Dilemma of which to KEEP.... Wrangler or Grand Cherokee

Tdog02

I love my wrangler and would really like a Rubi with the pentastar. That said, I would go GC in your position. Unless you are planning on running the Rubicon, you can get really far off the beaten path with a GC and it is one very nice vehicle. After payoff, go buy an old YJ or TJ for the wrangler experience. Just my opinion after 2 years driving my new to me TJ. It went well until I have to do a 41 mile one way commute to work. After right at 2 hours in her everyday I can say that my Jeep is wonderful at short distances and camping and fishing with just me but if you add the wife and 9yr old daughter... then not so much.

91AzXJ

Adventurer
My .02 worth: Not the same thing but a parallel in another dimension. I have a 00 XJ with 3.5" lift, custom bumpers and it trails well. Wife has an 11 70th anniv. Liberty with all the skids, 3.73's with limited slip and every conceivable option. I love driving her Libby but find myself going back to the XJ because I enjoy the lift and overall capability of it. I plan on putting a 2" lift on the Liberty but would still be very hesitant to take it a lot of places where I take the XJ because of the damage to sheet metal. I would keep the JK for sure.

Big50

Adventurer
You'd loose the least selling the Wrangler since they have better resale value and the GC just had a facelift. I loved my 12 GC and miss it to this day. I chose to go back in to a full size truck though.

She was a very comfy DD and pretty capable offroad. Only thing I had a love/hate relationship was the 4wd system. It would get me where ever I needed to go but it would just take over. There were a couple times where I'd give it some gas to try and pop over an obstacle and would just crawl over them instead even though I had the go pedal to the floor. But in in the end I would clear it and it does keep you from damaging the Jeep by not letting you get to much momentum once you clear the obstacle and coming down hard.

Either way you can't go wrong. Here's a video of my 12 in action. Pretty much shows the limits of it's capabilities.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Same dilemma. Going to test drive a GC and possibly trade in my JKU. It would be way easier to get my dog in and out of it. A few reasons to stay with the JKU is I have no carpet so fur is not an issue. Ride quality would be night and day better with a GC.

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I've discussed it with my wife over the last year. I could get rid of my JKUR and be completely out of paymentville, but the dang thing just puts a smile on my face every time I drive it! I say keep the JKUR. The GC is just another SUV, but the JKU is one of a kind.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
I've discussed it with my wife over the last year. I could get rid of my JKUR and be completely out of paymentville, but the dang thing just puts a smile on my face every time I drive it! I say keep the JKUR. The GC is just another SUV, but the JKU is one of a kind.

Definitely true. Having something that nice is worry some with having a dog. Sometimes the JKU is just a beating to drive. Taking on a bigger loan is also a real detractor for me. I've replaced 3 water pumps in less than a year and that is a beating. I'm sure I will stick with the JKU which will be paid off by summer and still have warranty left.

Jurfie

Adventurer
One thing to note...lysol still has the JKUR (his OP is a year old).

No one could drag my JKR out of my hands (other than my wife - lol - but at least I drive the heck out of it on the weekends). If I had the funds, I'd be buying a JKUR for myself and let the wife drive the JKR. The seats in my '14 are pretty dang comfortable on long trips...more so than my Acura's seats.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Parked next to a GC today at Whole Foods. The GC is just like every other SUV on the market. I guess in 20 years when I'm in my 60's and can't get into a JKU anymore then I will buy a GC. I can still lift my elderly dog into the Jeep so for now there will be no trading of the JKU unless its for another JKU, but a Rubicon this time. The GC has no soul. The Wrangler will always catch my eye when driving.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Parked next to a GC today at Whole Foods. The GC is just like every other SUV on the market. I guess in 20 years when I'm in my 60's and can't get into a JKU anymore then I will buy a GC. I can still lift my elderly dog into the Jeep so for now there will be no trading of the JKU unless its for another JKU, but a Rubicon this time. The GC has no soul. The Wrangler will always catch my eye when driving.

Real men do not step foot in a Whole Foods....just sayin...:coffee:

Idahoan

Adventurer
Like an earlier post... I've had them all and I only regret letting go of CJ and Wranglers. Keep the Rubi.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
anyone who claims the JK is uncomfortable on long drives never has been on a long road trip with one. and sips tea with their pinky in the air. My 2011 has 150,000 on it now and its super comfortable. Loaded up or just a little gear, it does exactly what we ask of it and never complains. Its awesome.

lysol

Explorer
One thing to note...lysol still has the JKUR (his OP is a year old).

We decided to keep both. The Grand Cherokee is coming up on 33k miles and the Wrangler is at about 15k. Both are half paid for now so we figure just keep em both. I enjoy driving my Wrangler and she can't get enough of her V8 GC... lol. I'm still not 100% on the longevity of the GC yet though with all the electronics and air suspension. I would really like to see 200k+ out of both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles