Have to ask...but not sure which category...Potty breaks?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Right. All of that.
And, when I'm camping with a group of friends that have daughters aged 5-12, the last thing in the world I want is for mine to be the first one they see in the wild...
Potty tents are a civilized reality. And the bucket is so much more comfortable than squatting anyhow.

robgendreau

Explorer
Yeah shovel & TP ... Except when that's not legal, polite or responsible, as others have noted.

A 20 mm rocket box makes a nifty container, and some makes seats for them. Check rafting gear companies like NRS for Eco Safe. Probably overkill for users here, but great in tough situations.

kingquad700

Right. All of that.
And, when I'm camping with a group of friends that have daughters aged 5-12, the last thing in the world I want is for mine to be the first one they see in the wild...
Potty tents are a civilized reality. And the bucket is so much more comfortable than squatting anyhow.

I have to agree with this statement. I am a single dad and when I take my daughter camping I use a lug a loo. We started (without her mom) when she was 4 and I couldn't teach a little girl how to pee without getting it all over her pants. So I got the lug a loo and it's been a good addition to the gear. I usually set up a separate shelter for it. I would use the tent, but I don't want her to see me using it. She is now 7 and it has lasted for 3 years.

grogie

Like to Camp
What about the poo-bag?
Theirs looks like a zip-in affair or something rather than the Double-Doodie bag-within-a-bag-with-dual-ziplock-closure system.
I like the generic appeal of a bucket but the Turbo is really space efficient and almost elegant...

It is almost elegant (lol) and IT IS a space saver. It comes with bags (no they're not self sealing) and the typical powder. Probably other bags will work too, but I bought a bunch of these as one place had them on sale.

kstd.jpg

philos

Explorer
Luggable loo and a 5-gal bucket (google honey bucket) with 8-gallon bags. That's for urban setups, or for when a shovel/TP aren't easy/legal. I really prefer the shovel, but there are times when I'm REALLY happy to have my bucket and bags.

Scottydog13

Observer
So for the 5-gal bucket. Is it necessary to buy specific bags or can I use a kitchen trash bag or even the million grocery shopping bags I have?

coop74

Old Camping Dude
we have close to the same set up but we went with the fashionable home depot orange bucket... It is possible to buy a 7 gallon version that makes it a bit taller too btw. double bags and cheap kitty litter and you are in business (no pun intended).

Scottydog13

Observer
Went with the luggable loo lid...already have 5-gal bucket. I'll try out a few bags before next trip (Overland Expo East)

aluke0510

Adventurer
A lot of places it's the law to pack it out.

That is because those places get so much human traffic they have to. I avoid those places. Don't like people. That and I'd love to see the officer that walks up on you as you are crapping and puts handcuffs on you; tell him he has to wipe for you...

Is this post for real?

Seriously 90% of Africa goes in the bush. Best advice is to burn your toilet paper before burying it all. If your significant others or kids require you to carry a bucket to go in, make them handle it and dispose of it then; quickly change their mind.

Last edited:

FromRaleigh

Adventurer
how do you guys manage the bags from the luggable loo or PETT? throw each bag into some kind of hard side container to pack out? maybe a piece of 6" PVC with threaded caps on each end to drop the bags into?

my wife likes the idea of a cartridge type toilet but that seems like a hassle to empty unless you are staying at an RV lot with a dump station, IMO something with individual bags is a lot neater and less gross.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
how do you guys manage the bags from the luggable loo or PETT? throw each bag into some kind of hard side container to pack out? maybe a piece of 6" PVC with threaded caps on each end to drop the bags into?

my wife likes the idea of a cartridge type toilet but that seems like a hassle to empty unless you are staying at an RV lot with a dump station, IMO something with individual bags is a lot neater and less gross.

Depending on where we are camping and what other more permanent facilities are available it is only changed out every 3-4 days. Because we use kitty litter it becomes kind of a big solid bag of trash and we dispose of it in a dumpster upon moving campsites. Worst case it rides outside of the trailer till we find a dumpster.

If you want woman to go camping, I think you will find most of them prefer the little bathroom tent and something more like home as opposed to squatting over a hole in the woods or tundra... or at least the woman I know anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles