DIY Solo RTT mounting contraption

dstock

Explorer
I recently purchased CVT RTT for my Jeep JK, but do to height constraints with my garage at work, the RTT has to go on and off the Jeep for each trip.

Eventually it will get moved to some sort of trailer, but in the mean time I wanted to find a way to get the tent loaded by myself or with some help from my significant other. Once the loading platform is level with the Jeep it is surprisingly easy to move the tent across it on to the roof and vice-verse.

Sstan gave me the idea as he was also tired of burning out favors with friends.

It's basically (2) 9ft long hardwood 2 x 6's with two spreader pieces placing the long boards 3 ft apart that then hooks to the roof rack. The spreader board at the end, plus a couple of pieces of 2 x 6 keeps the RTT in place when you are getting ready to mount it. Then I use a pulley hoist to raise it up level with the roof and then just slide it over.

This is the end result:

i-V76fczf-L.jpg

More pics of the actual platform:

i-bmNcGdc-L.jpg

i-2NG5zqm-L.jpg

i-KHJPwfH-L.jpg

Holes are countersunk so as not to interfere when sliding the RTT across the platform:

i-V3jPs2S-L.jpg

I think I am going to switch to a come-along instead of the pulley system, and instead of using large storage hooks (afraid they will pull out with continued use) I am going to change to some ramp ends i found online for $20 from http://www.traxionproducts.com/5-330s.html that look like this, and then add a strap to secure it to the Gobi rack on the JK:

i-tDxs727-L.jpg

It's probably one of those things I will revise a bit to get it just right, but a good solution for now until there is a trailer to mount the RTT in the future.

Hope this is helpful!

Update: The Traxion ramp hooks arrived, very substantial but only fit 2 x 10's so I will be switching out the 2 x 6 runners for 2 x 10's, should gain a little extra strength in the process. Will update pics this weekend after the upgrade.

Last edited:

Frankspinz

Adventurer
Spring is upon us and I was just wondering how I'd get my recently purchased RTT on the XTerra or the Pinzgauer for that matter ... Problem solved, thanks !

dstock

Explorer
Spring is upon us and I was just wondering how I'd get my recently purchased RTT on the XTerra or the Pinzgauer for that matter ... Problem solved, thanks !

You are welcome, it's way cheaper then building a taller garage!! Love those Pinzgauers!

stevil

This is freakin awesome. I have the exact same problem, CVT RTT, a jeep and a gobi stealth. Even though my wife and I can manage, I'd prefer something to make it easier.

How easy is it to slide? What about when it gets to the rack?

Have you come up with any ideas for a quicker release type attachment for the RTT to the gobi? I find some of the nuts tough (and time consuming) to install because of the lack of clearance underneath.

OT, but one other q... Have you thought about forward mounting your RTT? I use the annex, and find the rear wheel well juts in too much.

dstock

Explorer
This is freakin awesome. I have the exact same problem, CVT RTT, a jeep and a gobi stealth. Even though my wife and I can manage, I'd prefer something to make it easier.

How easy is it to slide? What about when it gets to the rack?

Have you come up with any ideas for a quicker release type attachment for the RTT to the gobi? I find some of the nuts tough (and time consuming) to install because of the lack of clearance underneath.

OT, but one other q... Have you thought about forward mounting your RTT? I use the annex, and find the rear wheel well juts in too much.

It is very easy to slide, I was able to do it by myself when I took it off, certainly even easier when my SO helped. I put a blanket on the the rack which made it slide on even easier, then just pulled it out after.

I agree, it's difficult to get to the rear mounts on the Gobi. When I took it off, I only undid one nut on each mounting bracket, and just swung the cross plate out of the way. Then I lifted the RTT a little bit and slid the mounts off of the rails. I may eventually get a pair of the Gobi accessory crossbars and just leave them attached to the tent, then it's just 4 bolts on the outside rails of the rack and you are done.

Since it takes awhile to get the Gobi bars, I am going to give it another try (now that I know what I am doing) and see if its really that much of an issue. I also bought a long handled, very flat 3/8" socket wrench with flexible heads that I think will allow me to only have to get one hand under the rack. I'll have to take a pic of it, cause I can't find a pic online. I'll know next week if it works.

I didn't hang the annex yet but my wheels are almost in line with the edge of the fender, we're going for a shakedown run soon so we will see how it goes.

stevil

I agree, it's difficult to get to the rear mounts on the Gobi. When I took it off, I only undid one nut on each mounting bracket, and just swung the cross plate out of the way. Then I lifted the RTT a little bit and slid the mounts off of the rails. I may eventually get a pair of the Gobi accessory crossbars and just leave them attached to the tent, then it's just 4 bolts on the outside rails of the rack and you are done.

I also bought a long handled, very flat 3/8" socket wrench with flexible heads that I think will allow me to only have to get one hand under the rack. I'll have to take a pic of it, cause I can't find a pic online. I'll know next week if it works.

I didn't hang the annex yet but my wheels are almost in line with the edge of the fender, we're going for a shakedown run soon so we will see how it goes.

That is kind of what I did too, but it's still a pain... I have a gear (or ratcheting) crescent wrench, that works well. Like these: http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-97...ower-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1399345594&sr=1-2

I also just splurged and spent $11 on these Yakima adapters. If these work, then there will only be 4 bolts total: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025UH06U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But the crossbars are a good idea too. I may try those to shift the whole tent forward, avoid the bump from the wheel well and allow me to use the rack for storage.

dstock

Explorer
I also just splurged and spent $11 on these Yakima adapters. If these work, then there will only be 4 bolts total: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025UH06U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But the crossbars are a good idea too. I may try those to shift the whole tent forward, avoid the bump from the wheel well and allow me to use the rack for storage.

I'm not sure I would trust only 4 bolts and the plastic adapters, seems like a lot of weight to be bouncing off around off-road. I'm already down to the 4 bolts, since I am only removing one nut at each mounting plate. The front ones are easy, so it's really just the back two that are a pain.

This is the wrench I bought, it's about a foot long so I am hoping it will help a bit with the the rear bolts. Found it at Harbor Freight but can't seem to find it on their site. Will report back on the next mounting!

i-fXPZrCc-L.jpg

Aaron Wasson

In the rear with the gear
Love the idea. Perfect timing too as I was wondering how I was going to get my series 3 on my Tacoma alone. Have you thought about some thin Delrin across the wood surface to help with sliding?

dstock

Explorer
Love the idea. Perfect timing too as I was wondering how I was going to get my series 3 on my Tacoma alone. Have you thought about some thin Delrin across the wood surface to help with sliding?

Sliding wasn't bad but sure, I imagine that would only makes things easier.

dstock

Explorer
Just a quick update, the ramp hooks I ordered only fit 2 x 10. The wood was pretty inexpensive so I will just replace the long pieces with 2 x10's, gain a little added strength as a bonus.

RubiChris

Observer
How about adding wheels to the bottom (or a wheeled rack that it lowers onto) so after you offload it from the vehicle you can just roll it into the garage for storage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles