Time for New Tires

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If I had to pick just one, I'd pick the ST-Maxx.
The way I look at it is, where am I more likely to have a tire failure and how inconvenient will it be. From your description it's the long boondoggles to remote ares, the places that the ST-Maxx will give you a bit more security.

Or get the AT3s and a second set of tires/wheels and run STs on those for the rough stuff...

GFA

Adventurer
I remember that blizzard! Man that was a lot of snow. Those wimps in Buffalo need to stop their complaining!

That must be the storm my parents talk about that was the deciding factor to move us away from Binghamton a few years after I was born there. Every time I pass through that hell hole I'm thankful of that storm!!!

I see the ATS in stores locally but not the AT3, is there a big difference in them? They will probably be going on my F150 in the spring.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Toyo M55 has a 33" version in 16" and 17". they have a 255/85. I plan to get some for my van and was thinking of trying them on my jeep first. They might ride a little hard for a jeep though?

Idahoan

Adventurer
I have Toyo AT in 285/75r17... They were really good but totally suck on ice and snow. When I ran smaller tires, I usually went Bridgestone Revo... They were great in all the conditions I hit. My company trucks all run the Cooper M&S in the winter and I've had good luck with them.

If I were going to get something more aggressive, I'd probably go for Goodyear Duratrac.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
That must be the storm my parents talk about that was the deciding factor to move us away from Binghamton a few years after I was born there. Every time I pass through that hell hole I'm thankful of that storm!!!
Bingleton isn't all that bad; be nice. It's close to the Poconos, it isn't New Jersey, and it has great Speedies.
I hear they're getting color TV soon too.

GFA

Adventurer
Bingleton isn't all that bad; be nice. It's close to the Poconos, it isn't New Jersey, and it has great Speedies.
I hear they're getting color TV soon too.

Haha, if it weren't for speedies and Brozzetti's pizza I'd never go back. Surprised to hear you know what speedies are, they're unheard of outside of Broome county it seems.

I can't believe it's taken this long to get color TV back after IBM took it with them...

LL247

Observer
To chime in to the OP, I have similar driving needs and also live in Pittsburgh. Basically work 2 miles from home, like to explore more than hard-core wheel, and most miles are highway visiting family or friends that reside in New Hampshire. I used to be the standard 4-6'' lift and 35's guy on my last 3 JKU's and would eventually hate the ride/handling for what I use it for. This time I pulled the trigger on 33'' ST Maxx's after a ton of research. Unfortunately can't give and in-depth review since my wheels are sitting at Pro-Trucks waiting for the tires to get there. Another factor in the choice is that I'm currently on 33'' STT's and have been very impressed with these Coopers. I'm a research fanatic and can't come away with any bad info on the Maxx's so far.

Just my 2 cents, wanted to chime since we're driving in the same city and have similar tire needs.

mmmm gas

To chime in to the OP, I have similar driving needs and also live in Pittsburgh. Basically work 2 miles from home, like to explore more than hard-core wheel, and most miles are highway visiting family or friends that reside in New Hampshire. I used to be the standard 4-6'' lift and 35's guy on my last 3 JKU's and would eventually hate the ride/handling for what I use it for. This time I pulled the trigger on 33'' ST Maxx's after a ton of research. Unfortunately can't give and in-depth review since my wheels are sitting at Pro-Trucks waiting for the tires to get there. Another factor in the choice is that I'm currently on 33'' STT's and have been very impressed with these Coopers. I'm a research fanatic and can't come away with any bad info on the Maxx's so far.

Just my 2 cents, wanted to chime since we're driving in the same city and have similar tire needs.

Im in the same boat also and I live just south of Pittsburgh. I had the Cooper STT and when I bought my new wheels a few years ago the came with almost new BFG all terrains.I couldn't wait to go back to the Coopers STT but then the Maxx's came out. I did a ton of research and couldn't find anything negative so I ordered them up. I've only had the on for a month or so but I really like them. My BFG all terrains were an
E rated tire and so are the Maxx's but the ride is alot less ridged with the Maxx's. To me the tread pattern sets them between an all terrain and a mud terrain. Now if southwestern PA will just gets its act together and start winter I would really like to get out and see how these tires do in some ugly stuff.

kpredator

Adventurer
we have a set of ST-MAX on our jeep. we live around the bluffs of the mississippi river.
steep snow covered roads already this year.finding that the traction is so good ,dont need to lock into 4 wheel drive as often.
will get another set for my truck when needed.

jm2c

kp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles