"Bruce" the 2014 Jeep JKUR Build Thread

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
This build thread actually started about a year ago when I created this thread.

I finished the build on my 100-Series Land Cruiser and forgot about the Jeep.

Until one day, I took my wife's car in to the dealer for service. As I waited for my Lyft, I strolled through the neighboring Jeep dealer's lot. A Granite Crystal Pearl JKUR caught my eye. It reminded me of all the great charcoal grey colored Toyota SUVs (FJ62, 1st and 4th Gen 4Runner, 200-Series, etc). As I told my wife how non-heavy duty the Jeep seemed, she said, "then, why do you keep looking at them." I think I was hooked. The Jeep is a great combination of G-Wagen styling, Defender utility (read: farm truck), and Jeep fun, all with a warranty. It's the 4-door FJ that Toyota won't make.

So after a lot of color debate and attempting to game the 2015 ordering process, I found the last 2014 in country with the options I wanted.

2014 Granite Crystal Pearl
Dark Saddle Leather interior w/heated seats
Black Hardtop
5-Speed Auto
4.10 Gearing
Auto Climate Control
Connectivity
730N Navigation system (The one option I didn't want. But it's been fine).
Alpine speakers
Tow Package
Side Airbags

4% under invoice.

I wanted all the options that would make it more comfortable for long distance travel. And all the options that make it better off road. And nothing else. Got pretty close. The Sat Nav isn't worth $2000, but maybe the next owner will think it is.

IMG_8107.JPG

10507045_10101869086188346_5409997156552326384_o.jpg

I'm under a no major mods for one year restriction. So for the next 9 months, we're going to try to figure out what it actually needs. I don't want to repeat some of the mistakes I made on my 100-series and overbuild it too fast.

CURRENT MODS:

Protection:
  • Quadratec all weather floor mats
  • Evo Protek Skid Plate System
  • Mopar door sills
  • Xpel protective film for door edges, door sills and tailgate.
  • Dog hammock for back seat
  • Custom fit sunshade[/COLOR]
  • Radiator bug guard
  • ARB Front diff guard

Comfort/Convenience:
  • M.O.R.E. Foot Rest
  • AEV ProCal to turn on DRLs[/COLOR]
  • Outback Tailgater tailgate table
  • Waeco CF50 Fridge/Freezer

Cargo Managment:
  • Dominion Off Road interior Hi-lift Jack mount and accessory mounts
  • Tuffy 058 Cargo Drawer
  • Trasharoo[/COLOR]
  • Tuffy underseat drawers
  • Front Runner Interior Rack/Shelf
  • Dirty dogs middle row ceiling net
  • Quadratec roll bar fire extinguisher mount
  • Socal Tear Drops 5lb Propane tank roll bar mount
  • Springtail Solutions M-Pac tailgate table/MOLLE rack

Communications/Electronics
  • Modded Yaesu ft8800r 2m HAM radio
  • Teraflex spare tire antenna mount
  • M.O.R.E. Dual Battery tray w/ IBS Dual Battery system and Die Hard Platinum Marine G34 Battery
  • Blue Sea in-cab Aux Fuse Box and 12v plugs
  • Waeco CF50 Fridge w/ARB tie downs

Lighting:
  • Trucklite LED headlights

Recovery:
  • ARB Recovery kit
  • Warn XD9000i Winch w/ 80' 3/8" Kevlar Fireline Synthetic line
  • Rock Hard Winch plate for OEM bumper
  • Trailer hitch D-ring Mount

The fun stuff:
  • AEV 2.5" Lift Kit w/ geometry correction brackets
  • AirLift 1000 rear airbags

I already have most of the above but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Last edited:

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Stock vehicle was spec'd almost exactly like my Crush JKUR. Wonderful vehicle!

I would recommend you go ahead and do the 3.5" AEV with 315's/35" tires. Based on your pictures of your Land Cruiser you will be set with the capability that will give you and then some. I started out with the 2.5" AEV with 315 DuraTrac's and after a couple months of wheeling it realized the 3.5" was the way to go.

Enjoy the new ride!

Maxcustody

Explorer
Big difference from 2.5 to 3.5...........be aware for a lot of additional cost. With the additional height you "should" replace drive shafts..........

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Stock vehicle was spec'd almost exactly like my Crush JKUR. Wonderful vehicle!

I would recommend you go ahead and do the 3.5" AEV with 315's/35" tires. Based on your pictures of your Land Cruiser you will be set with the capability that will give you and then some. I started out with the 2.5" AEV with 315 DuraTrac's and after a couple months of wheeling it realized the 3.5" was the way to go.

Enjoy the new ride!

Thanks Epiccosmo. I'm open to the 3.5" lift and true 35s. But one of my friends, who transitioned from a very similar 100-Series to a 2013 JKUR, claims that his stock JKUR went places his 100 wouldn't. So I'm trying to nip the need vs want argument in the butt. That being said I started with the smaller lift and tires on my 100 and immediately regretted and corrected it. With 4.10s the Jeep is quick, gets decent gas mileage and eats up highway mountain climbs. I don't want to lose that by going to 35s. So if I got to 35's I'd probably also regear. 255/80/17 Pizza cutter tires are also possible replacements for the stock rubber.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would go with a 2" lift and 33's. just enough as far as I am concerned. Thats what I run and I have never wanted for more. The only issue I might have is towing my p-up. I am installing air bags for that, then im good!

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I would go with a 2" lift and 33's. just enough as far as I am concerned. Thats what I run and I have never wanted for more. The only issue I might have is towing my p-up. I am installing air bags for that, then im good!

I don't want to get into a whole lift debate. But that's the plan. With my relatively stock weight JKUR the AEV kit will yield close to 3" of lift, which will solve the breakover angle issues. So then it's just a matter of finding a skinny tire to fill up all that extra space in the wheel well.

33s and no lift look correct. So I can only imagine how much tire you need to make a 3" lift look right.

Unlike most JK owners, I'm going for more of a Edtdecker G-Wagen, overland Defender 110 look and less of the Tonka Truck look. Luckily the JKUR already looks like that. I'm not doing a facelift on a soccer mom-mobile this time.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
You will be super happy with the 2.5" AEV. It makes it ride like a Cadillac compared to the stock suspension. Just be careful wheeling with the brackets. Here is a picture of what mine looked like with the 2.5" AEV on 315's.

Lift & Tires.jpg

Only reason I went to the 3.5" was due to the break-over angle.

kojackJKU

even the teraflex leveling kit. It does make a huge difference compared to stock. My jeep looks nice an big comapred to stock with 33's on it!

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Yeah I'm considering the leveling kit during this "no lift period." But suspect that it'l change the dynamics and limited the uptravel by whatever the lift is.

I hear that the oem suspension is too soft and bottoms out easily. And that the AEV handles better and doesn't brake dive as much. But so far I like it on the road.

kojackJKU

I have no issues with travel, I swapped out my stock shocks to monroe reflex monotubes, improved handling, ride and overall characteristics of the jeep. It will limit up travel a bit, but so does every other lift, with bump stops etc. I think the leveling kit with the monroe shocks is a great upgrade. I am adding a few other suspension bits to complete the system, but I am 100 percent happy with everything now.

zigsrig

Adventurer
I wheeled mine stock. I was very surprised how capable it was. It went everywhere i wanted it to... Though the skid plates did receive a few scratches :sombrero:

NOW... With the 3.5" AVE and the 315 Duratrac's, It will take me anywhere I ask it to with ease. Also, in my opinion, I think it handles better on the twisty roads too.

Either way, You will love it! Especially since you got the best color ever made :wings:

dstock

Explorer
Yeah I'm considering the leveling kit during this "no lift period." But suspect that it'l change the dynamics and limited the uptravel by whatever the lift is.

I hear that the oem suspension is too soft and bottoms out easily. And that the AEV handles better and doesn't brake dive as much. But so far I like it on the road.

What you hear is correct! The stock suspension as soon as you start loading it up is way too soft and will bottom out. Also, even with a TF leveling kit, as soon as you add a heavy bumper/winch combo it will sag over time.

I've been extremely happy with the AEV 2.5 inch lift with the geometry correction brackets, the handling is amazing, brake dive is gone and even when loaded down it still handles well.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I wheeled mine stock. I was very surprised how capable it was. It went everywhere i wanted it to... Though the skid plates did receive a few scratches :sombrero:

Oh no! We're twins.

Yeah. The first longer trip planned for the JKUR is Death Valley over Thanksgiving. I want to get the EVO Protek skidplate system before then to save the undercarriage from the bad break-over angle. I wanted to get the Teraflex HD carrier first, but the Dominion Hi-lift mount makes the Teraflex carrier less of a priority.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
What you hear is correct! The stock suspension as soon as you start loading it up is way too soft and will bottom out. Also, even with a TF leveling kit, as soon as you add a heavy bumper/winch combo it will sag over time.

I've been extremely happy with the AEV 2.5 inch lift with the geometry correction brackets, the handling is amazing, brake dive is gone and even when loaded down it still handles well.

Cool, that's what I figured. No plans of aftermarket bumpers or sliders. Just skids and a front winch plate. I'm putting off getting drawers because I want to keep the overall weight low and retain the flat floor for solo sleeping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles