Why all the hi-lift hate? Is there an alternative?

stioc

Expedition Leader
What kind of chain do I need to winch? Local place sells 3/8 g70 for $60 for 15 feet. Madness!

Yeah high grade chains are a bit pricey but I was able to find 3/8 g70 14ft chain on Amazon for $41 with Prime shipping. I think the company is called Forney's or something. I consider having a 14-20ft chain a good thing to have even if you have an electric winch to use when anchoring off of a large rock. You'll also want the Hi-Lift Off Road kit for it winching ($60) and optional but recommended 25-40ft synthetic line extension (I have 1/4" 40ft Amsteel blue, $60) to reach an anchor further out. Don't forget a couple of 3/4 shackles too.

If you haven't already get the Getting Unstuck DVD by Bill Burke, it covers hi-lift quite a bit including winching with it. Last but not least it's a tool, just like a swiss army knife or a table saw, if you don't know proper use and aren't careful it has the potential to hurt you pretty badly. You don't have to be afraid of it to the point where you won't even go near it, just get familiar with the proper use procedure and respect it. It's probably the last tool I would reach for because it's not the easiest option and requires time and physical effort but it can do what a lot of other tools can't do. I carry a bottle jack too but it can't replace the hi-lift as a recovery tool. If you drop one side of the truck in a rut and you're resting on the slider/rocker panel a hi-lift is probably the only option.

fireball

Explorer
Off-topic, but still a highlift question. I got mine less than 30 days ago. Already starting to rust, no use at all just a decoration on the back of my bumper so far.

Is this to be expected? I purchased through Amazon so they will replace for free but don't want to deal with packing shipping etc. if this is par for the course.

Thoughts?

etuqe3u2.jpg

u4a9uped.jpg

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Normal if left exposed to the elements. It will get far worse if you leave it out unprotected. Worse meaning more than just the way it looks.

redneck44

Adventurer
Off-topic, but still a highlift question. I got mine less than 30 days ago. Already starting to rust, no use at all just a decoration on the back of my bumper so far.

Is this to be expected? I purchased through Amazon so they will replace for free but don't want to deal with packing shipping etc. if this is par for the course.

Thoughts?

etuqe3u2.jpg

u4a9uped.jpg

Mine was the same, and even more rusty now. Due to the little use I expect to give it, I bolted the I-beam and handle outside and put the rest under the seat (110 Defender) with the rest of my HiLift recovery kit, all covered with a squirt of Boeshield T9.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Normal if left exposed to the elements. It will get far worse if you leave it out unprotected. Worse meaning more than just the way it looks.

x2. Keep it clean/maintained or store it inside a dry environment... the only thing more dangerous than a Hi-Lift Jack, is a dirty Hi-Lift Jack.

fireball

Explorer
Pretty disappointing for only 30 days old. Means the powder coat is pretty much worthless....

Guess it'll have to stay in the garage.

cruiseroutfit

Pretty disappointing for only 30 days old. Means the powder coat is pretty much worthless....

I don't know that I would offer such a grim assessment. Dings, knocks and any of the sliding surfaces are going to wear through the powder-coat and in wet/salty environs... rust, fact of life... climb under any 4x4 that is used in these climates and Amazon will be glad they don't sell them ;)

Honestly if your Hi-Lift must be stored on the exterior of a vehicle in the elements (and on a daily driver) than I think it should come off and be stored in the garage when your not in trip mode. Same with other items that make no sense beyond vanity to have attached i.e. fuel/water cans, Pelican cases on the roof and off-road trailers :D

Kmrtnsn

Explorer

You live in a high moisture area where they use road salt on the roads in the winter and your surprised by surface corrosion? Frankly, your expectations are a bit divorced from reality. I spent several years of my early life, embarked aboard ships. We had to constantly take preventative measures with all of our equipment that was exposed to the elements to prevent corrosion, your Hi-Lift is no different. Keeping a light film of a corrosion preventative/lubricant will go a long way in preserving the functionality and appearance.

Last edited:

keezer37

Explorer
That jack looks pristine to me, for a jack. But I remember bumper jacks so. It's all coming off the I beam rails soon enough too. Looks like it could use a bit of grease at key points. An acid brush comes in handy.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
That jack looks pristine to me, for a jack. But I remember bumper jacks so. It's all coming off the I beam rails soon enough too. Looks like it could use a bit of grease at key points. An acid brush comes in handy.

Seriously! I think ever car I ever got with a bumper jack, I'm pretty sure that they all came rusted from the factory, and those were all stored in the trunk!!

quickfarms

Adventurer
My high-lift is over 20 years old and it still works great but it looks kind of worn in certain areas. The paint is worn off of the beam and the handle is very chipped.

You need to respect it like any other jack or lifting device and use jack stands or cribbing to secure the load.

Tread it with caution like old bumper jacks and watch for it tiling to the side.

Never ever let go of the handle or it will bite you.

Listed and watch the pins work. If they are not moving correctly you need to rectify the issue, some WD-40 usually does the trick.

Mine is stored inside the garage or in the truck under the shell or lid, depending on which truck. It is never out in the weather.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of those bemoaning the dangers of the Hi-Lift jack never had a car or truck with a bumper jack. Can a Hi-Lift be dangerous? Sure, anything mis-used can be dangerous but a Hi-Lift is no more dangerous than a bottle jack. Seriously? I've seen some dumb-*** stuff attempted with bottle jacks. There is a great thread here about some good kit for bottle jacks. There is also a ton of good kit out on the market that makes great use of the flexibility and utility of the Hi-Lift jack.

cruiseroutfit

...but a Hi-Lift is no more dangerous than a bottle jack. Seriously? I've seen some dumb-*** stuff attempted with bottle jacks...

I disagree, not to say both can't be used in a super ridiculous and super unsafe fashion but the Hi-Lift design (which is also it's benefit) and inherent use (again which is also its feature) does make it far more dangerous than a traditional bottle jack when you compare apples to apples. I think the end answer is to have both available and use them where appropriate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles