Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Looks great! I'm just curious, why do some people not get the side see-through windows in back with this top? Is there a specific reason for it?

I never saw a use for them in the first place. Visibility out of the back sucks in general, and I use my mirrors. I never used it as "living" space so I stack gear on a shelf back there. So for me, it would have been $500 for something I didn't want in the first place. Plus it looks cool and different without them. ;)

emkay

Observer
terra, you are right, but: 1. the price was updated meanwhile, it was 32k as far as I remember and 2. I deducted Vat. as the US based price is net also to make a fair comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SLOfizz

Observer
I got the windows with the slider screens to keep a dog or downstairs camper comfortable. I also use the rear passenger window a lot pulling out of parking spots. We have crazy drivers here, so the more you see, the better.
They are more money, so if you don't need/want them, there is no point buying them.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I got the passenger window, and I do use it for daily driving. When traveling I am all packed up so I cant see out of it. You don't need the drivers side, so you might be able to go 50/50. You can always add things to your mirrors or get a backup camera and rig it to be on full time to get a wide FOV off the back.

vwphibs

I got the windows with the slider screens to keep a dog or downstairs camper comfortable. I also use the rear passenger window a lot pulling out of parking spots. We have crazy drivers here, so the more you see, the better.
They are more money, so if you don't need/want them, there is no point buying them.

I've been thinking about adding those slider windows when I hopefully place my order later year for my 2 dogs when we go camping. I know Jeeps aren't known for being the most secure vehicle, but how secure are the locks for the slider windows?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Just ordered a JKURX because of this top. If I had the cash reserves, I'd have just bought BrianJWilson's rig, as it's setup pretty much perfect (IMO).
My last "overlander" was a VW Eurovan Camper. Did well in the desert/river washes, but not so well on trails with the LP tank hanging down. The pop top was awesome.
One thing that would be really advantageous would be some kind of heater. The Eurovan had an excellent forced air LP heater system, that would keep the whole van toasty in really cold nasty weather. Also kept the humidity down inside the vehicle.

Scott

SLOfizz

Observer
It is a pretty secure design. If you imagine it in layers, the outer most layer is the fixed window, the middle is the sliding window and the inner is the screen. The latch for the slider locks to the screens frame, so you can not slide anything between the 2 layers of glass to jimmy it open. You would have to pry the window enough to break the aluminum screen frame.

I can open the door easier, so the only flaw is the lack of alarm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles