drawer for stove

Bretthn

Explorer
I will post this in the cooking section as well to get as many views and answers as possible.
I am in the process of building a large storage drawer for my LX470. Once that is done I will be building some form of a drawer to go under my fridge for storing my stove and I would like to be able to cook right out of the drawer without removing it.
My question is, for those of you that are already doing this: What do you do about your propane connection? For those of you using 1 pound cylinders, do you leave them connected? I am thinking it is probably best to disconnect when not in use, has anyone made a system that easily accommodates quick connect/disconnect without having? I have thought of converting to a butane singe burner stove to save some space and hassle. What are your thoughts on them?
Thanks in advance, any and all suggestions are welcome.

tarditi

Explorer
Disconnect them, IMHO - travel safer with them properly stowed.

a QD hookup may be interesting, but frankly, the screw-on connectors they already have are robust and you may not save a lot of time for the hassle of rigging something up.

Butane stoves are nice, but you won't get the BTUs like a quality propane stove ~10K BTU for butane vs ~ 20K BTU for a Camp Chef.
You have a lot more refueling options with propane too - can even fill up the smaller tanks off of a 20# cylinder with the right hookup.

That's my $.02

SGTCap

Adventurer
I'm looking at doing something similar. What I need is about an 18" remote line so I can mount the bottle seperately from the stove and leave it hooked up. If anyone finds anything like that, please let me know.

robert

Expedition Leader
I'm looking at doing something similar. What I need is about an 18" remote line so I can mount the bottle seperately from the stove and leave it hooked up. If anyone finds anything like that, please let me know.

Easy- Support your local Hank Hill. Go to your local local BBQ,propane, mobile home supply place and they should be able to custum make anything you need. I had one near me inspect the tank on my Westy and replace the regulator/valve assembly as well as make up new supply lines; the custom lines were only a bit more than the pre-made lines and I got the fittings I needed instead of havin to cobble something together.

djwuzj

FWIW, here is my approach. I use a Coleman Camp stove, and a remote line that I run 1lb cylinders from. Goal is to eventually connect to propane tank on bumper, or finally finish my trailer.

When you're ready to cook, pull the stove out of the drawer and place on the table. You can prep food on the cutting board right next to the grill.image-3062844533.jpg

For about $100, you have a stove, remote line, 2 propane cylinders, and an adapter to refill from 20lb tanks.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
IMG_20130105_153615-3.jpgPC231146.jpgPC231143.jpgPC231141.jpgPC231140.jpg1354571842396.jpgA lot of it depends on the model/brand of stove and fuel source. I have a PS stove and run bulk propane (and an adapter for 1lb propane bottles.) The way I built my drawer setup has the stove stored underneath the fridge and drawer #2. The fridge and stove both slide out to the side with the stove nesting beneath, ready to use as soon as the supply line is attached to the tank. Could I leave the line attached permanenty? Yes. I just choose not to. I can also lift the stove out and use it elsewhere if needed. I have Snow Peak goodies that run off of butane cannisters, so I keep adapters on hand to be able to run them off of propane as well.

jeremyk

Adventurer
View attachment 216090View attachment 216091View attachment 216092View attachment 216093View attachment 216094View attachment 216095A lot of it depends on the model/brand of stove and fuel source. I have a PS stove and run bulk propane (and an adapter for 1lb propane bottles.) The way I built my drawer setup has the stove stored underneath the fridge and drawer #2. The fridge and stove both slide out to the side with the stove nesting beneath, ready to use as soon as the supply line is attached to the tank. Could I leave the line attached permanenty? Yes. I just choose not to. I can also lift the stove out and use it elsewhere if needed. I have Snow Peak goodies that run off of butane cannisters, so I keep adapters on hand to be able to run them off of propane as well.

I saw your set up at the Expo last year, that is the cleanest, most functional kit I've ever seen. Knocked it out of the park in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles