. You do loose the fog lights, which for me wasn't a deal breaker. I believe LOD and Hanson both had a very similar option that keeps the fog lights, but uses smaller tube for the hoop. The hoop on the ARB bumper was a big selling point for me because it follows the body lines so well, and the scale of the bigger tube looks a lot better (IMO). The package offers good protection for the whole of the front end, less the tires/fenders. This bumper also totally maximizes approach angles both straight on, and on a diagonal which for me has already proven to be a big plus.

This setup does certainly leave the front tires more exposed to an impact, and that is food for thought. I can't really offer a lot of personal experience or insight with this, for which I am thankful. Are the side wings of a steel bumper going to be strong enough to deflect the hit that would wipe out an axle? I don't know... It does seem like splitting hairs. I am confident that I am more likely to take advantage of the extra approach angles than extra side protection during an impact. In my own thought process about an impact that severe, my concern revolves around having communications immediately available for a rapid medical response or support response than I am the vehicle being able to take that seemingly small bit of extra punishment.

Lastly, for an international overlanding vehicle: Where are you going to take the vehicle, and most importantly if you have plans of driving outside the US are you still going to be legal with that little coverage on the tires? The stubby leaves it all WIDE open :)

Oh I know you! What's up? Thanks for your thoughts, and nice looking Jeep. Perfect balance of stock and capability.

I'm surprised I can't find more input and reviews on these. It seems like a lot of features and protection packed into a 66lb $500 bumper from a very respectable company.

I don't really need a bumper and won't get one for awhile, but I figured instead of spending $300 on winch plate and hoop for the stock bumper, $500 would be worth it to get some real recovery points, jacking points, light mounting, winch mounting and protection. If they made this a mid width or with removable wings, I'd be sold.

Good point on the crash protection. The stock bumper wings probably don't do much of anything anyway. In an animal strike or a minor accident, this stubby would definitely do more to preserve the radiator than the stock bumper.

Did you install yours yourself? I saw the instructions mentioned a grinder. I'm wondering how irreversible the install is. With my Land Cruiser, I had to grind off the front frame horns and notch the rear crossmember. I'm hoping for a reversible install on the Jeep.

No international travel plans for the Jeep other than Mexico and Canada. Not sure of the legality of running a bull bar or stubby bumper in either. As I do this more, I'm less and less interested in rock crawling for rock crawling's sake. But that's not to say that I want a technical stretch to force me to turn around either ;)

Last edited:

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Just installed an ARB stubby on mine. Very straight forward easy install. I would say the install is reversable the only permanent modification to the frame is you have to bend down the little curled edge on top of the frame rail ends. You'll only need to use the grinder if you are installing a bigger winch like the Zeon. I really like the new 'Integrit' powder coating from ARB. It is an exact match to the stock plastic of the Jeep. The only pain in the but was installing the Zeon winch. You cant pre-mount it and still be able to reach the inside bumper mounting bolts.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Just installed an ARB stubby on mine. Very straight forward easy install. I would say the install is reversable the only permanent modification to the frame is you have to bend down the little curled edge on top of the frame rail ends.

Great info. You know what they say: pictures or it didn't happen.

The new finish looks like AEVs finish. I just wonder if the stubby would look dumb with skinnier tires like 34x10.5s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier