Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

JDaPP

Adventurer
This has been a really awesome thread.

So as you guys get more time and mileage on with the J30s, have you thought about mods, or upgrades you'd like to see?
And what have you already done to make it fit your useage?

Thanks for the input, and for posting the awesome and inspiring pictures! :drool:

John has already changed most of the things I would change: higher opening, stainless bolts, etc.

Things I would like changed/added: A external latch in addition to the internal latches on the back. I would just like the added security.
I would prefer the front of the top be latched down to the jeep the same way a normal Jeep top is. Currently John use bolts through the roll bar, which led to leaking here in Florida (would drip down the bolt right into the jeep). I have sealed it up, but I still like the idea of using the footman's loop instead. Only other item that would be a nice to have is Colorado Camper van makes something called a wee bunk that can be used for gear or kids. If that could be incorporated in that would be awesome

Only Mod I have made is to put Velcro on the panels to keep them from bouncing around and I painted the entire top black. Top gets hot to the touch but I have no complaints about temperature inside from it.

Only thing I would have done different would have been to get a second rotopax carrier on the passenger side instead of the window. Wife would have probably went with the J180 for the room. With the J30 it gets a little tight with 2 adults kid and dog all in there at night.

grogie

Like to Camp
Simply awesome! You guys are doing just what I like to do... camp out among the wolves and big foot!

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
So if was getting ready to by a JKU Rubicon...do I need the factory hardtop if I was going to purchase a URSA top in the future

Presto88

Adventurer
So if was getting ready to by a JKU Rubicon...do I need the factory hardtop if I was going to purchase a URSA top in the future

I'm planning on ordering mine with just a soft top. The factory hard tops are quite nice, with those "freedom panels" that you can remove, but I just don't see me using it. It'll be either the J-30 or something that can (relatively) easily be lowered.

skates04

Adventurer
Used J30 (1st gen) possibly for sale in Colorado. Standard black with white shell. Roof rack bars and rigid led lighting great condition. 4500. Hate to lose it but probably selling the jeep.

pm me if interested.

****SOLD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SLOfizz

Observer
You don't need any top. Whatever top you get you will need to ell or store, so get a softy if you can. Here in Cali, rubicons are not ordered with soft tops, so I got the hard and sold it for $1500 bucks.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I'm planning on ordering mine with just a soft top. The factory hard tops are quite nice, with those "freedom panels" that you can remove, but I just don't see me using it. It'll be either the J-30 or something that can (relatively) easily be lowered.

Only reason I would say get the hard top too is if you want a rear windshield wiper/washer. Soft top package does not come with wiring or computer program. I bought a wiper afterwards and I still haven't made it work because I refuse to pay the $200+ for the wiring and programming. J30 does not come with wiper (at least when I bought mine)

KellyM

Adventurer
I think top selection can be impacted by whether you intend to run the original suspension. A hard top and tow package when I bought my 2013 JKUR meant the heaviest duty springs that Jeep uses. If you are only running the J30 top and not heavy bumpers you would be fine with that suspension. My understanding is that when ordering a soft top, Jeep uses lighter springs, even on the Rubicons. YMMV. I sold my top within a couple of days for $1500, and only paid an additional $895 for it when I ordered the Jeep. I ran the original suspension and air lift bags for a awhile, but ultimately put on an AEV 3.5 suspension since I have heavy bumpers, fridge stove drawer etc.. Love the J30

Here is a recent pic waiting for the road to reopen near Stanley, Idaho

photo (17).jpg

bigfish

Observer
That is exactly the picture I've been lurking about for. It appears that the 3.5 aev looks a bit squatty when the rear is full of gear. How is the ride? Are the coils fairly compressed? I think 4.5" springs would look better but I'm nervous they aren't really tuned for the weight. I know they are progressive, but they spec them for mild loads.

BigTom73

Jeep from the factory has a rake with the back sitting about an inch higher. It's there to compensate for loads. Most jeep owners don't want the rake so most aftermarket springs are adjusted for that desire. That leaves them sitting a little low when loaded.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KellyM

Adventurer
That is exactly the picture I've been lurking about for. It appears that the 3.5 aev looks a bit squatty when the rear is full of gear. How is the ride? Are the coils fairly compressed? I think 4.5" springs would look better but I'm nervous they aren't really tuned for the weight. I know they are progressive, but they spec them for mild loads.

Hey Bigfish - The ride is great with the 3.5. While the front is higher, it is not as much as this picture makes it look. Here is another picture at the same spot with my TJ in the picture as well. The TJ rear sits higher in the back than the front, but it does not look like it in this picture. We were stopped on a hill.

photo (18).jpg

I know many folks like the front higher, but I would prefer level or a slightly lower front end. I think I would have ended up with it level if I didn't go with synthetic line on the winch. There is plenty of travel left in the rear springs and they perform well on and off-road. The JKUR is as loaded as it will ever get in this picture as my daughter is on a three month trip in it. And while it definitely shows the weight, it still drives well. I would check with Dave H and the gang at AEV on using the 4.5 in the rear. I would consider that as well if they thought it would be compatible. I went with heavier OME springs for the rear of TJ to help with gear capacity, and I am very happy with the result.

Hey Guys

Nearly 7 weeks wait, but was finally able to pick up my J30 from Rotterdam port. So there is another one here in Europe.

End of August we will put it to the test on a 5 week trip to Georgia on the black Sea. Through Bulgaria, Turkish Black Sea Coast and back. about 12000Km/8000Miles.

To be followed on my site "Terratrotter.eu"

Attachments

• IMG_6340.jpg
    IMG_6340.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_6341.jpg
    IMG_6341.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6342.jpg
    IMG_6342.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6343.jpg
    IMG_6343.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6344.jpg
    IMG_6344.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6345.jpg
    IMG_6345.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6346.jpg
    IMG_6346.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 87
Oh and I have the 4.5" AEV Suspension with 35"s Cooper STT. Will see how the Suspension will cope, there will be a Jerrycan attached to each side outside there where the back side windows used to be. There will be a Kitchen Module with drawers in the back and… well the rest of the gear for 5 weeks. Yes Spare wheel is ordered and will be on the back door with a Teraflex HD Hinged Carrier.

Cheers

More pictures will follow..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94