changing rear camshaft seals

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
How long should I plan for to do the rear seals and is there anything else I should look at while I'm back there?

Monstero

Adventurer
Quick and easy....nothing else to look for....i did both mine in half hour a little while back....only two bolts takes off and on.....

montypower

Adventure Time!
There is only 1 cam seal to replace (passenger head). The other one has the cam sensor in it (rarely leaks) and if it does, replace the cam sensor. Takes 5-10 min if you've done it before. You are working blind but there is plenty of room to fit a ratchet.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There is only 1 cam seal to replace (passenger head). The other one has the cam sensor in it (rarely leaks) and if it does, replace the cam sensor. Takes 5-10 min if you've done it before. You are working blind but there is plenty of room to fit a ratchet.

Passenger side rear is where it's leaking from but will replace both, on the SOHC 98 engine the sensor is on the front of the cam shaft, see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJlVz9SawEE

I'll be so glad when I get rid of this nasty oil on the exhaust smell.

dorifto-san

Creeper
I'll be doing the same this Sunday, it doesn't seem very hard at all. I'm going to spray a ton of degreaser back there though, I can't stand the smell of burning oil every time I park and get out. I'll try to do a write up if I don't get too lazy.

MascotRejct

Adventurer
I'm in the process of putting mine back together. I ended up putting an o ring on the drivers side rear with the cam sensor. Tightened it down really well, but I'm not gonna throw some codes due to the cam sensor am I? There seemed to be some sealant on it when I took it off the first time anyways.

ljense8

Adventurer
I also have a quick question regarding these. I ordered new rear cam seals from rock auto. I was expecting them to be o-rings, but they are shaped like shallow cups. Is this correct? I haven't pulled the old ones out yet, but if they are correct, I will be doing them tonight. I can take pictures if it helps clarify.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I also have a quick question regarding these. I ordered new rear cam seals from rock auto. I was expecting them to be o-rings, but they are shaped like shallow cups. Is this correct? I haven't pulled the old ones out yet, but if they are correct, I will be doing them tonight. I can take pictures if it helps clarify.

They are O rings as seen in the video I posted above.

TheMole

Adventurer

I believe you ordered the wrong ones as they should be o-rings as mentioned above. The rockauto "rear camshaft seal" description is a bit deceptive as it's for a different camshaft seal. You need the rear camshaft o-ring (thrust plate o-ring). The OEM part # should be MN176208 per the sticky at the top of this forum. Just a did a quick search for the OEM part # and ebay seems to be the cheapest after shipping. I'm going to order a pair and change them out for some cheap and easy preventative maintenance. Thanks for the heads up guys! :)

ljense8

Adventurer
I will also be ordering the correct o-rings, as I already have my intake and valve covers off to do valve covers and such.

jhill15

Explorer
Does anyone have pics or a video of the rear cam seal for a 3rd gen with the 3.8? Also do you access the seal from underneath the truck or just reach behind the engine inbetween the firewall?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, ive never done this before but need to and I dont wanna pay the dealer a ton of $$$ to do it as it sounds relatively simple to achieve. .

Thanks everyone

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have pics or a video of the rear cam seal for a 3rd gen with the 3.8? Also do you access the seal from underneath the truck or just reach behind the engine inbetween the firewall?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, ive never done this before but need to and I dont wanna pay the dealer a ton of $$$ to do it as it sounds relatively simple to achieve. .

Thanks everyone

Did you already check Google for images and video search?

jhill15

Explorer
Most everything I saw was for the sport. There was one thread on another forum for a 2002 ltd but everything was basically like reach behind the engine and feel around the cylinder head for the 2 12mm bolts.

MascotRejct

Adventurer

Thanks everyone

http://www.mitsubishilinks.com/

that link should have a download of a 2003 fsm on it.
Not sure if that will help at all, but the 2003's have the 3.8 I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles