Jeep Unlimited Purchase Help Please

Strider

Observer
Hello everyone.

Very possible that we'll be getting a new Jeep tomorrow-going to the dealer to talk it out. I drive a 1997 Jeep TJ and its great but we need something with more room for long trips. We've considered a Tacoma crew cab but the Jeep Unlimited has a lot more space.

I would appreciate any advice, comments, recommendations, warnings, etc.

The Jeep will be my wife's daily driver: 30 miles each way to work through some isolated areas where there will be snow, rain, elk... It will also serve as our trip/camping vehicle. We want this to last a long time-like my TJ which has 257,000+ miles. We will use it on long trips on the highway and off the highway. We want an over landing vehicle basically.

We have considered a used one, but are concerned about the problems with the old engines.

We looked at the Rubicons and they are beautiful, but $41,000 seems a bit overpriced. We even saw one that had a $51,000+ price tag. NUTS!!!

The Willys edition looks nice too.
We are also considering a Sport and adding BF Goodrich ATs and an Old Man Emu Suspension.

There are a lot of options and it gets confusing, but I'm thinking the same as when I purchased my TJ: I got the Sport and added things as time went on-including a Ford 8.8 in the rear and the OME suspension. I wish a front Dana 44 was an option but only comes in the Rubicon. Regardless, I think a good suspension upgrade like OME and good tires are the major factors. We don't want all the electronic traction this or that, or power windows etc.

Looking forward to the input.

Thanks!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Get the Rubicon, you will pay a little more up front but save you more in the long run, not to mention they retain their value quite well.

lysol

Explorer
The Rubicon and Sahara are similarly priced. The Sahara has the limited slip diff though which fills the gap between the open diff and locked diffs in the Rubicon. I daily drive my Rubicon Unlimited though. I love it!!! It's not as comfortable as the wifey's Grand Cherokee, but as long as you go into it understanding it, you'll be fine. I would assume that with the Tacoma's IFS (independent front suspension) it would be more road friendly than the Wrangler, though I haven't driven any of the newer Tacoma's.

polizei1

If you're spending that much, you may want to also look into a Grand Cherokee, I absolutely love mine (14' Limited). While it's not the same performance off-road as a JK, I think it will hold it's own in most "normal" situations, and arguably will be more comfortable for day-to-day, and have more space. Mine lives on the road 99% of the time, I just did a basic 2.5" lift and 32" tires.

I'm trying to convince my wife to take my WK2 so I can get a JKUR. Haha!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If you're spending that much, you may want to also look into a Grand Cherokee, I absolutely love mine (14' Limited). While it's not the same performance off-road as a JK, I think it will hold it's own in most "normal" situations, and arguably will be more comfortable for day-to-day, and have more space. Mine lives on the road 99% of the time, I just did a basic 2.5" lift and 32" tires.

I'm trying to convince my wife to take my WK2 so I can get a JKUR. Haha!

No, he wants fewer problems, not more problems.

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
We looked at the Rubicons and they are beautiful, but $41,000 seems a bit overpriced. We even saw one that had a $51,000+ price tag. NUTS!!!

The Willys edition looks nice too.
We are also considering a Sport and adding BF Goodrich ATs and an Old Man Emu Suspension.

what options are you looking at? I got a 4 door Rubicon, hard top, conveniency package, automatic, and factory remote start for under 34k out the door. I know I was lucky but there are deals out there.

The Willys edition is the only other model I would consider.

Last edited:

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
The Rubicon and Sahara are similarly priced. The Sahara has the limited slip diff though which fills the gap between the open diff and locked diffs in the Rubicon.

I am 99% sure only the willy comes with a Limited slip.

donaldj

Observer
I got the Sport Unlimited.

My short term mods are just an ARB air locker for the rear and some more worthy tires. I might do a 2.5" lift one day but I need what gas mileage I can get from it, and the lift isnt overly necessary for what I have planned for it.

Longer term will include a winch.

I guess you'll want to look at what you intend to upgrade, and ensure you're not paying extra for a model that has stuff you will be upgrading anyways.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
If you can't afford a Rubicon, get a sport. You'll love it. The traction control that is standard on all JK's is really quite stellar. Depending on your defiition of overlander, the sport will serve you well in stock form. If it were me, I would buy the new unlimited 3.6 version with the five speed auto, AC, and a hard top. Definetly add the 3.73 gears, maybe the max tow package and you're all set. All you need after that is a good set of tires and you're off and running for a much more affordable price then a Rubicon.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
When looking for the new Jeep, I sent an email to three of my favorite Jeep dealer's internet sales person. The email had the exact vehicle order info, and explained that it was going to my three favorite dealers.
Bottom line it was price, as all three dealers had great service and sales. Got it for $2K under their invoice price. No haggles. 15 minutes to place the order, and an hour to pick it up.

As to the vehicle itself, you may want to look at the optional 3.73 gearing if you plan to run a larger tire.
Hth,

Hth,

WininUtah

Adventurer
If you have time before you buy look into a Tread Lightly membership, it will get you a code for a new Jeep at 1% under dealer invoice. I used it for my JKUR and saved quite a bit. Most dealers will honor it, unfortunately not all, though. I'm lousy at car negotiations and was glad to have this deal, you might be good at negotiating and get a percent or two more.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
When looking for the new Jeep, I sent an email to three of my favorite Jeep dealer's internet sales person. The email had the exact vehicle order info, and explained that it was going to my three favorite dealers.
Bottom line it was price, as all three dealers had great service and sales. Got it for $2K under their invoice price. No haggles. 15 minutes to place the order, and an hour to pick it up.

As to the vehicle itself, you may want to look at the optional 3.73 gearing if you plan to run a larger tire.
Hth,

Hth,

I know several guys who did this and worked out really well, it actually saves the dealer time and money because it ties up less of their sales and finance people because the hard part is done before you walk in the door. It's even better the last couple months of the year because they need to move inventory to make room for the 2015 models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles