What to use on helmet visor for riding in rain?

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
I was wondering what products people use to keep the rain wicking off of your visor. I was looking at rainx but it said not to use it on plastics.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I just keep mine as clean as possible, and clean it often. That way the rain beads up and rolls off quickly. Wipe once in a while with my glove if needed. Takes getting used to riding with a wet face sheild. You can still see it's just blurred or sort of obscured. Like driving in thick fog.

Some gloves have a little squeegee on one finger.

I tried a chemical product like rain-x a long time ago, but didn't notice a big difference. Perhaps there are some newer products that work better.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Plexus works pretty well and is safe for plastics. Allegedly it is just Lemon Pledge in an overpriced can. I'm actually inclined to believe this as people get the same results using Pledge. That said, I'm still on the same can I bought 3+ years ago so the cost (maybe $9) isn't a big deal. I really like Rain-X on my windshield in the car and wish the Plexus worked as well on my visor. I haven't used it on my helmet as I have also heard the concerns about plastics. But I have also seen numerous reports of people using it for years with no ill effects. My guess would be your visor will get scratched up from use long before the Rain X ever hurts it.

mkitchen

Explorer
Speed up?

I have always heard that the trick is to go faster thereby forcing the water off the visor or fairing. I am thinking that 100 - 120 mph should be enough speed to keep things clear. Of course that may bring up an additional problem or two.
Mikey

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
If you get stuck rub a raw potato on it.

Old bush trick (where the wipers only get used once every couple of years). Just slice a potato and rub it over the shield. Makes the water run off. Works on helmet shields, wing shields etc.

gwittman

Adventurer
I don't ride a motorcycle but I race an open top car in the rain sometimes. I have found that car wax like Nu Finish liquid does a good job of beading up the rain and a little head wind blows it off. I originally tried Rain-X many yeas ago an it did work OK but eventually started streaking the visor with a hazy film. I have not had any problems with car wax. It even works on tear offs.

lonestrom

Adventurer
I ride in the rain around 200+ days a year and RAIN X is all I use and it works great IF you have air flow past your visor .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I've been using Raincoat wax which is designed specifically for plastic surfaces. I think it works better on visors than Rain-X which works best on glass. Rain-X does work though and doesn't seem to affect the plastic in any way.

Another cheap solution if you don't ride in rain very often is furniture polish; keep a couple of Pledge wipes in your pocket for emergencies!

lonestrom

Adventurer
I've been using Raincoat wax which is designed specifically for plastic surfaces. I think it works better on visors than Rain-X which works best on glass. Rain-X does work though and doesn't seem to affect the plastic in any way.

Another cheap solution if you don't ride in rain very often is furniture polish; keep a couple of Pledge wipes in your pocket for emergencies!

Pledge works GREAT On scuffed up plastics also !!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I use Pledge. There is something to the management of airflow that helps. If your windscreen causes funky turbulence, that can complicate the displacement of water on your shield. And, a little throttle sometimes helps. At 45 mph water collects on my shield. At 55, not so much. So, when safe, I have found a little added speed helps me see better. WHEN SAFE.

CDMartin

Suffering Fools
I use Sea Drops, its anti-fog for SCUBA masks. I happened to have some laying around and tried it, works great and its cheap. $5 at your local dive shop.

large_IMG_7709_web.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles