Buy new F350 or restore older 7.3?

Huffy

Observer
What are your opinions on restoring a older 7.3 CCLB -vs. buying a new F350 to haul a 3000# truck camper around North America? I'm pretty good with a wrench and have the time, money and place to do it but, have no illusions about 20 year old trucks. There is a lot to "restore" bearings, evaporators, blowers, injectors, hoses, rust and the list goes on. On the other side a new one is 50+ beans and from what I can tell they are darn near unserviceable on the road. Which way would you go?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
You will be miles ahead just in fuel consumption by sticking with a 7.3

And why do you feel it needs to be "restored"?

Make is serviceable, do some preventative maintenance, and run it.

Hell, my old 7.3 powerstroke has more than 250,000 miles, and I wouldnt hesitate to jump into it right now to drive cross country.

That said, a crew cab F350 will not have the payload capacity to legally haul a 3k lb camper.

Huffy

Observer
IdaSHO, I have a 2002 7.3 2WD with 200K miles, it is in exceptional condition. The 2WD and SB are the big issues. There are also the little things around the engine which are getting tired and despite no failures to date its all original. Wheel bearings are getting noisy, AC is original and sometimes balky, alternator, transmission, etc., all original and I wonder how far they will go. The only thing replaced so far was the water pump and hoses a few weeks ago. The truck has a 2600# payload and with 2600# in there, you know it. Just wondering if its time to find a 4WD long bed and go through it, estimate $25K when done or drop the coin and be all new, with a common rail hard to service machine.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I've been on both sides of this equation in the last year. I bought a new F350 Lariat last June and drove the piss out of it for a few months, I put about 35k on it. Sticker price was around $60k but I walked out around $45k. In October I stumbled across my dream truck, a '00 F250 7.3 with the 6 speed. I didn't hesitate at all to trade the new truck in. So far I'm 6 months and 20k miles in on the 7.3. The truck has about 220k miles on it. I have had to put some money into it. Goodyear dura track tires, front brakes, front rotors, 4x Bilstein 5100's, clutch, master and slave cylinders, a few oil changes, seat covers, a couple sensors, weather tech mats. So far I'm more than happy with the decision and it hasn't been down for a whole day aside from the clutch. I vote for finding a nice 7.3 and base lining the maintenance.

Huffy

Observer
ttravis, How do you feel about the change in ride and noise? If you were traveling the country and away from where you can work on the truck would that change your thoughts on the right one? There are two pretty decent 7.3's nearby that look good. One is going on the lift Thursday. Both 4WD, one manual CCLB, one auto CCSB which I can get for $7500 but, there is no way to fix the SB! I view tires, shock and the like as regular maintenance cost and a lot of items could move from my current truck. What do you think of the heavier replacement items like adding lockers, ball joints, etc. Thats a good bit of work and not without cost.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
ttravis, How do you feel about the change in ride and noise? If you were traveling the country and away from where you can work on the truck would that change your thoughts on the right one? There are two pretty decent 7.3's nearby that look good. One is going on the lift Thursday. Both 4WD, one manual CCLB, one auto CCSB which I can get for $7500 but, there is no way to fix the SB! I view tires, shock and the like as regular maintenance cost and a lot of items could move from my current truck. What do you think of the heavier replacement items like adding lockers, ball joints, etc. Thats a good bit of work and not without cost.

I don't notice the ride as much as everyone else that has ridden in both of my trucks does. I do know that the new Bilsteins made it drive like a totally different truck, best money spent so far. The only thing that I really miss on the new truck is the Bluetooth and satellite radio and the factory locker, which wouldn't be that hard to do aftermarket. The noise is louder in the 7.3 but not enough to bother me. I have driven both trucks to some pretty far out there places for work and I never really worried too much about either one breaking down. I am going through the 7.3 little by little and the more I do the more I like it. I really plan on keeping this truck for a good while. I may get around to adding a locker down the road if I need it, but I haven't yet.

I never had any issues with my 6.7 but my buddy that bought one a week after me has had a few problems with his. Mostly dpf issues from too much idling on rig locations.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
I would search the country for the newest, lowest mileage, 7.3 available. I would be ready to fly across the country for the right truck. They are out there. I have a 2003 7.3 F350 CCSB siting in my garage that only has 120,000km (75,000 miles) so I know they are out there (no mine is not for sale :) ). Then I would plan on keeping that truck as long as possible. The best way, in my opinion, to make the truck last is to only use it when you actually need a truck. I see so many people using their diesel trucks as daily drivers and commuter vehicles, it makes me wonder what they are thinking. I commute 190km (120miles) per day, if i used my truck it would cost $45 per day in fuel not to mention the wear and tear and maintenance costs. My 2007 Honda costs me $15/day in fuel. The savings in fuel alone pays for the car and insurance, plus it keeps the miles off the truck. This way I hope my truck will last for a very long time.

IMG_0077_zps05695525.jpg

Last edited:

93Cummins

Observer
I guess I will be different and vote for the new truck and a 6.7. I have a 2011 F350, club cab long bed 4x4 with single rear wheels. If you are going long distances I don't think you can go wrong. You will see better fuel economy, less noise, better ride and at least equal power. I have driven many 7.3's, 6.0's and Dodge with various Cummins ( I own a '92). I'll take my current F350 over all of them. I tow a 30 foot Toy Hauler frequently with a fully loaded weight in the 11K lbs range and get excellent results with frequent trips through the Sierras.

XRrider

Observer
Having owned a '96 F350 w/7.3 for 8 years and currently an '01 F350 w/6.8 gas there is a part of me that wishes I still had my OBS truck. For what I spent on vehicles between selling the 200,000mile '96 in 2004 and where I am now I could have had it tip top with money in my pocket again.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I'm not so sure about the mileage being better on the new truck. My 6.7 averaged between 15 and 18 calculated by hand, with the best being 20 on a trip between Spearfish, SD and Williston ND. My 7.3 usually gets about 16 to 20 with the best being 22 on a trip from Denver to Alamosa.

My $45k 6.7 was a great truck, I just haven't found anything it would do that my $10k 7.3 won't do besides be a little more comfortable and have 2x more expensive insurance and 10x more expensive registration.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
If it was me, I'd find a cheaper 6.4, put a FULL bullet proof motor (including pistons) in it enjoy the heck out of it.

The biggest and most important question really is the budget.. While living the cab of your truck may not be what your targeting, the luxury of new trucks will make all the driving that much easier.

The 6.7 is a great motor, runs smooth and quiet, with everything intact, much cleaner. A much higher level of complexity though and are much more sensitive to fuel quality. Water in the fuel will destroy the high pressure fuel pump and you basically just bought yourself a new motor.

Saline

Adventurer
Another vote for the 7.3L. The overall simplicity of the motor makes for a very reliable platform. I luckily found a 2002 CC 4x4 SB with only 110k miles on it. I love it.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
I would search the country for the newest, lowest mileage, 7.3 available. I would be ready to fly across the country for the right truck. They are out there. I have a 2003 7.3 F350 CCSB siting in my garage that only has 120,000km (75,000 miles) so I know they are out there (no mine is not for sale :) ). Then I would plan on keeping that truck as long as possible. The best way, in my opinion, to make the truck last is to only use it when you actually need a truck. I see so many people using their diesel trucks as daily drivers and commuter vehicles, it makes me wonder what they are thinking. I commute 190km (120miles) per day, if i used my truck it would cost $45 per day in fuel not to mention the wear and tear and maintenance costs. My 2007 Honda costs me $15/day in fuel. The savings in fuel alone pays for the car and insurance, plus it keeps the miles off the truck. This way I hope my truck will last for a very long time.

IMG_0077_zps05695525.jpg

Yeah, I am going to have to HIGHLY disagree with you here. What are we thinking who drive our trucks daily? Um, that is what they are for. It isn't a museum piece. It's a truck, plain and simple. They are made to work. Any decent mechanic will tell you that the worst thing you can do to a truck, especially a diesel truck, is let it sit while only operating periodically. I wonder what people are thinking that buy another vehicle to keep the one vehicle preserved to keep costs down. Heck, the $$ used to purchase that 2007 Honda would go quite a long way in operating that diesel truck. I also wonder why people think it not wasteful or overindulgent to have to own two vehicles to let the other sit. Again, socially irresponsible, but that's just my opinion. I just think if you can't afford it, why have it. Oh wait, to look at right? Your doing that way more than driving it it sounds like.

Anyways, back on track. go with the older 7.3! They are way reliable and easier/cheaper to work on. A good 7.3 will go 500,000 miles and still keep going if it is taken care of properly. And no,taking care of it properly does NOT mean parking it and not driving it. Just how bad is it anyways? Restoring and fixing up are two very different things.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne