My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanksgiving trip to Death Valley:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ekend-in-Death-Valley-and-Red-Rock-State-park

IMG_7268_zps994c6161.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
how were the tires? they do look noticeably wider than your old 235s

Love the tires, they're perfect for my needs...so far LOL.
I think BFG ATs or any other ATs in the same size would actually look wider/nicer IMHO than even these KM2s (these have much larger voids and less surface area).

Brilliant! I'm gonna have to steal that idea now...

Truck looks awesome with those 265s on it now by the way.

Steal away! glad you like it and thanks for the compliment.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Love the tires, they're perfect for my needs...so far LOL.
I think BFG ATs or any other ATs in the same size would actually look wider/nicer IMHO than even these KM2s (these have much larger voids and less surface area).

so who needs a pretty new set of 265/75R16 BFG MTs? Looks like stioc will have them for sale by spring :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
haha...not unless these tires do something stupid. I think I'm going to hang on to these, the stioc-tire-fire-sale is over :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Here's what's been on my mind for some time now...GVWR.

GVWR on the door jamb says 5300lbs. The Curbweight of the truck is approx 4300lbs for a total payload of 1000lbs. Some might be surprised to hear that's not a lot for a family truckster. Let's see how my truck is doing with the 1000lbs payload:

Weight increase (in lbs) from fixed items (items that are always on the truck)
-Sliders 80
-Roof rack 80
-Skid plates 30
-Hi-lift 35
-Battery: 53 (vs. 35 stock)
-Compressor: 5
-Cargo barrier: 20
-Storage platform: 30
-Tools: 27
.toolbox
.fire ext
.flat repair kit
.air hose
.stakes
-2x Plastic bins: 30
-Wheels and tires: 100lbs heavier than stock
.Wheels: 24 x 4 = 96 (vs. 84lbs stock wheels)
.KM2: 53 x 4 = 212 (vs. 128 stock tires)

Total: 550lbs

Camping mode add-ons:
-Fridge empty: 40
-Smitty ramps: 18
-2x Rotopax: 10
-Scepter water tank: 5
-tent: 20
-pads: 5
-bags: 10
-crate: 8
-table: 15
-chairs: 10
-clothing: 40
5gal water: 40
kitchen box (food, supplies etc): 40
5gal gas: 40

Total: 300

Grand Total: 850lbs before passengers, that'another 400lbs for a family of three and a dog so we're now at 1250lbs or so- approx 250-300lbs exceeding GVWR. Now the suspension and tires are plenty capable of handling this load just fine and highway driving doesn't even tax the components much but thrashing around offroad is quite another story and definitely tough on equipment (structure/frame, joints, brakes, hubs etc). While not the end of the world but lately I've started to give some thought to reducing weight. Now before anyone suggests, going on a diet for myself is out of the question, ditching the dog I'm told is not an option either nor is adding more crap like winches etc...anyone got any ideas? How does your list of 'crap' compare to mine? :coffee:

Allof75

Pathfinder
Shouldn't the weight of only the spare be added to the GVWR? Otherwise all four tires and wheels are just rolling resistance/static weight at the wheels? Not loading the suspension vertically.

Dmski

Adventurer
On my old Xterra I had to pay attention to gvrw when I went on my trip to Moab and also on extended ski trips with gear for people in the car food water etc. I also had a heavy front bumper and some small skids. On that rig it was certainly noticeable in my fuel efficiency and power department but I never felt taxed when I was off Road per se. To be honest, your set up is really good in my opinion and cutting out wait would be pretty difficult without cutting out important parts that you typically use fairly frequently. I know back then you were considering not going with sliders which could still be an option but I'm sure they have saved your bacon a couple times and they are a step and a recovery point for a highlift so I don't think I'd go that route. The place to look would be lightening up camp gear. Maybe taking a leaf from an ultralight camping set up could help you out.

Maybe creating a lighter storage compartment and organizational set up inside could help but I don't know how you could make it any later than what you have. Carbon fiber?

stioc

Expedition Leader
@Allof75 - you're right the wheels/tires are un-sprung weight but their weight does count towards GVWR.

@Dmski - hehe yeah I've always been pretty cautious about adding weight (what and where) so there's really not a whole lot to cut out that's why I posted to see if others had any ideas that I may not be thinking of. I could trade in my leather+heated+powered seats for basic/manual cloth ones but that will save me probably about 30lbs total if that.

What I've been considering is a small trailer- with that I could easily spare the truck from carrying 300+lbs. The truck will still be pulling that weight (and the weight of the trailer) but it's easier to tow a light weight trailer than carry that weight and always be space challenged. I could even consider a RTT for the trailer and be up off the ground especially in the rain. However, there's no free lunch so the draw backs are...limited to 55mph towing speed limit in CA, another thing to park/stow away, may cause issues on tight technical trails.

duke90

Adventurer
That is what I was going to suggest..a trailer, but you do much more advanced off-road trails then I do and I'm not sure how well a trailer would do on those trails. Any way to reinforce certain parts of the subframe that might be particularly prone to the stress of going above the GVWR?

XPLORx4

Adventurer
The GVWR is for a stock R50 with stock brakes and stock suspension, which yours is not. Just don't jump the truck Dukes of Hazzard style and you'll be OK. :)

richard310

pew pew
Good thought on checking your GVWR. With the higher load ratings of the better tires, I'm sure that will increase your GVWR s bit more to accommodate the heavier loads including the upgraded suspension. It's crazy how fast you can creep up to the maximum rating with a simple camping trip.

Your tent, bags and pads weigh 35lbs!? Yikes you can definitely shed weight there. My tent is no more than 6lbs and the combined weight of I and my girlfriends bag and pads are no more 10lbs... Clothing shouldn't be 40lbs, unless you're not rewearing clothes. I only bring extra socks, underwear and maybe a shirt and pants plus a good jacket. No more than 10lbs tops x 2. She's packing similar too but maybe an extra 5lbs max.

Grab some camping chairs that are made for backpacking. You can shed half that weight to 5lbs or so.

Find some lighter weight wheels. That will help in rotational mass and shed your wheel/tire weight especially having stock wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior