Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

bigfish

Observer
15771590831_a590e89dda_o.jpg

So, I replaced my rear swaybar with a Road Master 9/8" bar (part number 1129-132). It's the same unit that Earthroamer used on the XV-JP. It virtually eliminated the sketchy top heaviness my Jeep has. I have extra weight of solar panels and other stuff. It was pretty bad and set off the traction control several times on the highway. I'd highly recommend this mod to anyone with an Ursa or other RTT. In my mind, its a safety thing, and in all seriousness, it could save your life. I just thought I'd share.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
15771590831_a590e89dda_o.jpg

So, I replaced my rear swaybar with a Road Master 9/8" bar (part number 1129-132). It's the same unit that Earthroamer used on the XV-JP. It virtually eliminated the sketchy top heaviness my Jeep has. I have extra weight of solar panels and other stuff. It was pretty bad and set off the traction control several times on the highway. I'd highly recommend this mod to anyone with an Ursa or other RTT. In my mind, its a safety thing, and in all seriousness, it could save your life. I just thought I'd share.

Wow, that think looks beefy.

Does it bolt directly in with the stock muffler and rear storage cubby?

Thanks,
-Dan

bigfish

Observer
Yeah, factory fit. Easy install once you figure out the puzzle of twist and push to work it into position.

jktowhere

Observer
Side note - who owns the white jeep that was park in denver (pearl st) about a week ago with the top and propane? Tank? That was the day I moved in next door and I have not seen it since. Long shot I know...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been working on a project that I think has a lot of applicability to the ursa minor - replacing the JK factory hardtop factory lift glass hatch with a swinging "barn door". Molded in fiberglass, and attaching to the tailgate not unlike how an upper attaches to a half door, it creates a one-piece swinging rear door. I've got a thread on this project, but I'm posting it here as well to get some feedback from people who are familiar with/interested in ursa minor.

Here's a video showing an early prototype in action; in this video the glass hasn't been installed yet.

The JK in the video above has the later model wide hatch opening, but the same molds are used to create a barn door for the early model narrower opening, which is the same as the ursa minor hatch opening. The video above also shows one of the two prototype designs for mounting the upper on the tailgate; this design is made of aluminum mounting channel to form a grid which can be used to mount accessories, tables, etc. to the inside of the tailgate as well as mounting the barn door upper.

The factory hatch hinge mount locations, which are no longer needed with the barn door installed, could be used to install an awning; there's one drawn on these concept photos. Even without the ursa minor camper top, the awning would be great for picnicking on the trail.

UrsaMinorAwning1_zps7a91a23e.jpg

The awning could roll up for travel, or easily be removed completely.

UrsaMinorAwning2_zps3346ca4a.jpg

I can post more photos of the actual barn door prototypes if people want to see more or see some details, but I think the video and the concept drawing/photos above tell the story pretty well.

For the record: I do these designs and projects as a hobby, I'm not in business to sell anything, and this post is not a solicitation for sales. All I'm hoping to do with this post is get feedback and criticism from folks here so I can improve my design.

Comments? Criticisms? Suggestions?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
As someone who hates banging his head on the raised hatch in the open position, I like it a lot. However, I'm still partial to the fold down tailgate. Can you figure the Magic tailgate from the Honda Ridgeline that fold down or swings open?

Espo78

Adventurer
I never understood the drop down tailgate thing. Sure it makes sense on a pickup truck when sometimes you need to load items that are too long for the bed. But on a Jeep? All it does is make it more difficult to reach further into the back. I've been trying but I can't really come up with any scenarios where a drop down gate is better than the standard swing open configuration.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
As someone who hates banging his head on the raised hatch in the open position, I like it a lot. However, I'm still partial to the fold down tailgate. Can you figure the Magic tailgate from the Honda Ridgeline that fold down or swings open?

A barn-door like the one I'm building that turns the tailgate into a one-hand operation full barn door requires a side-swinging tailgate; it wouldn't be compatible with a drop-down tailgate or a Ridgeline-style tailgate.

Presto88

Adventurer
I never understood the drop down tailgate thing. Sure it makes sense on a pickup truck when sometimes you need to load items that are too long for the bed. But on a Jeep? All it does is make it more difficult to reach further into the back. I've been trying but I can't really come up with any scenarios where a drop down gate is better than the standard swing open configuration.

A fold down tailgate is a wonderful thing! I have one on my Honda Element and it's just about my favorite feature on that car. I can't even begin to count how many meals and beers I've consumed sitting on that tailgate! Whenever I'm traveling and I want to stop to eat, I just find a nice spot that I can back into (preferably overlooking the ocean or something like that) and I put down the tailgate and have my lunch or dinner or whatever. I have a remote control for the car stereo that I keep in the back next to the hatch, so I can turn the music up or down or change tracks. I also use the tailgate as a table when camping. It's a nice, clean fairly level surface that I can use for food preparation or whatever task is at hand. I love having a tailgate!

Espo78

Adventurer
You can add a folding table to the tailgate in a Wrangler. You can also just open the tailgate and sit in the back of a wrangler the same way you can sit on a tailgate. I get what you're saying but it's really not that different. Still not convinced lol.

Presto88

Adventurer
You can add a folding table to the tailgate in a Wrangler. You can also just open the tailgate and sit in the back of a wrangler the same way you can sit on a tailgate. I get what you're saying but it's really not that different. Still not convinced lol.

Ah, but when you sit in the back of the wrangler your legs end up resting on the bumper which is always filthy! I had a Subaru Forester before my Element (sorry for all these non-Jeep references, I haven't bought my Jeep yet!) and it has a rear one-piece hatch and sitting in the back of that thing was never comfortable. I'd go on ski trips and try to put on my gear while sitting in the back hatch area and everything always ended up a mess. And with the much larger bumper of the Wrangler I can only imagine that problem compounded! With a tailgate there are no worries.

I'm still probably not convincing you. What I can tell you is that I have had cars both with and without a tailgate and to me there is simply no comparison. Maybe after I get my Wrangler I'll see things your way, but I kind of doubt it. Fortunately, there are options out there to change the Wrangler to a drop-down tailgate. Some of them aren't very expensive either. I guess when the time comes I'll give it a more serious look.

The ultimate solution would be the one suggested by NWoods (above) - a Honda Ridgeline type tailgate that opens either way! Now THAT would be nice!

Espo78

Adventurer
The JK tailgate isn't flat, so even after you do your drop down conversion, sitting on it still wouldn't be comfortable. And the conversion kits look terrible and are very expensive.

Presto88

Adventurer
From what I've seen so far, you are correct. I think about 2/3's of it is flat, which is better than nothing! lol. I did see one guy who had an entire tailgate fabricated that was completely flat and it looked really nice, but that is probably prohibitively expensive for me.

The "looks terrible" part doesn't bother me too much. There'll be a big old bumper and spare tire and whatever else hanging off the back so I don't think it'll be that big of a deal to me. Like I said, I'll give it a more serious look when the time comes and take it from there.

OK, enough of the thread hi-jack! How 'bout some UrsaMinor stuff from those of you who are lucky enough to already have them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94