So I'm buying a van...

HoboJen

Adventurer
I agree 16k for a 30 year old van sounds pricey. You could pick up a regular cargo van Ford/GM/Dodge for literally 1 tenth to 1 third the price.
And you'd have a lot more room for a kayak and all your stuff.

You could do much more traveling with leftover cash.

but i can put like... 10 boats on top of this baby! also comes with power, a table, two beds (sleeping for 4), a pop top (i can stand up!), seating with seatbelts for 6. there's a lot of pros.. and i don't disagree that it is pricey. but going with the cargo would be a lot of work, which would cost money too. and still wouldn't have the poptop (unless i paid for that too i guess).

Cole

Expedition Leader
but i can put like... 10 boats on top of this baby! also comes with power, a table, two beds (sleeping for 4), a pop top (i can stand up!), seating with seatbelts for 6. there's a lot of pros.. and i don't disagree that it is pricey. but going with the cargo would be a lot of work, which would cost money too. and still wouldn't have the poptop (unless i paid for that too i guess).

FWIW, the Vanagon and the Eurovan Weekender have the same 201 Cubic Feet of interior room space. The Long wheelbase "Full Camper" version of the Eurovan is even 18" longer than the Short wheelbase ones.

Just saying that if you were to spend $16k you might be in the price of a Weekender Euro vs a Weekender Vanagon with engine swap. All the same amenities but the Eurovan will be MUCH more modern in many ways. The Weekender(poptop) version has 5 power outlets, fridge under one jump seat, 2 beds, standing room, table, camper slide windows with bug nets, "house battery" and engine battery, dual rear cabin camper lights, rear heater, etc. all from the factory.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader

Boats, pop top, safe, pick two!

The sprinter rocks (I would love one) but I still think the best bang for the buck is an E150 passenger van with the minimum of interior decorating to get by and a roof rack. Plus you can fix it anywhere (not that it needs it really) and you can drive a long, long, way on the money you'd save by not buying that vanagon. Just my opinion.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Boats, pop top, safe, pick two!

Part of the reason I avoided them as an initial recommendation. Having actually done a VW Eurovan Poptop Swap, its a pretty secure design when closed. Not perfect by any means and would be a pain to raise/lower with boats on top without stronger struts.

I'm sure a design could be made to make a boat rack that rode just outboard of the poptop:snorkel: Might widen the track width abit but the thing is already super narrow.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Just an observation born of hard won experience over the years. If you focus too much on creating the perfect plan, you'll end up never implementing ANY plan. Plan Good Enough is good enough. Pick a direction and roll with it, or you'll find out it's time to roll and you've nothing to roll with. You can tweak plan Good Enough as you go. Savy? :)

Cole

Expedition Leader

Just thought I'd toss it up there and see if there were any interest. I'd swap for a syncro full camper in nice shape but probably nothing else. Love my van so figured I'd toss in a price that would keep people from trying to just buy it outright. Since I've bought the Sprinter I've thought about pulling down the ad as the Euro is a great around town hideout!

As far as the OP is concerned you have to keep in mind that with 30 years of building crazy projects I can rebuild nearly anything while sitting on the side of the road. So owning another 30 year old German car isn't a biggie!

coguzzi

Adventurer
In my experience, Subaru converted vanagons are one of the more cost effective choices for the original poster that she can resell for the same or more investment down the road. I've owned 70 vehicles, and Subi syncros always offer a great value and bang for the buck (even though she is looking at 2wd-same deal). My worst investment, ford e350 diesel. One of my better, tundra with four wheel camper.

I don't think you can go wrong with a subigon, go for it and hit the road. Count on being stuck sometimes but enjoy life. Sell it next yr for the same price if need be

Jb1rd

Explorer
Just an observation born of hard won experience over the years. If you focus too much on creating the perfect plan, you'll end up never implementing ANY plan. Plan Good Enough is good enough. Pick a direction and roll with it, or you'll find out it's time to roll and you've nothing to roll with. You can tweak plan Good Enough as you go. Savy? :)
^^^^^^^^ solid advice. And the cheaper the rig the less worry, you might hate it, you might love it but you will never know until you go and do it. 16k is a lot of time on the road.

Cole

Expedition Leader
From the very first post!:coffeedrink:

I care the most about reliability. and efficiency, I suppose.

Jen

In my experience, Subaru converted vanagons are one of the more cost effective choices for the original poster.....

I don't think you can go wrong with a subigon, go for it and hit the road. Count on being stuck sometimes but enjoy life.

:coffee:

i'm scared that since it is 33 years old, and i know little to nothing about mechanics, that this won't be a good option

:coffeedrink:

Last edited:

Jb1rd

Explorer
From the very first post!:coffeedrink:
Oh snap, it just done been brought! More solid advice and from you nonetheless.

:coffeedrink:
:Wow1: ummmm this was supposed to show The last post, kind of confusing out of context, my apologies :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles