General Grabber AT2?

Anyone running these? I'm on a budget and a need a good tire for exploring Colorado. I was considering a set of Duratracs but then a friend recommended the Grabber AT2.

If anyone has experience with these tires I'd love to hear about it. I want to go with LT265/70/17.

I have a 2007 V8 4wd 4Runner, no lift (yet).

Thanks!

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Look up the expedition overland build on here. They use the general grabber at2s, very similar to BFG AT. No personal experience sorry

fla_cracker

Observer
Also if you look up Expedition Overland on Youtube they are up to episode 4 or 5 of their Yukon trip. You can see the tires in action. They seem to be working pretty decent on their Taco and Land cruiser...

I have no personal experience with them.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I have a set on my 02 Taco, happy so far (~25k miles or so) They have worked in everything I have done. The 235/85r16 in Load E are STIFF!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Both.... rougher ride than I prefer, but good when on winding roads with my Flippac. I was not happy when I aired down for the beach... I wanted more "bulge" for the softer sand.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I can personaly say that they are rather worthless in the snow even close to brand new. they also seemed to chip out a bunch on gravel. Company I worked for ran them on the company burbans
but then again, I find the BFG AT lacking as well.
I think that general makes fine tires, this is just not one of them.
check out the Hankook Danapro ATM if you looking for a good price on a decent tire, I have 40 k on mine so far and they still have more then 50 percent left on them.
they have worked great on my taco
check out the local Les Schawb and look into the Wild Country XTX sport, I run those on my 4 runner and they are AWESOME in the snow and have great road manners.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
I've had them for a while now and I love them. I haven't had any issues in snow, but my truck is also around 6000 lbs, so I have weight that a lot of people don't have.

Clay

Adventurer
I have a set of 31x10.5x15 on my 4runner that I've run for about a year. I think they are great tires, and have zero complaints as of yet. I would buy them again.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I had them on my Liberty for ~65k. Never had an issues with them. Handled well in the snow until they got towards the end of their tread. When I finally swapped them out they had a 1.5 inch screw and probably about 4-5 nails in them that didn't even phase it. Only complaint I had were that they are a little heavy so it dropped my gas mileage ~1.5, but in fairness I went from a 225R16 to a 245r16 so that should be expected. I would have bought them again except my liberty is now more of a commuter vehicle, so I went less aggressive and smaller to maximize MPG.

oldblue

I agree with cdthiker regarding winter handling traits. I used the 265/70 r17 on my 4th gen 4runner for a couple of years in CO and found them to be ok in summer but miserable on packed snow/ice. I have much preferred the LT rated Bridgestone Revo for all year use in snowy environs. Also have a set of Cooper AT3s which I like but prefer the Revos in snow/ice. Suppposedly the Hankook Dynapros do well in winter conditions also but haven't tried them myself.

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful input.

I'd like something a bit more aggressive than Revos. The AT3 might work but I can't find it in stock anywhere, and it costs about as much as a set of Duratracs anyway, so I might as well just get the Duratracs (or the new Adventures, those look pretty nice) in that case. I can get a set of 5 AT2s for <$1000 installed, whereas everything else mentioned is $1300+.

So then would you guys equate the AT2 snow performance as similar to the BFG TAKO? I thought the BFGs on my stock 92 XJ did great in the snow. I was up on I80 a couple of winters ago and drove it through 3' of unplowed snow on some on/off ramps and they handled great. A little squirrely but I'm not the best offroad driver, so I'm sure my skill level played a part in that. To be fair, I haven't run a ton of tires through snow, so I don't have a lot of comparison. I do know the AT2s are snowflake rated.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful input.

I'd like something a bit more aggressive than Revos. The AT3 might work but I can't find it in stock anywhere, and it costs about as much as a set of Duratracs anyway, so I might as well just get the Duratracs (or the new Adventures, those look pretty nice) in that case. I can get a set of 5 AT2s for <$1000 installed, whereas everything else mentioned is $1300+.

So then would you guys equate the AT2 snow performance as similar to the BFG TAKO? I thought the BFGs on my stock 92 XJ did great in the snow. I was up on I80 a couple of winters ago and drove it through 3' of unplowed snow on some on/off ramps and they handled great. A little squirrely but I'm not the best offroad driver, so I'm sure my skill played a part in that. To be fair, I haven't run a ton of tires through snow, so I don't have a lot of comparison. I do know the AT2s are snowflake rated.

I have had my BFG ATs for over two years now (30,000+miles).

We get a decent amount of snow here, and in the thicker deeper stuff, they do awesome, its when you get an inch or less and its slicky/icy tarmac that they can struggle a little

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Take a look at Hercules Tire as well

They have a lot of LT offereings, all made by Cooper.

They are generally a little cheaper

WreckDiver1321 has a pair of the terratrac DT on his frontier and seems to like them

The Terratrac AT2 as well as the Terratrac R/S look nice also

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I'm surprised to hear the winter performance gripes- A friend has them on both his Silverado and Xterra- swears by them for winter driving. A little loud otherwise, and definitely run on the large end, size wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles