40+ Imported Defenders seized by Homeland Security Today (developing story)

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
As I questioned in the Defender Source thread, I wonder what would come of a legitimate challenge to the constitutionality of the import law. It was put in place following extreme pressure from European car manufacturers in the late 80's due to a growing number of late model gray market imports (not due to any pressing public safety concerns).

I really don't think you can challenge the ability of the US government to regulate commerce with foreign countries - it's actually IN the Constitution.

Don't like the current law? Work to get it changed!

btw, I'm in no way saying that it is a particularly good or useful law in this case - but there is a difference between a bad law and an unconstitutional law.

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
As I questioned in the Defender Source thread, I wonder what would come of a legitimate challenge to the constitutionality of the import law. It was put in place following extreme pressure from European car manufacturers in the late 80's due to a growing number of late model gray market imports (not due to any pressing public safety concerns).

Stop being a terrorist, and Anti-GM Fascist! All they have to do now, is tweak a few words, and mention global warming, emissions, efficiency, merkn cars, and Bush to legitimize this despotic garbage. I would love to see those little Japanese cars and vans over here, would be perfect for most people in small businesses'!

Viggen

Just here...
I really don't think you can challenge the ability of the US government to regulate commerce with foreign countries - it's actually IN the Constitution.

Stop making sense with facts. We do not need facts. We need Molon Labe and Gadsden Flags here. Cannot create anti government fervor with facts...

pugslyyy

Stop making sense with facts. We do not need facts. We need Molon Labe and Gadsden Flags here. Cannot create anti government fervor with facts...

Yes, but we have defendersource for that. Or, god help us, discoweb. :)

superbuickguy

Explorer
Your Government has decided Defenders are far too dangerous for Americans. Therefore you are not allowed to own them.

USA.....Land of the free. Home of the brave?

You can however buy a totally safe scooter or Harley Davidson or build a 1000hp T'bucket roadster with 90 year old brakes. Go figure. Or better yet, go vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

now now, how can you possibly think that those feeding at the government trough wouldn't outvote you at a 3 to 1 margin?

Dolomiti

Adventurer
The problem is that many legitimate 110s got grabbed because they are associated with a suspect importer. There's at least a case to be made to import them yourself and not buy one which has already been imported.

If it's 25 years or older, you can import anything you want.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

mongosd2

Adventurer
If it's 25 years or older, you can import anything you want.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

Not true…you need to do due diligence to make sure the vehicle conforms to the rules…a 25 year old 90 with a td5 is NOT LEGAL, a 25 year old 110 on a galvanized frame is NOT LEGAL…The truck needs to be 100% original

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Not true…you need to do due diligence to make sure the vehicle conforms to the rules…a 25 year old 90 with a td5 is NOT LEGAL, a 25 year old 110 on a galvanized frame is NOT LEGAL…The truck needs to be 100% original

So it needs to be 100% stock to qualify?

mongosd2

Adventurer

yep...

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
My understanding is that you cannot have imported a truck with a swapped frame, but as long as you have rec'ts and documentation, you can swap the frame once legally registered here.

Is this not the case?

D

pugslyyy

I think you have to differentiate between repairs (which are acceptable) and restorations/modernizations. We know that frame swaps and engine swaps raise eyebrows - and probably visible stuff like the new style center dash. If it is an upgrade that makes it appear newer (new trim, engine that was not available until later years, etc) then that is what is most likely to lead to trouble.

I don't think you are going to lose a vehicle because it had lockers installed, or upgrades made that are appropriate for that model and year.

jhill15

Explorer
My heart goes out to these people who have spent their hard earned money and life savings on a truck in which they thought to be legal here in the states...and should be legal considering the rest of the world deems it to be, shame on you illegal defender seller for illegal deffenders to people!!!!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I think you have to differentiate between repairs (which are acceptable) and restorations/modernizations. We know that frame swaps and engine swaps raise eyebrows - and probably visible stuff like the new style center dash. If it is an upgrade that makes it appear newer (new trim, engine that was not available until later years, etc) then that is what is most likely to lead to trouble.

I don't think you are going to lose a vehicle because it had lockers installed, or upgrades made that are appropriate for that model and year.

Oh ok. How did arrrrrnold import the new Unimog? I know it was a new body on an older chassis.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
DHS knocked on my door @ 9am looking for our '84 110. Luckily, I hauled it out of state, just last weekend to be used elsewhere, on a now undisclosed location. They asked us for the address of the location we took it to. We told them we didn't know the address. Which we didn't. It was a piece of property that the family recently purchased. Odd that they didn't even ask to look in our garage. They left us their business cards and asked us to call when we had the address. The oil stains, from it marking it's territory were fresh.

After they left, empty handed, I spoke with my Wife's Aunt who is an attorney. She looked into the situation and she found that DHS was also seizing imported G Wagens. One of the lawyers, who owns a G, where she works was affected. She also advised us to not answer any further questions from DHS, but to have those questions directed toward our legal counsel, aka Her. So, for now it's hunkered down under lock and key and we will see where this goes from here. There were no further attempts to contact us from DHS, so far today. I think they know their opportunity to collect the "easy" ones is done and gone. Maybe they will be deterred to pursue any other 110's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior