Scrubber Blade

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've got over 12K miles on the new '14 JKU and the windshield wiper blades are wanting to be replaced. Summer bug season is in full swing, mud is omnipresent, and I can't see anymore.
We just got back from a long roadtrip. That means lots of bug carcasses stuck on the windshield. Hit the washer, run the stock blades, and it results in a smear campaign, not a clean windshield.
So you pray for rain. Or pull over and clean the windshield.

So these are on the way.

Scrubber Blade - World's Most Technologically Advanced Revolutionary Frameless Dual Action Scrubber Wiper Blades - The Wiper Blades with a Brush! - Satisfaction Guaranteed

I have high hopes. What's the use of having killer headlights if you can't see through the dang windshield?

Stay tuned for review. Have to think of what meter to use....

ripperj

Explorer
The nylon brushes won't scratch, but what about all the dirt that gets under them?
interested in your review

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The nylon brushes won't scratch, but what about all the dirt that gets under them?
interested in your review
I'm thinking along the lines of diligent use ---- giving them a shake when I fill up with gas, knocking the crud out here and there.

What gets me aggravated is the dead bug guts that just won't come off the windshield when I'm trying to make some miles. There's always a big splotch right in your field of vision that gets smeared. Then stray glare plays with it, messes with your eyes. Add to that the shadows, curves in the road, bicyclists, etc.

You can't be a safe driver with a dirty windshield. And ordinary wipers don't get the job done well enough for an overlander.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Georgia bugs feast on Gorilla Glue and can't be removed by man. The bugs and that red Georgia clay are permanent reminders that you got the real Southern hospitality.

java

Expedition Leader
Interested to see a longer term report. They aren't really much more than a standard blade when you factor in that they come with squeegee refills.

155mm

Adventurer
I like to use a that turtle wax ice spray wax to clean my windshield. It leaves a coating that helps the bug guts wash off easily. I've also used a very light mist of their spray detailer with good success, even it says not to use on windows.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I like to use a that turtle wax ice spray wax to clean my windshield. It leaves a coating that helps the bug guts wash off easily. I've also used a very light mist of their spray detailer with good success, even it says not to use on windows.
I've tried a number of products on the windshields that promise to stay slick --- and they do for a bit.
But the atomic bug-juice, mud, rain, etc. wears it away fast. Especially on an extended trip.
This last boondoggle we were on was the worst in terms of bugs. From GA up the Blue Ridge Parkway, through the hills of VA, through PA, upstate NY. And then back. All along rivers and lakes, in spring. BUGS! On a flat-windshielded Jeep.

So these things will either work or not. The manufacturer seems pretty confident in them. I've seen worse ideas....
Figured it was worth the no-risk try.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
This last boondoggle we were on was the worst in terms of bugs. From GA up the Blue Ridge Parkway, through the hills of VA, through PA, upstate NY. And then back. All along rivers and lakes, in spring. BUGS! On a flat-windshielded Jeep.

Global warming...: )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Erik N

Adventurer
I've tried a number of products on the windshields that promise to stay slick --- and they do for a bit.
But the atomic bug-juice, mud, rain, etc. wears it away fast. Especially on an extended trip.

So these things will either work or not. The manufacturer seems pretty confident in them. I've seen worse ideas....
Figured it was worth the no-risk try.

I use the green-colored Rain-X washer fluid, works pretty well. $3/gal at walmart.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
That is what I used on my last trip ... Except for a couple of green gut bugs, it all came off. Sometimes lots ofwash fluid had to be used but it came off.

keezer37

Explorer
I take the old scrubbie sponge from the kitchen when I travel. Keep it in a zip-lock bag and go over the windshield as needed when I gas up. It's not perfect but more than adequate.
I've been using PIAA blades for awhile now. The rubber holds up well. That's where cheap blades come from, poor quality rubber. Good rubber is expensive. See how long they last before the rubber cracks and frays at the ends.
In the snow states good blades are a must because everyone inevitably will sit in their truck staring at the icy windshield not wanting to get out and scrape, wondering if it's been long enough to try the wipers. Nope, not ready yet, as the rubber goes scratching over the forty grit ice.

TACTICALJEEP

Observer
I would be concerned about the drag on the windshield wiper motor. I've seen plenty of cars come into my repair shop with wipers in-op. As soon as I see the vehicle, I see those double/triple blades that people get from autozone etc. the factory wiper motor wasn't designed to handle that stress, and the extra drag burns up the motor/transmission prematurely....just something else to consider.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I would be concerned about the drag on the windshield wiper motor. I've seen plenty of cars come into my repair shop with wipers in-op. As soon as I see the vehicle, I see those double/triple blades that people get from autozone etc. the factory wiper motor wasn't designed to handle that stress, and the extra drag burns up the motor/transmission prematurely....just something else to consider.
hmmmmmm.
....measure coefficient of drag...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles