AEV Brute: The Ultimate Overlander?

aluke0510

Adventurer
Won't touch that one with a ten foot pole :)

I dig the idea of a regular cab JK Brute.

I agree that the "New" and "Available at a dealership" is a bit of a stretch, but I felt comfortable with the qualification. I know the level of engineering that AEV goes through to produce these low volume models. They are designed at the same standards (or better) than the OEM.

Yes, 90k is a ton of cash. I feel a purchase like this is only justifiable if you have all the cash you need for travel and THEN you buy an expensive dream machine like this one.

The VW diesels might be cool. I personally have no interest in engine swaps. It is the extremely rare scenario when they can be made as reliable as the factory option. I even decided against a well-proven diesel conversion for my G-Wagen and put in another gas motor. I am happy as a clam with the 3.6L in the Brute. The AEV Hemi conversion is one of the rare motor swaps that approach factory reliability, but the 3.6L suits me just fine. I got 18mpg on my last trip in the Brute!

Pretty much answers the question on the payload then. You are happy with the risk/chance of an occurrence from an insurance/DOT rules standpoint but won't make a statement just like Jeep.

I clearly understand the points where the truck is far more universal for loading and working out of as I have an 81 CJ8. I had a custom aluminium tonneau cover made for it. Strong enough to still load on top of it, easy and secure access to what is under it. Strong enough for two people to stand on or sleep on...

20140921_180108.jpg
20140921_180412.jpg

VW diesel is high on my thoughts list. I am quite sure in my case it is an improvement in reliability as that is those finicky years when we were starting to add on emissions stuff but had no idea what we were doing. Nice too that parts are available almost anywhere. (I just went through the emissions and registering it here in AZ and every time I added some part they wanted on or changed the vacuum routing the emissions went up and fuel economy went down until I finally passed and ripped it all back off.) Still barely push 16mpg now though.

So as I look at mine and see how it is fantastic for my use I can see where you are convincing me more that the Brute is a great option; it's just that payload rating. That and when you consider the price of the new luxury 200 series Land Cruisers it isn't quite as bad, or a new California mall crawler G Wagon fitted with 28"rims and sticky leather seats...

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
... I know the level of engineering that AEV goes through to produce these low volume models. They are designed at the same standards (or better) than the OEM.
Well, I humbly disagree with that....
They aren't subjected to the scrutiny of any sort of 3rd party testing and aren't assayed at all. I've already pointed out that their headlights are not compliant with FMVSS-108 and that alone renders them illegal to use on the streets at night. Who knows where else they've made errors or took a shortcut?

Scott Brady

Founder
They aren't subjected to the scrutiny of any sort of 3rd party testing and aren't assayed at all. I've already pointed out that their headlights are not compliant with FMVSS-108 and that alone renders them illegal to use on the streets at night. Who knows where else they've made errors or took a shortcut?

I am sure there are things that are not perfect.

However, their parts are all made in QS / ISO compliant facilities. Their body panels are made in one of the highest quality low volume press facilities in the world, an AEV bumper being made next to a Ford GT 40 fender. They are a global OEM supplier.

Again, I am not saying they are perfect, but in the world of Jeep aftermarket parts, they are at a whole diffent level. I appreciate the fact that design and attention to detail are so important to them. Some people prefer the "kustom" Jeep look. I prefer classic, quality and thoughtful.

I bet they would love to hear your thoughts on the lights.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I feel the next topic should be "do overlanders sleep?"

This is why the Brute might be the "ultimate" over lander, because overlanders don't really sleep so they don't need room for those pesky things like tents and sleeping bags.:coffeedrink:

AlaricD

Observer
I've already pointed out that their headlights are not compliant with FMVSS-108 and that alone renders them illegal.
Fixed that for you :)

Who knows where else they've made errors or took a shortcut?
Indeed. Did they pick those lamps because they genuinely tested them, or did they pick them because of the small but very vocal group of people who think they're awesome? How many other parts did this happen with?

I am sure there are things that are not perfect.

However, their parts are all made in QS / ISO compliant facilities. Their body panels are made in one of the highest quality low volume press facilities in the world, an AEV bumper being made next to a Ford GT 40 fender. They are a global OEM supplier.
But then they picked IPF for the headlamps. It's one thing to pick IPF for the auxiliary lamps, but they also picked them for their headlamps. They could have made their OWN, but they went with IPF.
IPF, who make "HID convertion (sic) kits", and the "Fatboy" bulb. The former being illegal, the second being a scam in general. The envelope heats too slowly, and never get hot enough to get the halogen cycle going effectively, meaning the filaments won't last as long. Then there's their "deep yellow" bulbs that they then assign a CCT to, which doesn't make sense-- CCT only applies to *white* light; they call these bulbs "deep yellow". There's also their charts on their site claiming a particular H4's wattage is "60/80W" and the brightness is "130/140W". Setting aside the esoteric knowledge that a bulb with two filaments is rated by the major filament/minor filament wattage, and that IPF reverse that, they're also using wattage to measure the output of a bulb. Power consumption of a bulb is measured in watts; output is in lumens.

This is all very basic stuff, really! Yet AEV has someone out there sourcing headlamps, and this is where they sourced them from. They need a new headlamp guy!

IPF also fraudulently stamps headlamps with ECE type approval markings-- so, they're big fat liars, too!

On a vehicle like that, I'd have put on JW Speaker LED headlamps. Not only are they orders of magnitude better than the IPF lamps, they're made in the U.S.A., so there's the bonus points for good ol' American labor right there.

I appreciate the fact that design and attention to detail are so important to them.
If so, perhaps they'll listen and discontinue using IPF lamps, at least not for the headlamps.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

I bet they would love to hear your thoughts on the lights.
I've sent them PMs on their forum that were never answered.

JWS has a new MOPAR variant in the works. That would be appropriate for a $126,000 truck.

And maybe some driving lights with a better light pattern too...

Jurfie

Adventurer
I dig the idea of a regular cab JK Brute.

I agree that the "New" and "Available at a dealership" is a bit of a stretch...

This is available new at a local dealership. It is a 2012 model that has been sitting since it hit the floor...originally almost $80k, now priced just shy of $60k (Canadian dollars). I love it, but I'm not sure I could justify (or quite honestly, afford) it. Especially since I'm still paying for my '14 JKR.

image.jpg

Custom raised tonneau cover, RTT over the bed...mmmm...

The VW diesels might be cool...

I got a quote from COTY since they are local to me. It ain't cheap, but I'd love to find a clean LJ and drop one in.

GFA

Adventurer
Scott,

So can you tell us what the impacts/risks are with operating the Brute double cab over the GVWR which they all will end up being? Sure I can understand with upgrades the vehicle can be made to handle it but what about that sticker that still says x GVWR? Sure the vehicle offers a lot. But think about what you could make another vehicle into if you also invested 90k or whatever into it.

This is the main reason in my mind why it is not the ultimate overland vehicle. In 2008 my utility contractor was at fault in an accident while towing a 31' Contender to a tournament. I forget by how much but he was overweight by both the GCVWR and his DMV tags and was denied coverage by his insurance company even though he was properly insured. Luckily there were no injuries but the damage to the boat alone was well over 100k.

Just out of curiosity why would the brute not be a contender for the ultimate label outside of the U.S.? Or would it be? Or was the question posed simply because you can't buy one outside the U.S.?

Scott Brady

Founder
People carry too much stuff. The payload of the Brute works just fine for me.

A friend and I drove half way around the world in a Suzuki Jimny with NOTHING on the roof and I could still see out of the back window. I want the performance and platform flexibility. I want the reserve capability. Hey, if monster payload is important to the person, pick a different vehicle. If cost is a limiting factor, pick a different vehicle. I view the Brute as the Ultimate Overlander for North America. If I could only own one vehicle, the Brute is it.

183694_499372273274_1371559_n.jpg

Driving along the border of Afghanistan. Two guys and all of the gear we needed in a less than 90" wheelbase Suzuki, including camping equipment, extra fuel, tools, spares, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior