AEV Brute: The Ultimate Overlander?

haven

Expedition Leader
Chrysler has a history of stealing? licensing? AEV's ideas, and putting them into a production vehicle. So maybe there's hope for a stretched JK pickup or a midsize version of the Ram Power Wagon in a couple of years.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Omar, check out the pickup section. you will see how "overlanding" in a pick-up works. As far as loading the bed, you can use straps, nets, caps, whatever. A good number of folks will build a cargo frame, and use an RTT, or if they have the money, purchase a flip-pack.

Is this the ULTIMATE? Perhaps for you, but not for me.

sseaman

Adventurer
I love it and when I hit the lottery(guess I need to play first) this would be the first thing I would buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GFA

Adventurer
I ran across one for the first time back in August atop of imogene pass. I think it was owned by AEV and was there for a photo shoot but didn't ask.
5e9da0de1d504670b66ed3bb45f63104.jpg

I fell in love with it until that night when I looked it up in the hotel room...

Some people have more money than common sense it seems. A conversion that starts at 30 grand and doesn't even give you a real tailgate handle that is lockable? The lowest towing and cargo capacity of any similar size and equipped truck? And at 70k+ you still have a V6 pushing a pig that's more than 1000lbs heavier than either a Toyota or Nissan? But for only only another 22-36k you can have your choice of some of Americas most fuel inefficient V8's...

Until Chrysler mass produces it for a price comparable to either Toyota or Nissan it's my opinion that it's nothing more than the ultimate show off vehicle that we're sure to see Justin Bieber cruising the streets of Hollywood in before too long.

Scott Brady

Founder
I fell in love with it until that night when I looked it up in the hotel room...

it's my opinion that it's nothing more than the ultimate show off vehicle that we're sure to see Justin Bieber cruising the streets of Hollywood in before too long.

So, you fell in love, then found out it was expensive and now it is just a show off vehicle that Bieber would drive.

Unfortunately, some cool things are expensive. No reason to shame those who can afford it... just because you can't

proven

Observer
I'd drive it in a heart beat. You have to show at least a little respect to those who can afford one and use them for what they are made for. :drool:

KiwiKurt

Explorer
It comes down to the utility and capability for me. I am finding the Brute to be incredibly versatile, yet significantly more capable than any pickup on the market. I don't pack heavy, so the payload is not an issue. It is the storage volume and flexibility that makes it so useful. I can mount a roof tent at bed height and still have enough room below for storage boxes. I can haul a light dirt bike on all of the trails now (if desired). I can even mount a Fourwheel Camper shell model and still have enough payload remainder.

Regarding a published payload number, AEV is understandably quiet on that subject. The Wrangler is rated to 1050, and that payload remains (officially) with the Brute. I would feel absolutely comfortable matching the payload of the Tacoma, around 1,400 pounds. The reason for this is the EarthRoamer XVJP. It is built on the same platform, and easily pushes that 1,400 lb. mark. EarthRoamer worked closely with Chrysler to comfortably hit those numbers. I owned an XVJP, and it never had an issue with the weight. The only factory limitation to the 1,050 is the rear springs. They are soft for ride comfort and articulation. The rear Dana 44 would support the 1,400 pound number, and does in other applications like the Titan.

Ding ding. We recently had the same discussion regarding the xterra/4runner.

The stock springs on the X are really soft, which kills the payload.

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
My understanding is that a vehicle doesn't have a set, registered payload, it has a set gross weight. And that GVWR is almost impossible to change, no matter what you've done to increase real-world capacity.
So if a stock JKU has 1000# payload and a curb weight between 4100 and 4300# (link), that puts GVW between 5100 and 5300.
With the Brute's curb weight at 5400#, it looks to me like you're illegal right out of the gate. Before you even get it in, much less load it for camping.
Am I wrong?

GFA

Adventurer
So, you fell in love, then found out it was expensive and now it is just a show off vehicle that Bieber would drive.

Unfortunately, some cool things are expensive. No reason to shame those who can afford it... just because you can't

My unwillingness to overpay for an item that I feel could have been better designed does not speak for my financial ability, but feel free to shame me for it regardless...

I still think its cool as hell, just not an extra 60k dollars cool. And seriously, did a real tailgate handle throw off their profit margins enough that they had to skimp with two hatch latches? I use a pickup truck daily and can't think of how often I open my tailgate with one hand and don't have to set down whats in the other in order to do so. That alone eliminates it from even the ultimate grocery getter contention if you ask me. How are you locking your cargo boxes in the bed under your RTT? Its a serious overlook from a company that is so renowned for their well thought out designs IMO.

And after 100 large I still can't haul or legally tow the same amount that a Toyota can for 1/4 of the price? No thanks, but I will own one when Jeep produces it themselves with a price and capabilities comparable to the Toyota.

I wish Ford still produced the Excursion as it could be the ultimate expedition vehicle IMO. It had nearly the same wheelbase as the Brute DC but had an optional diesel giving it a 400+ mile range, 3/4 ton drivetrain, and the capacity to tow two Brutes behind it if need be while getting better mileage than one V8 Brute by itself. Fold the seats in the rear and leave the tent at home...

SB

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I think the Brute should have the same kind of tailgate that the Honda Ridgeline has. Then it would be worth $90k. LOL, okay maybe not, but I still want one. If I had $140k of disposable income, I'd buy a Brute and a commuter car and an SUV for the wife and be a happy camper.

aluke0510

Adventurer
My understanding is that a vehicle doesn't have a set, registered payload, it has a set gross weight. And that GVWR is almost impossible to change, no matter what you've done to increase real-world capacity.
So if a stock JKU has 1000# payload and a curb weight between 4100 and 4300# (link), that puts GVW between 5100 and 5300.
With the Brute's curb weight at 5400#, it looks to me like you're illegal right out of the gate. Before you even get it in, much less load it for camping.
Am I wrong?

Ya know, I wish somebody would provide some solid insight to this subject. The way you describe it above is how I thought about it for a while. However, when you start getting into custom vehicles you wonder where you cross the line into it being a kit car/home design; those come with no stated GVWR and I honestly don't know how they are assessed. I fully understand that modifications can improve the load handling but where does the law stand and does the law actually strictly follow what the manufacture says; does a law even apply or is the law just related to what class it is registered under. Then on the other hand what are the impacts even if the law doesn't apply; lawyers would easily find a case to sue based on that and it would be a terrible pain to prove the capability over the manufacture stated based on the modifications you install.

It comes down to the utility and capability for me. I am finding the Brute to be incredibly versatile, yet significantly more capable than any pickup on the market. I don't pack heavy, so the payload is not an issue. It is the storage volume and flexibility that makes it so useful. I can mount a roof tent at bed height and still have enough room below for storage boxes. I can haul a light dirt bike on all of the trails now (if desired). I can even mount a Fourwheel Camper shell model and still have enough payload remainder.

Regarding a published payload number, AEV is understandably quiet on that subject. The Wrangler is rated to 1050, and that payload remains (officially) with the Brute. I would feel absolutely comfortable matching the payload of the Tacoma, around 1,400 pounds. The reason for this is the EarthRoamer XVJP. It is built on the same platform, and easily pushes that 1,400 lb. mark. EarthRoamer worked closely with Chrysler to comfortably hit those numbers. I owned an XVJP, and it never had an issue with the weight. The only factory limitation to the 1,050 is the rear springs. They are soft for ride comfort and articulation. The rear Dana 44 would support the 1,400 pound number, and does in other applications like the Titan.

I completely understand what you are saying. Often a very similar vehicle gets a higher GVWR outside the US so what drives it so low here? IT is similarly a disadvantage for most compact vehicles where larger tires, suspension upgrades, bumpers, winches, rooftop tents etc. etc. all eat into the GVWR before you even fill it with fuel and add people. I really want to understand what drives numbers so low here. I assume it is a combination of Americans demanding a smooth ride, manufactures keeping things conservative to avoid lawsuits, and some government influence to pass crash and safety regulations. But it results in so many vehicles being over weight by the ratings. Put 4 full grown men in a Prius and the GVWR is exceeded before you even add a bag of groceries...

But that is 1400lbs unloaded. Push that up now with passengers, gear, fuel and water and you well exceed the 1400lbs. Now add in larger tires and off road situations most would argue you are really pushing the limits on that axle. I also think a definition of light is in order. 100lbs roof top tent plus the supporting rack are far heavier than what I consider the light option as a 6lbs backpacking tent... Ultra light is sleeping under the stars, bivy sack if need be. That applies to about every other piece of gear as well.

I really don't think the weight and payload issue can be overlooked as a disadvantage. Overlooking it as such is negligence. Does that mean it kills it; no. It all depends on how you interpret the rules and if there is a legal implication or if no implication what risk you are willing to assume from a private party lawsuit and the risk of that ever occurring. But with other vehicles (full-size trucks that still aren't too dissimilar to the overall length of the brute double cab) none of that comes into question for hauling the same stuff and achieving the bed space...

Edit:
BTW I am still flabbergasted by how the Ford Ranger made today for external markets (which I must say I love and personally consider higher than the Hilux) gets a higher payload rating than an F150 here in the US???

Last edited:

m3at333hp

Adventurer
I personally do not think it is the "Ultimate Overlander", even if I had the money (rest assured, I do not). While it can probably tackle more technical terrain than some larger SUV's, I can tell you this: for longer drives, the Wrangler interior is piss poor compared to say, a Land Cruiser. Maybe it is me, but simple things such as leather wrapped arm rests make a huge difference on a long trip. Too much hard plastic all over the place. I do not have the funds to test drive a Brute, but I'd imagine the interior, such as door panels, are the same as the base Wrangler.

Also, I would rather have an enclosed bed, i.e. a SUV or some shell options for bad weather.

I know "Ultimate" does not take into account value, so I will shy away from that determining factor. Furthermore, for overland type of adventures, you would want more of an international platform. I have not traveled to most countries, so others can chime in, but how popular are Jeeps internationally if you need parts, quickly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94