Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

mike2100

Observer
BACK ON TOPIC: Spare Tire Question

How did you guys get the 33" spare mounted under the truck? Did you just cut the two "pylons?" A lot of people tell me you have to cut off the exhaust tip but obviously you guys haven't done that. Do you get any rubbing? Does the bend in the TRD exhaust allow more clearance?

THANKS!!!

getoutside

Observer
I think this is a horrible turn for this thread. I love and will continue to watch the episodes and check the official site but will not continue to follow this thread. I had some questions about the build and hopefully can get them answered at some point.

Clay, I am sorry for you and the team to see the way this thread has gone. keep up the good work and we will see you on the high ground.

drfreema

AEV JK350
Because of this ridiculous turn, people are still waiting on answers regarding the way the RTT is mounted to the shell, availability of the first season, and tire choice. I'd love to hear the answers but I wouldn't be surprised if Clay has unsubscribed from this thread, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Because of this ridiculous turn, people are still waiting on answers regarding the way the RTT is mounted to the shell, availability of the first season, and tire choice. I'd love to hear the answers but I wouldn't be surprised if Clay has unsubscribed from this thread, too.

Maybe a mod could move all the non relevant posts to another thread called the "Armchair non-filmers Cinematic Filming a Reality Show Technique Bickering" thread in the off topic section.

cent frum a smaert fone

Aaron Wasson

In the rear with the gear
OK guys, ... let's dial this back a notch.
Many of you are in violation of the terms of use with the banter and tenor of your responses.

This needs to be in the spirit of camaraderie and fun.

Keep it civil.

Thank you.

Where is my Facebook like button....

kai38

Explorer
I enjoyed the videos, the commentary reminds me of old Warren Miller ski movies.
Thanks for sharing the videos. I saw a lot of the same places on my trip to Alaska from New Mexico in 2011

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I'd like to also add, ... I have heard some other sites refer to this as mickey mouse and "hey we tried to get out in the out back so we got stuck, gave up and drove back to town for a pizza.
Never judge until you have walked another man's shoes.

I for one can tell you I have thoroughly enjoyed the series and in one sitting had my wife keep saying, let's watch the next one. We have a date tonight to watch episode 9. Can't wait.

Carry on.

D

+1 Dendy....the other month at CFW...Susan and I got the tent setup and then drove back to Dahlonega to a Mexican restaurant.......it was good and hit the spot since it was below freezing outside.

Love the show and keep up the good work.

Hoover77

I have a couple of questions regarding the Baja Rack and the RTT with the ARE CX shell. Does the Baja Rack mount to the Yakima Tracks on the CX shell? and is the CX shell strong enough to support the rack and the RTT or did you have to add additional support. Some closer pics of the mount would be great!

Bump
and would like to know about the sheath knives as well. Thanks!!

climber-420

Adventurer
Bump
and would like to know about the sheath knives as well. Thanks!!

Per the guys........"Clay is carrying the Bushcrafter and ty is carrying the Benchmade nimravus cub. Ryan is carrying a cold steel something or other that hes been packing around since Iraq"

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
we were able to just bend the pylons out a bit. its worked just fine for now! 20,000 miles on tha setup without any issue. Hope that helps!
How did you guys get the 33" spare mounted under the truck? Did you just cut the two "pylons?" A lot of people tell me you have to cut off the exhaust tip but obviously you guys haven't done that. Do you get any rubbing? Does the bend in the TRD exhaust allow more clearance?

THANKS!!!

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
The Tacoma performed this trip with the stock tank. AT the time our LRA tank was setup for a sport not a TRD and the Diff actuator motor got in the way of the install. It was a big bummer. Post trip we have removed that axle and put in the bigger 8 inch gears and an ARB air locker. (we wanted the added reliability of the bigger diff in the end and would in hind sight buy the sport.) Anyway, that allowed us to put in the LRA fuel tank and we have been rocking on that since october. Its added 10 more usable gallons and has been a cherry upgrade!

Clay-

Also, did the Tacoma end up with a larger fuel tank/secondary tank? Or did it run this expedition on stock fuel capacity?

Thanks!

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Our average mileage was around 12 across the board between the vehicles. Often times the Tacoma would average 14 but working out all the data its closer to 12. The Land Cruiser has the LRA AUX fuel tank in the rear which carries 160 litres (42.2 gallons) giving it a total of 67 gallons of fuel on board. with a 12 mile ave thats a range of 804 miles. Add the jerries on the back and youve got nearly 925 miles in range. We often used the jerrys to offset the range difference of the tacoma. We put them in the Tacoma about 5-6 times through out this trip. We now have a LRA fuel tank in the Tacoma after we swapped the Axle and installed an Airlocker (more on that later) and have a 10 gallon increase in range. Had that tank been installed while on this trip we would have added fuel from Jerry's only a couple times.

So after watching the last episode and you had said you forgot to fill up on gas at the last stop. But knew your mileage limit and had enough distance in the truck left. What gas mileage did you guys experience through the trip? What was/is your range with the tacoma and aux fuel size tank? I'm getting more and more motivated and excited for my next Tacoma to show up in my driveway. I feel Nekkid without mine!

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Enjoyed the last video, episode 7. Can you post your expenses for the journey? Average mpg, miles per day, etc...

Average miles per gallon overall was 12, Miles per day average was 180 miles per day (isn). We would often do 300-400 mile pushes. Cost of fuel total for both rigs was $9,300 dollars of cold hard american cash. food spent was $3500 (up to 8 people being fed), Adventure money spent on excursions etc was $4,500 (again 6 people rack up this cost). Repair costs where somewhere in the $1,500 range for the two rigs. Two new windshields when we returned $500.... Trip duration was 6 weeks for reference. And people wonder why we need sponsors.. HA!!

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
The RTT sits on the Baja Rack Flat rack (non mesh) for the tacoma shell. The rack is mounted in the factory channels we requested ARE to put in. ITs been a very bomber system without any problems thus far.
Ive put in my two cents on tire choice in the AT2 Grabbers thread. heres the post comment.

"Expedition Overland is sponsored by General Tire, but the assessment below is my honest impression. I would have to say this about the grabber AT2, They are great for the money! All around I have run three sets of them. They have handled and performed great on the Tacoma. Wear has been significantly higher on the Land Cruiser due to its weight and towing a bunch with the Xventure. AT2 wear has been equivelant to/vs the BFG all terrain on the Tacoma. I have found that the Grabber AT2 clear better in the mud and I prefer the performance of the Grabber AT2 over the BFG All Terrain in the mud (however, it is not a mud terrain tire and I and General would never make that claim its a true ALL TERRAIN). Within the group at XO we have come to a conclusion that for the price point that General has them at they are a great buy and we would not hesitate to buy them. THE BFG all terrain and AT2 have similar snow handling however the Generals have the ability to be easily studded (pre drilled). I have a studded set and have been very happy with them (over the performance of the BFG all terrain 8 ply in the snow). I run interstate and a dirt road everyday to work. Often times in deep snow, ice, slush over a wide range of temps 90 to -35 etc. The studs are a great bonus. I would not hesitate to buy them for any of my vehicles."

First season is down for right now for business and creative reasons. Sorry that its not available at this time.

Clay-

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles