Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Septu

Explorer
Well, I am a J30 owner. Bigfish and I worked out a deal, I bought his top, and he will be ordering a new one, he is pretty darn tall so he will really enjoy the extra head room! I am just happy to have a sweet tent on my roof with out a roof rack, or a box of a roof top tent. :victory: Really impressed with the build quality, can't wait to get out and camp.

What's the difference between the "old" one and the "new" one?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
11 inches more headroom in the tent and stainless steel hinges. Also has a recess for side mounted awning feet or a ladder. Same price I think...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Here is the summary:

As sharp eyes have noticed, we are shipping the newest version of the J30! We have incorporated both feedback from customers and our own experiences building, installing and camping. I'll post a more details and photos when we get a finished unit on the company Jeep, but the here are the basics:
- Increased headroom, going from about 31" on the earlier generation to 42" at the rear - enough room to sit up inside easily, and creating more standing room in the access way.
- More stainless steel components. Most of our fasteners have always been stainless, a carry over from our boat building origins, but we now run the scissor hinges in stainless too.
- Integrated pads on both sides of the shell which make it easy to fabricate brackets for things like awnings, ladders and lifting points.

Not as visible...
- New cleaner profile where the tent mounts
- More space when closed, about 1" or so at the rear
- New options for outlets/switches in the sleeping area
- Blue Sea power bus, ties all power into one block in the camper which can be easily added on to by owners
- Any number of general improvements in how we build/fabricate them.

Amy - it's a little taller, so yes there is more area exposed but it's unlikely to be significant. In a side blow, the vehicle tends to rock but that was true in the previous version as well.

aristobrat

Observer
Does anyone take their J30 on/off on a semi-regular basis?

My JK is my DD, and a lot of the fun for me for having a JK in Virginia is driving around in the summer with the soft-top down and the doors off.

I'm very interested in starting to do some overland exploring (and would love to have a J30 for that), but with my schedule, I would only be able to do that one weekend a month, maybe two. The idea of running the J30 on top all of the time isn't something I'm completely sold on yet.

I'm guessing most folks have their J30 on almost all of the time, but was curious if anyone took theirs on/off throughout the month.

Thanks! :)

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I don't take mine off, but if I had a garage/shop that my jeep would fit in, I would build a hoist. I really miss driving around with the spiderweb shade top myself. :( but hey I bought a bike for this summer so whatever.

Aside from being really heavy and awkward there is no reason you can't unplug the single connector, remove the 8 bolts and pull it off like any other top.

aristobrat

Observer
I was thinking hoist too. Wasn't sure if the J30 had a weight distribution awkward enough to make using a hoist unreasonable.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I was thinking hoist too. Wasn't sure if the J30 had a weight distribution awkward enough to make using a hoist unreasonable.

I don't see why. It is really difficult to load by hand for that reason. The person in the front has to carry a ton of weight high over their head. But a set of pulleys set up properly should make it easy work.

hardwickj

I'm really kicking myself for getting an all-black new Rubicon last July. Thinking all black w/ white top will look goofy, while still getting overly toasty in the hotter climates.

Went to the dealer yesterday to inquire about trading in already for a white Rubi X. If I can get a good enough deal, then the J30 will be my next step :)

skates04

Adventurer
You can get the white top paint matched, I am probably going to try and get the sides of the white cap vinyl wrapped to match my paint. Plan is to leave the top, which you can't see, white. Best of both worlds... I think getting a new Jeep is'nt needed. Ursa Minor makes them all made to order so I am sure if you ask for it, they will do it for you. Your black would be easy to match with vinyl, I think I am going to have issues with rescue green!

Amy H

Observer
Are there any other install instructions beside a connector pin and bolts? I thought I read something about some weather stripping going across the front windshield? Does anyone have a video of an install? Just wonder how hard it would be to put on with or without a lift. I wouldn't want it to leak like if a regular top was put on incorrectly. ~ I don't own a jeep, but have been watching these j30/ecamper threads for over a year trying to plan out my next moves. :)

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Well my Jeep is up for sale :( if anyone is interested in a fully built rig that's ready to go anywhere!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ited-Ursa-Minor-J30-Pop-Up-Camper-Fully-Built!!!

null_zpse842e20d.jpg

skates04

Adventurer
Are there any other install instructions beside a connector pin and bolts? I thought I read something about some weather stripping going across the front windshield? Does anyone have a video of an install? Just wonder how hard it would be to put on with or without a lift. I wouldn't want it to leak like if a regular top was put on incorrectly. ~ I don't own a jeep, but have been watching these j30/ecamper threads for over a year trying to plan out my next moves. :)

There shouldn't be anything special. The only difference between the J30 and factory top is that it does not use the front windshield latches and it does not attach to the center roll bar next to the sound bar. It uses a nut and bolt through a factory hole on each side of the roll bar next to the front driver and passenger doors.

We installed mine in a few minutes. The hard parts are lifting it, and tucking in the excess carpet (if you want to tidy it up)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior