Sell me on a Jeep!

GrantC

Observer
I'm considering buying a new-to-me vehicle and would like to get some feedback from owners. There is a story here, so bear with me!

Currently my wife and I drive Mitsubishi Monteros - I have an '87, she has a '97. I like the vehicles, but the manual transmissions in the '87 are apparently weak (mine needs a rebuild at 135k miles), and the V6 used in the later versions have issues with valve guide seals, cam seals, breaking butterfly valves in the intake, etc. The V6 is also a serious PITA to work on, which is an issue since I do all of my own work.

Parts availability is an issue (the nearest dealer is an hour and a half away), as are the vehicles themselves (I'm in Oregon but well outside of the PDX area.) I'd like to replace the '87 with something from the late '90s, but low-mileage Monteros of that vintage without major problems are quite rare in my neck of the woods.

So, I'm considering switching brands to one which is more common, easier to work on, and hopefully has fewer problems than the Mitsubishis. Of course the Jeep Cherokee is the most common competitive model, and so I've been nosing around Craigslist and found lots of them available, many with low miles. (I've determined that the 4.0l is the best engine, based on what I've been reading, but would like to know if there are any other good choices.)

Usage: daily driver, frequent expedition/recreational driving in spring/summer (unimproved or historical roads); inclement weather during fall/winter. We're not into rock climbing or mudding, so major mods will not be a concern. We keep cars until they're just no longer serviceable, so models that will easily go past 200k without major work are what we're looking for (neither of our Mitsubishis has made that cut!)

The questions I have:
1) Are Cherokees with that engine relatively easy to work on?
2) What are the major problems with mid-90s to mid-00 examples? Engines, transmissions, transfer cases, differentials, electrical — what issues requiring major replacements or rebuilds seem to happen with regularity?
3) How is maintenance/repair as the mileage gets past 150k?

Finally, in your mind what is the one major objective reason to pick a Jeep over, say, a Toyota or Nissan (which are the only other brands I'm considering, and I'll be asking the same questions of their owners)?

the59sound

Observer
I can speak to what i have, and a little to what i know about other years. I currently drive a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0 auto with a NP242 transfer case. They XJ most commonly comes with a NP231. The only real difference that i have seen (and anyone feel free to correct me) is that the 242 has full time 4wd, along with all the other 4wd options (2hi 4hi 4lo) as for the diff's i have a LP (low pinion) Dana 30 up front and a Corp 8.25 in the rear. A lot of other XJ's have Dana 35's in the rear. The D35 is a weaker axle. In older XJ's you'll see some with a HP D30 (high pinion). from what i know about that is the HP allows for a higher lift b/c of the internals in the diff. (again correct me if i'm worng.)as for the year ranges here is the little bit i know. starting in 97 they had a little bit of body changes along with interior upgrades. now in 2000 they also changed the head on the 4.0 to a 0331. this head is prone to cracking and making you put out a pretty penny in repairs. the easiest way to keep this from happening is not letting it over heat. so making sure the cooling system is in good shape is always a big thing to look into. as for the mileage.. mine has 209XXX miles on it. with the 4.0 as long as you are good to it with regular oil changes and just over all proper maintenance then you will see way more than 200K. a lot of people that are looking for XJ's look for the 97-99 year range. they have the newest body style, upgraded interior buy also have the previous head on the engine keeping them from having to worry about it cracking.

now why should you buy a jeep rather than a toyota or nissan. that is you're opinion. i love jeeps and can see myself always having one. whether is for off roading, camping, whatever. i like yota and nissans... but its a jeep thing.

i use my xj for the same thing that you are looking to use it for. i'm over mud. rock crawling doesn't interest me at this time in my life. for me its all about getting out and seeing everything i can. mine is completely stock as far as suspension and all that goes. it needs a little love in the cooling system but other than that it does great. the 4.0 I6 is one of the best engines i've ever had the pleasure to drive/work on. they are tested and simple. i know i didn't answer all you asked but i gave you the knowledge i had. if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

good luck! :sombrero:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The Jeep XJ is a great vehicle, the main reason it remained in production from 1984 all the way to 2001. The reason they killed it off was not lack of buyers (2000 was supposed to be the last year but so many were ordered they ran it for 2001 as well) but emissions targets. The 4.0L lump is an excellent motor, a proven workhorse and still reasonably simple to work on. 2000 and 2001 were the years that they got it right (IMHO) with a modern Distributor-less Ignition System (DIS) and they were the cleanest running and had the best economy. This is not to say the older ones are not as good, I just like the DIS system better than spending money on throw away parts. I have not ever heard of a coil pack failing in these Jeeps.

0331 heads have had issues, but I think it is overblown. The rate of failures is not as high as the internet will have you think. Honestly replacing a head on these is not a hard job, and the bottom ends last forever with proper maintenance. Even if you had a head failure, you could be back up and running for another 200,000 in a weekend and for reasonable $$.

Things I like about the XJ:

- Rugged
- BILLIONS of aftermarket parts
- Still new products being developed and marketed for a vehicle that left production in 2001
- Easy to work on
-Superb internet support matrix and knowledge base
- 4.0L IL6
- NP231 is a stout TC, will take a beating and keep on ticking

Things I dont like about the XJ

- It is an old design, and it has its flaws (squeaks and rattles)
- It has some quirks, though not many to be honest especially if you get a good one
- LP Dana 30 is limiting if lifting tall, but swaps are readily available and easy to do
- D35 is not a good diff, but for moderate use and on moderate sized tires it is serviceable

It really depends on the XJ you decide to buy. If you get a smokin deal on a "project", you could be in for some maintenance pain. In my case, I bought mine from my mother in law, and she got it from the original owner...a realtor in a very expensive area. It leasd a simple and pampered life, so it was cherry when I got it. There are superb condition units still available, buy one of those and start with a solid platform. Go with a newer one, an XJ of 97+ vintage. Better rear diff (29 spline CH 8.25), better intake and as stated I really like the 2000/2001 with the DIS. Interior is a little nicer and more modern too. If you can find a LTD, grab it, the leather seats are really nice, easy to clean and they also have the overhead console which is handy (compass etc).

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask, I am happy to answer. Had mine for 7 years almost now and I love it.

:coffeedrink:

DaJudge

Explorer
I have had mine for 9yrs. I keep thinking about selling it and getting a more "modern" vehicle but I just can't bring myself to do it. It has bee super reliable and takes me everywhere I want to go.
Here is a list of the things I have had to replace do to failure (i.e. not me being stupid and breaking something):
1. Turn signal controller
2. Master window switch
The 0331 head on the 2000, 2001 has been blown out of proportion but if it scares you get a '99.
'97+ models with ABS have the D35 rear end, Non-ABS ones have Chryco 8.25.
I hated the factory seats but that was easily fixed because the WJ Grand Cherokee seats are a direct bolt in.
Cooling system is marginal but if you maintain it you will not have any issues.
I did a lot of research on www.naxja.org before I bought mine.
XJs really are super reliable.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have had 4 Cherokees in the last 15 years. Sold every one just because I'm a truck guy. I loved them beat them wheeled them hard. I lived in Moab for 1 year ran that poor 92 xj hard every night after work. It had almost 300k when I sold it. The guy I sold it to still drives it and uses it off road at least once a month. They are fairly easy to work on hold up pretty well parts nearly pall fro. The sky.

If I was in the place to need one I would pick one up I. A heart beat and I'm from Oregon my dad still owns a 1991 2 door 3.5 lift and 35s also has a 87 Comanche lots of mods and 36s.

GrantC

Observer
So... you want a jeep a toyota or a nissan? :)

Interestingly...

As I mentioned, I've asked basically these same questions from owners of all three. Nissan owners were the least convincing, and despite my friend's experience my research shows that the Nissans are more in line with the Mitsubishis I already have. The result is that my decision really comes down to the two historic off road competitors: Jeep or Toyota, and there are good points to be made for each.

If they were closer in price I'd probably pick the LandCruiser just because of the heavier frame, but Toyota prices have been pushed up rather substantially by urban fanboys making the Jeep a better value. Plus, in my area you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Jeep so there are plenty of low-mileage examples to choose from.

Unless I find an outstanding deal on a LC, I suspect a Cherokee is in my future.

GrantC

Observer
So... you want a jeep a toyota or a nissan? :)

While I'm thinking about it...what, exactly, is a Grand Cherokee? I'm finding references to them being the replacement for the old Wagoneer (which was, as I recall, a bigger vehicle than the Cherokee), but they appear to be the same size as the XJ series.

So, is it an XJ with nicer trim and interior, or a different vehicle altogether? Better/worse for offroad driving?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
The King of Cool, the Viceroy of Comfort,

While I'm thinking about it...what, exactly, is a Grand Cherokee? I'm finding references to them being the replacement for the old Wagoneer (which was, as I recall, a bigger vehicle than the Cherokee), but they appear to be the same size as the XJ series.

So, is it an XJ with nicer trim and interior, or a different vehicle altogether? Better/worse for offroad driving?

The Grand Cherokee, back in the '80's to early '90s was this awesome big old lug of a wagon. Beautiful lines. When dressed up, a very classy and comfortable Town & Country vehicle for country-club set. But like every Jeep, it is a capable vehicle. Lifted with a nice set of tires looks really awesome. Just have to mind it's size, and expect performance relative to it's stature (read big and heavy).

showpic.php

GrantC

Observer
The Grand Cherokee, back in the '80's to early '90s was this awesome big old lug of a wagon. Beautiful lines. When dressed up, a very classy and comfortable Town & Country vehicle for country-club set. But like every Jeep, it is a capable vehicle. Lifted with a nice set of tires looks really awesome. Just have to mind it's size, and expect performance relative to it's stature (read big and heavy).

Yeah, I'm thinking more the mid-90s examples. They sure look smaller than the old Wagoneers (I'm a former IH TravelAll owner, so don't talk to me about big!)

GrantC

Observer
OK, I'm sold!

OK guys - I've decided to go Jeep. Durability, parts availability, and vehicle availability have really pushed me to Jeep. (Not to mention cost, both of the vehicle and parts.)

I'm going to be looking for a late-90s Cherokee (though I may consider a Grand Cherokee as well.) I'm only going to consider the 4.0l, as I don't really care about "power" but do care about longevity and ease of maintenance. (Looked up the rear seal replacement procedure - can't believe it's that easy!)

My only question now: what do I need to look out for? What are the common issues?

Wikipedia says that Jeep used three different auto transmissions; any of them known for being plagued with failures (like, say, the infamous Ford E4OD?)

Any differences in axles/transfer cases to look at? What about the Selec-Trac or Quadra-Trac options - one less prone to problems than the other?

I already know about the 2000-2001 head issues, and they don't bother me all that much, but unless I find a deal I'll probably stick with the earlier versions - there seems to be no shortage to choose from.

Anything else I need to know? Any particular problems to look for?

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'm thinking more the mid-90s examples. They sure look smaller than the old Wagoneers (I'm a former IH TravelAll owner, so don't talk to me about big!)

That's awesome. I've helped a friend part a few of those out. You definitely know big... and heavy! :beer:
Yeah the mid 90's Grand Cherokee was totally different and smaller than the big old Wagons. I don't know the difference between it and the regular Cherokee.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
If you go Grand Cherokee, beware the 4.7 V8 in the '99-'04 models. They're bad for jumping time.

No, they are not. They are an overhead cam engine and it is possible the guides wear but they are not "bad" for jumping time. I own two vehicles with this engine, one (2003) with 160K miles and one (1999) with 260K miles. Both on original chains and guides.

It is a proven, reliable, powerful and efficient engine. It was a fantastic replacement to the 318.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior