Series II advice

onemanarmy

Explorer
this is the only forum I frequent that has a dedicated Land Rover section, so I'll ask here

Going to look at a 1965 109" series IIA tomorrow, LHD and gas engine. What should I look for and ask about? It seems pretty complete and is driveable and is stock.

What are some red flags? any parts that are critical that are hard to find? common upgrades to look for? says it needs heater/heater core work....this hard to do? Not scared of some work, just never owned a Rover before....I'm sure its a love/hate type of thing.

Thanks

rover109

Check out the Rovers North site. Under the "Club" heading you will find a lot of rover sites. Some of those sites probably have a guide of what to look for in a series truck such as frame & bulkhead rust etc.

Good luck!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Look for rust. Frame rust is common. Minor stuff can be easily repaired. Prefabbed repair sections are available. If it's too bad you can get a brand new galvanized frame. If you're lucky the seller already did.
Rust in the firewall is common as well. Foot wells, door posts, upper corners. Again, repair sections are available.
Rust in the door frames. Most likely.....
Make sure the transmission works well. The IIa tranny isn't synchronized in 1st, 2nd or reverse FYI...
Check out the front swivel balls (steering knuckles). If the plated ball is really rusted then that can get somewhat expensive to fix if you aren't willing to live with constant leaks.
Most parts are available and many will interchange with trucks right up to the last SIII model.
Buy with your head, not some romantic notion.

onemanarmy

Explorer
Thanks. He mentioned some frame rust, but said the body is solid. It'll have to be a very good deal for me to buy it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

onemanarmy

Explorer
Yea....went and looked at it. Needs a frame and a heater core. Body is solid and its complete. Runs and drives but needs a hell of a tune up.

jgdisco2

Adventurer
Nice, I saw that one the other day browsing...I'm wanting a series 3 though. Other than a new frame it doesn't sound to bad. You make an offer or just walk?

rat patrol

Adventurer
Frame and bulk head are known for rusting out if not taken care of. The other thing is to make sure the negative earth wiring has not been bubbafied.

czenkov

Adventurer
this is the only forum I frequent that has a dedicated Land Rover section, so I'll ask here

Going to look at a 1965 109" series IIA tomorrow, LHD and gas engine. What should I look for and ask about? It seems pretty complete and is driveable and is stock.

What are some red flags? any parts that are critical that are hard to find? common upgrades to look for? says it needs heater/heater core work....this hard to do? Not scared of some work, just never owned a Rover before....I'm sure its a love/hate type of thing.

Thanks

Look for...
Big Deal:
Frame, bulkhead, swivel balls, trans.

Smaller deal:
Door bottoms, outriggers, springs, etc.

Some "nice bennies":
Overdrive, parabolic springs, kodiak heater, etc.

Good luck!

onemanarmy

Explorer
Frame was bad, front spring hangers were bad. No extra goodies like a 5 speed. Body was good all around. Needs tires and brake work. And I still wanted it.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Buy this instead:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53762

First off, it runs, has a GREAT engine in it, and isn't rusted to crap.

Or this:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53901

Sorry, with the price of capable series vehicles out there under $10k, there is no need to buy an overpriced basket case. Let me guess, despite needing a new frame he still wants $5k for it. Yeah you ain't frame swapping for $3,500. So buy one of these trucks, save you time and money, and start enjoying it.

onemanarmy

Explorer
I'm not gonna get it. Too much work when there are running and driving options out there. The real reason I was interested is because it was a 2 door and was LHD. RHD is cool in theory, but I like LHD better if available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles