Two 130's and Something Slightly Longer

eco 45

Supporting Sponsor
I call it an occupational hazard, but according to my wife I have a serious problem!

Hoarder
(Adj) A word that describes anyone that feels the need to find, collect, keep, pack ANY and EVERYTHING because they do not know how to throw things away.

Somehow over the past several years I have amassed enough parts to build 3.5 Defender 130's, lets not talk about the 110 and 90 parts. For quite some time I have promised to build my wife another Defender after we sold her last one and the time has come. But then I thought to myself....if you are going to build one might as well build a second one....sort of like potato chips...one is never enough. Two frame off builds would be a challenge, but what about the other 1.5 parts laying around......a few late nights on the internet combined with a nice Scotch and plans for a 130+ were launched. But for now the focus will be on the 130's.....wont be a speedy build as I have way too many irons in the fire, but I promise lots of photos.

Two new chassis's....one direct from Land Rover freshly powder coated and one galvanized chassis from Marshland.

IMG_0596.jpg IMG_6375.JPG

eco 45

Supporting Sponsor
The Wife's truck

Here are a few details that will be incorporated into the wife's new ride.
-130 Wagon on the galvanized chassis
-Partial lifting roof for camping
-Turbo diesel with variable vane turbo----all mechanical because it really stinks when a sensor leaves you stranded
-Roll Cage starting external then going internal
-LHD conversion with updated bulkhead and dash
-new doors
-exmoor heated seats with second row seats pushed back for better leg room
-will also get some tuck and tumble third row seats
-looking to integrate a camping box with stove that I have which could be easily removed when not camping
-custom rock sliders with steps as she is on the shorter side:)
-second fuel tank for longer range
-possible water tank
-diesel heater
-Front Runner side windows that open

That's a start to the list anyway. She is still thinking of color options for the truck, but she had better hurry as parts will start to go together soon.

eco 45

Supporting Sponsor
So this is the current Dash configuration:

IMG_6381.JPG

Here is what we are changing over to for the LHD conversion:

IMG_6382.JPGIMG_6383.JPGIMG_6384.JPG

I bought a cab off of a Land Rover factory demo truck from 2012. Not very old, but the factory doesn't treat items nice. I think they parked this particular truck in the English canal for most of its life as there is rust even though it is only a couple years old!

IMG_6385.JPGIMG_6386.JPGIMG_6387.JPG

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Scott,
Thank you for the update, but you're right, that is a lot of corrosion in a short period of time :(

eco 45

Supporting Sponsor
Started modifying the existing roll cage for the future lifting roof. Still up in the air as to whether I want to do a one off roof or modify an existing model to fit the 130. Most lifting roofs don't accommodate a roll cage and this vehicle will have a roll cage. The rear portion of the truck will go from external to internal roll cage.

IMG_6379.JPGIMG_6380.JPGIMG_6388.JPGIMG_6389.JPGIMG_6390.JPG

rlynch356

Defyota
Me too :) Awesome project - I keep musing over converting my 90st into something longer.. I just haven't hoarded enough parts yet.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Started modifying the existing roll cage for the future lifting roof. Still up in the air as to whether I want to do a one off roof or modify an existing model to fit the 130. Most lifting roofs don't accommodate a roll cage and this vehicle will have a roll cage. The rear portion of the truck will go from external to internal roll cage.

Thank you very much for sharing about this, Scott.

Very interested to see how there will be an internal framework that will not interfere with moving about inside with the lifting roof raised, if that is the intention?

Perhaps following how Mulgo did their first 130 lifting roof will allow for making a one off, rather than modifying an existing one as those seem to be a bit rare around here?

Thanks again for starting this thread :D

Last edited:

eco 45

Supporting Sponsor
Well, I survived the holidays and finally found some time to start stripping the new bulkhead/cab for repairs and restoration. The cab being taken apart will be used to complete all three vehicles mentioned in this build. Hopefully the photos all work as I am in the process of changing photo hosting and updating my website.....I would blame my web guy....but that is a hat I also wear. I love the fact that Defenders are Legos for big kids!

IMG_6407-M.jpg

IMG_6409-M.jpg

IMG_6410-M.jpg

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I love the fact that Defenders are Legos for big kids!

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for the update.

True words, indeed ! That must be why we love Defenders :D

Very glad you survived the holidays. Super excited for you that the project continues.

Please let us know a bit more about the roll cage work, if possible.... Thanks :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles