Full size crew (short bed) vs. Tacoma Double cab

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have a standard cab long box Chevy and the only thing that can replace it is my crew cab Super Duty. My wife and I pack light but I couldn't ever go back to my extra cab s10. It sits in the back yard completely Un finished and will stay that way till its scrapped. To small under weight. We can fill either truck up fast we use the crew cab on longer road trips and the standard cab for more off road camping. They both have uses and can tow a small jeep or quads along if we need more.

eugene

Explorer
I've given many a coworker a lift in my Silverado and many are impressed but then buy a Toyota. Two of them had the frame rust by back, one has had to pay over a thousand for brake problems after warranty. They all get the same fuel economy with their v6 as my v8. They have all have half the miles, twice the problems and cost more. I kind of equate them to Apple, people buy them because of the name but there are better out there.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I have a family of four and two dogs and there is no way we could make it with out a full size truck. For 1/2 tons parts are everywhere and they ride really well. People crack me up when they complain about the ride in trucks. Did they forget they bought a truck not a car or a crossover. It sounds to me you already know you need the full size.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've given many a coworker a lift in my Silverado and many are impressed but then buy a Toyota. Two of them had the frame rust by back, one has had to pay over a thousand for brake problems after warranty. They all get the same fuel economy with their v6 as my v8. They have all have half the miles, twice the problems and cost more. I kind of equate them to Apple, people buy them because of the name but there are better out there.

Isn't there thousands and thousands of those type stories no matter the brand?

"I have a buddy who....insert whatever the issue, with whatever vehicle, here..."

I dunno fellas...if it has tits or wheels, it is gonna give ya trouble! ;)

east_tn_81

Adventurer

"I have a buddy who....insert whatever the issue, with whatever vehicle, here..."

Amen

eugene

Explorer

Its more of a why bother with the Toyota when its no better and costs more to buy and operate.

Clutch

<---Pass
Its more of a why bother with the Toyota when its no better and costs more to buy and operate.

It is that old saying, it is my money, I can spend how ever I want. [or you get what you pay for ;) ]

I dunno, over the past 25 years I have owned 3 Toyotas...think that speaks volumes, damn good little trucks. My Tacoma has 280K on the ODO...still feels tight, still feels strong...gave me very little fuss getting there. I can see it going another 100K miles. As for a full-size...sure the Silvy is nice...I would pick the Tundra over it, even with the Tundra's crappy mileage.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have had all of them in my driveway. I have also worked for most of them as a technician. They all build junk just find the junk you want to stand by. I currently own a Ford Chevy Gmc Dodge and a International. There is a suzuki on its way and enough toyota parts to build one. Toyota today has a weak frame and more electronic Crap than the first space shuttle. Chevy blessed themselves with a ugly truck and all of them have a junk transmission.

One day I'll put the ultimate truck together chevy motor toyota axles and frame I'll have to build wrap that all in a international body so it can take a hit.

I sold my 2005 GMC Duramax with a six speed manual and crew cab last year because of GM's poor build quality. I never had any mechanical issues with the truck but GM's build quality was the worst. Cheap plastic parts, fading paint, and don't even get me started with squeaks and rattles. I was raised to love Chevy and GM trucks, but the older I get the more I recognize that I was brain washed as a child. At this point you could not convince me to buy another GM product because they are so far behind the Japanese and Germans in build quality.

That being said I have a 1994 Toyota Pickup with a little 22RE, extended cab and 4wd sitting in the driveway. It has only had one owner. Their are about 200K miles on the clock and no major repairs. It still on the original clutch, front end, engine, tranny etc. It just goes and you cant kill it.

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
I agree that the new trucks all suck pre 2000 I think any truck is better than one made after. It seems they all slipped when the price new hit 40k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles