Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Great photos, looks like very fun outings. Really like the look of this setup. I had a '71 Westphalia, loved the design but not the lack of power (altho it made it thru some pretty rough Baja trips).

After reading your post I called the Ursa Minor factory last week, to see if they would consider designing a model for a Callen camper or other hard shell on a truck, as a new pop-up camper option. (Callen shells used to be made in San Diego also.) I was told they are working on some other clever ideas, but nothing in the camper shell pop-up area...for now.

But I may go tour their facility, just to get some ideas..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 73

KellyM

Adventurer
Where did you get the ladder? Do you have a pic of it collapsed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 and let us know how you attached it. I was thinking of using some sort of c-clip style mounting points to allow quick setup. Thanks.

Charlie56

Adventurer
+1 and let us know how you attached it. I was thinking of using some sort of c-clip style mounting points to allow quick setup. Thanks.

It is an Xtend-Climb brand ladder that I ordered from Amazon. Model 760P
ladder.jpg

For now, its just leaning up against the top (not secured). It has large feet and is pretty stable although I do need to find a way to clip it off to the top.

Amy H

Observer
Anyone have pictures of the top painted to match with slider windows? Just wondering the pro's and con's between leaving the sides black or have it painted to match. Maybe what is easier to clean or most scratch resistant.

And I just saw this top online for sale, but too far away for me. Don't know if the person selling is on here or not.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/4500288862.html

bigfish

Observer
Gen 2

So I finally got my Gen2 J30 (#55) after selling my Gen1 (#24) back in February. The Gen 2 is built much better and many of the problem areas were addressed with the new design. Most importantly was the extra room inside. I'm 6'7" and can now sit up or stand in the hatch area without problems. I like the new fiberglass molds much better. It closes better on the latch pins since they are not angled anymore. Less noise from the hatch panels. No leaks from the high pressure car wash. Other details are nice too. I also added solar panels to mine. 2 Instapark 100W panels fit nicely between rack mounts. I also have the Nemo awning and it works well.

14345818123_efe760a40a_z.jpg

14139103027_67c169cf7e_z.jpg

14139008270_7babd04276_z.jpg

One last thing is that I have the bright white color bottom section and the gel coat top. The difference is more noticeable than I expected, so if you are planning on this option just pain the whole thing.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
So I finally got my Gen2 J30 (#55) after selling my Gen1 (#24) back in February. The Gen 2 is built much better and many of the problem areas were addressed with the new design. Most importantly was the extra room inside. I'm 6'7" and can now sit up or stand in the hatch area without problems. I like the new fiberglass molds much better. It closes better on the latch pins since they are not angled anymore. Less noise from the hatch panels. No leaks from the high pressure car wash. Other details are nice too. I also added solar panels to mine. 2 Instapark 100W panels fit nicely between rack mounts. I also have the Nemo awning and it works well.

One last thing is that I have the bright white color bottom section and the gel coat top. The difference is more noticeable than I expected, so if you are planning on this option just pain the whole thing.

Wow, That's awesome. Thanks for the info and pics.

A couple of questions:

1. Those panels must be heavy - is it any different raising and lowering the roof now? Also out of curiosity, where's the junction box for those panels, and where did you run and cables? I like how they can't be seen.
2. Can you please post a closeup of the paint and finish - I've not heard of the "gel coat top" before and I'm curious what it looks like.
3. Can you please post a picture of how the Nemo awning integrates with the J30. Does it connect in any way, or would rain just fall between the two?

Thanks!
-Dan

KellyM

Adventurer

I couldn't agree more. The extra height is exactly what it needed. Very interested in your solar install and how long it takes to set up the awning.

bigfish

Observer
1) The panels are +/- 40lbs and the standard lift shocks are able to keep the top open without assistance, but are at the limit. Ursa has promised me some HD struts to try out. They installed the panel on the top, so I cant speak in detail on the install process. The cables run down the little black box in the center and down into the cab via the same path as the overhead lights. I installed a 30A wiz bang controller under the driver seat with a digital readout and dressed all the cabling to aerospace standards. One day I'll get around to doing a write-up about it, but I had a lot of fun figuring everything out for myself and learning though the process. I installed everything short of the panels themselves and I'm no genius, but heavily OCD on doing things right the first time.

2)Ursa's standard finish is black texture on bottom and a boat like gel coat finish on top. I opted for the color matched bottom section, but decided the gel coat was better for the top because it is easier to fix, cheaper, and I couldn't see the difference on my old J30. I now feel this decision was a mistake. You can see in the solar panel photo the top is warmer and brighter than the bottom section. I can notice it and it bothers me enough to regret the decision, but I will live with it... This was not Ursa's fault, they did say it would be slightly different and the decision was all mine.

3) The Nemo thing is unfinished business. It's a long story and an uphill battle. Ursa does nothing to the J30 to accommodate the awning, despite asking John to incorporate the zipper connection into my tent material, it ultimately didn't materialize. I called around and found the specification for the zipper. " YKK #10 Vislon (Plastic) zipper, 44" in length." For this last trip I used some cord to tie the loops to the rear window hinges. This worked well and survived some big gusts at 11,000ft. Setup time was about 10min with one person in light wind. I still intended to source the zipper and incorporate it, but time is rarest resource at the moment...

rubicon91

Explorer
One day One day!! I always love when this thread gets updated and then once I read it I always hate that I am not at the point to pull the trigger on one of these at this time. Maybe a year or so. Until then I will live vicariously through these posts. I love them all. Especially living in the bottom of FL where elevation does not exist. But hey I have the beach, humidity and mosquito season :) But in all seriousness I found out my company will be in San Diego in a few months for a convention and I am trying to find my way on to the trip so I can go visit Ursa Minor first hand and check it out. Thanks for all the pics from everyone!!

JDaPP

Adventurer
I am in Tampa. If you are ever up this way give me a shout and you check a J30 out in person. Mine is original so not fancy like everyone else...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior