Autocad design of 100-series cargo area?

jdlobb

Adventurer
I know this may be an odd question, but does anybody have an autocad or other rendering of the interior of the cargo area of the 100 series?

If not I'm going to be setting out to take as many measurements as necessary to start working on something like this in order to facilitate building a custom storage system for the rear. I'm mainly concerned with trying to make a top panel that will conform to the sides of the truck at the same height as the rear seats when laid down. The current iteration of the box the previous owner (my uncle) built is simply a rectangular box that fits the largest floor space. I'm a bit anal about fit-n-finish, and it doesn't look nearly factory enough for my liking, so over the next few weeks I'll be designing it and then building it next time I visit my parent's house so I can get some help with the construction and installation.

anyways, if nobody has one, would anybody be interested in mine if I share it once I'm done?

hoser

Explorer
Your '98 doesn't have rear AC, correct? The cargo area on the passenger side is a different shape than those with rear AC, which is pretty much '99-'07.

jdlobb

Adventurer
Your '98 doesn't have rear AC, correct? The cargo area on the passenger side is a different shape than those with rear AC, which is pretty much '99-'07.

right, no rear AC. I did not know that the rear AC changed the shape of the cargo area.

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
Just an fyi- in my experience no 2 trucks are exactly the same. Someone else's measurements will be close, but not exact for your rig. Make sure to allow for this with your reveals and gaps in your build.

bossman429

Adventurer
If your looking to design and build a rear storage system. I highly recommend you forgo any drawings and just build in as you go in the car. Sounds silly I know but there are so many little things you need to keep in mind (like existing storage bins, mounting points, cigarette lighters and such that you want to have access to, that it would suck to build the whole thing based on a drawing, go to install and then realize it doesn't work. Or the fact that the tailgate isn't perfectly level with the floor, and you need to leave about an inch gap for a drawer to slide out and clear it.

I built mine as I went, and couldn't be happier with the result.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
If your looking to design and build a rear storage system. I highly recommend you forgo any drawings and just build in as you go in the car.

Before Paul Jensen built out the rear of my LX470, I did fairly elaborate scale drawings showing the measurements. But when it came time to actually build it, Paul took out the rear carpet and used it as a template when he needed to match up with the factory plastic. Then he ad-libbed the rest of it.

Details here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77938

bossman429

Adventurer
I should edit my statement. Sketches are great to get ideas and general rough dimensions, but don't rely on them to actually BUILD the system. .25" off can be the difference between everything fitting perfectly, and your drawer only extending halfway, or the whole system not fitting at all.

TrekboxX

Supporting Sponsor - TrekboxX
This is all good advice. Trust me, it's taken a year to get our dimensions sorted out to where it can be built to fit any one specimen of the same model. When I built my first system, I did a full CAD model, but only used it as a guide. Too many variables. If doing a one-off, build as you go using your drawings to keep your focus.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Most fitted drawer systems are just square,/ rectangular and the side lift panels are cut to suit once the main drawer system is installed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles