Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

stioc

Expedition Leader
2014 will bring a lot of change for our family... new location, new vehicle we'll see.

Hope you're not moving too far. Speaking of Dodge RAM 2500 I've never met an owner that said they didn't like their PowerWagon (similar to an FWC owner). Me personally I like the Ford Raptor better but then it's a 1/2 ton truck vs. 3/4 so with a FWC a Power Wagon is probably a much better option. Some changes are fun and exciting, good luck.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Hope you're not moving too far. Speaking of Dodge RAM 2500 I've never met an owner that said they didn't like their PowerWagon (similar to an FWC owner). Me personally I like the Ford Raptor better but then it's a 1/2 ton truck vs. 3/4 so with a FWC a Power Wagon is probably a much better option. Some changes are fun and exciting, good luck.

Holy Schnikes we're moving to Florida!!! We are still in the awe and disbelief phase of reality... a lot of things to take in to consideration. Well... since we're not moving to Hawaii, we're more incline to keeping the LC. I know there's trails and camping in the South East, but it's definitely not the West. We're excited either way.
PowerWagon with a FWC = :drool:, gotta dream right?

94SRUNNER

Adventurer
Hope you decide to keep the 80. Plenty of adventure out east, albeit not as empty as the west.

I really enjoy your family trip reports. I am looking forward to taking my son for his first!

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Hope you decide to keep the 80. Plenty of adventure out east, albeit not as empty as the west.

I really enjoy your family trip reports. I am looking forward to taking my son for his first!

I feel ashamed for even thinking of getting rid of the 80... It was a slight lapse of insanity, More space and comfort is definitely on my wife's mind though. Growing up, some of my most memorable times were going camping... only wish it was with my own mom and pops. Something about being outdoors... your boy will always remember camping. Have Fun.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Death Valley... Snow, Sun, and Stars 11/22/2013

Sorry it's taken so long to wrap up this write up, just been busy and we've got a lot to do and plan for, for this year.

Leaving Butte Valley that morning was bitter sweet... I wanted to get back home with the wife and boys, but was just having a hard time leaving. The silence and isolation was just so invigorating, it was literally energizing my soul. Leaving the hustle of work, the bustle of family life, and sound of the city for even a few days can work wonders on your whole being and inner serenity. I guess Death Valley is my... Man Spa. :ylsmoke:

Gotta leave some time right?

Some healthy looking Burrows on the way out.

Warm Springs camp and nearby mine. Excellent spot for group camping.

The LC as expected, has more than exceeded my expectations as always. The LCs' profound reliability, capability, and never ending quest for adventure has allowed my family and I to enjoy the outdoors more than we ever imagined.

Unfortunately... all roads lead to back top.

Just enough to get the tread wet. :snorkel:

When leaving Death Valley you are both bummed and relieved to see black top... Guess it's just the way it is.

FYI. Informed the wife that we'll be going to DV for at least a week before we leave for Florida. :sombrero: stay tuned.

GCRad1

Adventurer
Hey Mauka2Makai,

Your trips are just awesome!!! One day I want get on your wagon trail and follow along!!!

Sempertoy

Explorer
Daeon, Trust me when I tell you this. Visit DV, yosemite, anza borrego and big bear as many times as you can before you make the move. There just isn't anything quite like that on this side of the country.

carlpb

Looks like a port a john was added recently at the geologist cabin in DV and good to see the tortious shell I found while wondering the hills nearby is still on the mantel. Looking forward to heading here again in a couple weeks, didn't see a sole for 3 days. Good luck in Florida.

Last edited:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Hey Mauka2Makai,
Your trips are just awesome!!! One day I want get on your wagon trail and follow along!!!

Thanks Bud... I'm planning on DV, Mojave, or Bradshaw soon.

Daeon, Trust me when I tell you this. Visit DV, yosemite, anza borrego and big bear as many times as you can before you make the move. There just isn't anything quite like that on this side of the country.

Trust me... with the upcoming move getting closer and closer, I'm just itching to get some trail time. As much as I'd like to spend every weekend out "There" finding time isn't coming easy lately. I'll be hitting you up for recommendations while passing through Texas.

Looks like a port a john was added recently at the geologist cabin in DV and good to see the tortious shell I found while wondering the hills nearby is still on the mantel. Looking forward to heading here again in a couple weeks, didn't see a sole for 3 days. Good luck in Florida.

That port a John is well made... even has solar lighting for night time visits. Thanks, Florida will be a whole new adventure.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Blue Sea Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker Installation

It's been nearly 2 years since I purchased the Blue Sea ST 12 Circuit Fuse Block and 100 amp Thermal Circuit Breaker. Finding a location that was secure, accessible, and protected was a challenge in of itself. Two spots were considered in the engine bay, but I opted out for those locations since majority of the power requirement would be aft of the engine fire wall. Other spots considered were passenger side forward foot well, RH side of passenger seat, RH side of cargo area deck. I just wasn't feeling any of these locations for the installation of the fuse block.

My perfect location for the fuse block was always there, just never realized it till recently. The RH cargo cubby... It would take a new bracket to be fabed up and an awful lot of wire, but it made perfect sense to me. Everything would be in line with the second battery on the RH side and all my requirements would be met.

The bracket for the fuse block is attached in the cubby using 4 stainless steel bolts with a combination of spacers and rubber bushings to provide vibration dampening and clearance for the West Marine 12v and Blue Sea dual USB charging outlets. With the Blue Sea fuse block cover on... clearance is maintained allowing for installation of the cubbies cargo cover maintaining a clean, protected, and out of sight installation. See top picture.
With ~12ft. of marine grade wire being used I referenced a Wire Gauge Chart and decided on using 4 gauge wire for a max of 100 amps. Both wires were protective wrapped and routed along the factory bundle behind interior fairings, in the rear and passenger door sills protective housing, and behind passenger footwell housing into the fire wall rubber boot that provided access to the engine bay. The negative was connected directly to the negative battery terminal and Positive was routed to the 100 amp circuit breaker that I attached to the cruise control cover and on to the positive terminal.

Best benefit in having a switchable circuit breaker besides protection is being able to turn power on and off to the fuse block as desired to prevent parasitic power draws to the secondary battery and be in control for when it receives power.

I'm pretty happy with my electrical system... IBS, new grounds and links, alternator, Blue Sea components, and West Marine electrical components. Both batteries are AGM and same CCA... as recommended for the secondary I flipped it to have the positive inboard. This will have to work for the time being till I can replace it with a similar Sears battery with terminals inboard. Rubber boots for the Terminals and Circuit Breaker will be on the list as well.

Ignition off circuit breaker on... we've got power!

Oh Yeah! Powers on, both batteries are fully charged and linked, and alternator is producing.

With 10 circuits left I'm planning on installing USB power outlets for the rear seat and passenger areas, 12v outlet for drivers area, CB, HAM, air compressor, light for cargo area and rear vehicle, and eventually a fridge for the 12v that already in the cargo area... I"ll just drill a hole through the cargo cubby cover.
Completing the foundation for all my current and future electrical needs has been very rewarding to see it all come together. This has by far been my most time consuming modification to the LC and I'm glad for the most part is done. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I can honestly now say that my dual battery system is complete having just installed Blue Sea automotive battery terminal insulating cable caps for both batteries and terminal lug cable caps for the circuit breaker. These will provide peace of mind in helping to prevent shorts.

Primary battery

Secondary battery

Circuit Breaker terminal lug Cable Caps

Dual Batteries just fit so nice and balanced in a 80 series.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Sweet setup, nice work! Hope you continue to post your adventures here once you've settled in at the new location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles