Mauka2Makai - Our Quest Begins...An 80 Series Adventure

rickashay

Explorer
Thanks bud. I've got around 6000 miles or so, maybe a little more on the ST Maxxx. So far no significant audible increase in tire noise and 80 percent of my driving is on the freeway. I'm no tire expert... it's my understanding though that tires with larger voids/treads... as they wear they get a bit louder. On a side note looking forward to seeing your upcoming Slee mods and sleeping platform.

Ok, so yours are still very fresh! haha My MTZ's got louder as well but I found the ST Maxx to be decently quiet initially, and I cant say that's the case now. Oh well, still a great tire and I'm expecting to get 75,000kms out of this set. (98% highway driving too...)

Thanks! The sleeping platform is a ways out. I've got a couple sketches and versions and just need to figure out if I want it to flip open for sleeping or be "open" all the time. One of these days I'll post my sketches and get some feedback from the overland experts on here, I'm sure someone will point something out that I wont think of, no matter how much I try to plan ahead! My vehicle gets back from LineX on Tuesday, and next time I'm home I'll be throwing the Slee goodies on, very excited!

Cheers
Addison

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Ok, so yours are still very fresh! haha My MTZ's got louder as well but I found the ST Maxx to be decently quiet initially, and I cant say that's the case now. Oh well, still a great tire and I'm expecting to get 75,000kms out of this set. (98% highway driving too...)

Thanks! The sleeping platform is a ways out. I've got a couple sketches and versions and just need to figure out if I want it to flip open for sleeping or be "open" all the time. One of these days I'll post my sketches and get some feedback from the overland experts on here, I'm sure someone will point something out that I wont think of, no matter how much I try to plan ahead! My vehicle gets back from LineX on Tuesday, and next time I'm home I'll be throwing the Slee goodies on, very excited!

Cheers
Addison

Oh great... A big part of the reason I sold the Toyos was cause they were increasingly getting louder and were becoming unbearable for my wife, she has very sensitive hearing. The ST Maxx are significantly quieter, so I hope that even as they get louder they won't be as loud as the Toyos were. I must emphasize that these are still my most favorite tire I've ran thus far. The highway handling and offroad traction have been phenomenal.
I've strayed from the idea of a platform with drawers to a vision of a cargo deck with aircraft tie down tracks. Primarily due to cost, constant additional weight, and that a platform would not allow enough clearance for sleeping between it and the cargo barrier. I'm always in awe of the creativity and functionality that goes into DIY systems. I'm sure you'll set the bar high.
Cheers
D

Last edited:

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I am really digging the new rack and awning set up. Very clean and classy yet super functional. The ladder on the hatch is a nice touch, is that a Hannibal also? As always keep up the good work!:sombrero:

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I am really digging the new rack and awning set up. Very clean and classy yet super functional. The ladder on the hatch is a nice touch, is that a Hannibal also? As always keep up the good work!:sombrero:

Thanks bud... The ladder is a JDM copy maybe, not sure. Did a couple small mods to it and painted. Can't believe how light weight it is, the hatch doesn't even notice.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Wow that's a nice awning! Those pics look like the marina area near 2nd street in LB? Never seen it that empty though.

ab1985

Explorer
How is the IBS kit holding up? I've had the same one in a box since the group buy a couple years back. I finally ordered the wiper reservoir relo bracket and battery tray from Slee last week. I've got the same Sears DHP as my starting battery, but it's terrible for running my fridge so I was going with an Odyssey. There is a discussion now on mud about Odyssey's potentially being incompatible with the 80 charging system. Just wondering how things are holding up for you and what kind of use your system gets. Also, is that a Sears marine battery you're using as your auxiliary and are you happy with it?

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
For the record I have an Odyssey battery in my lexus for over 6 years with no problems, it should be good for 10 years time will tell...

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Wow that's a nice awning! Those pics look like the marina area near 2nd street in LB? Never seen it that empty though.

Thanks Russel... It's at the end of beach blvd. at the jetty and beach parking. At the end of the day there's usually not much going on, we'll watch the boats idle by and play on the rocks.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
How is the IBS kit holding up? I've had the same one in a box since the group buy a couple years back. I finally ordered the wiper reservoir relo bracket and battery tray from Slee last week. I've got the same Sears DHP as my starting battery, but it's terrible for running my fridge so I was going with an Odyssey. There is a discussion now on mud about Odyssey's potentially being incompatible with the 80 charging system. Just wondering how things are holding up for you and what kind of use your system gets. Also, is that a Sears marine battery you're using as your auxiliary and are you happy with it?

The IBS system has been flawless... only hickup has been me forgetting to crimp one wire during installation, but after superior customer service and hours of trouble shooting the initial problem was solved. From then to now... like I said, flawless. I'll be honest... right now I'm only using it for its dual battery purpose, I have yet to add a fuse block to the secondary battery for auxiliary power needs. I'm still working on where and what will best fit my needs as far as fuse block locations, 12v, usb, inverter... essentially I just need a little inspiration, motivation, and free time to get this completed. As far as my starting needs... I'm always comforted knowing that I have a second battery thats fully charged and ready... if for some reason my primary is drained. That is big comfort knowing this while your far from home. I have one Sears DHP 35 and one AZ as secondary, both are AGM. As funds permit I'll put the AZ into my wifes tacoma and get another Sears. Heard somewhere that both Sears DHP and Odyssey's are the same battery... not a 100% for sure. I use Sears for the reliability, reasonable price, and the ability to exchange/customer service if a problem arrises.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Death Valley... Snow, Sun, and Stars 11/22/2013

It had been nearly a year since my last venture through Death Valley, More than enough time to plan a trip to circumnavigate the entire park. My plans were to take the 395 to the 190 into Panamint Springs then to camp for the first night at Stovepipe Wells. That first night was an adventure in its self worthy of fulfilling all expectations of the next couple of days. Little did we know what was in store. BLIZZARD

Around midnight heading down to Panamint Springs... Full time 4 wheel drive on the 80 is God sent in conditions like these driving down the 190.

My buddy arrived around 3 am after driving the same route in his full time 4wd V8 4Runner. That morning we awoke to all of Panamint Springs snowed over in the distance and a constant drizzle in camp at Stovepipe Wells. Our plan for the day was to head to Eureka Dunes via Big Pine road, Steele pass, and camp at the lower springs. As with anything in life being flexible and fluid is always key to maintaining PMA... we stopped at Scotty's Castle to renew our annual passes and from there lets just say we were strongly advised not to traverse Steele Pass... ******... I guess our ID's that we had shown to renew our passes sparked such great concern to the rangers that we were strongly advised not to travel the trail due to weather and trail conditions and that if found crossing a closed federal sign we could face consequences that could jeopardize our "employment"... in a nut shell with out going into further detail. Anyhow with Steele Pass closed and verbally being told not to go that route we left and headed towards Ubehebe Crater.
New plan... Racetrack to Lippincott to Saline Valley and on to the Springs. FYI- Steele Pass at the time was closed by DV not because of snow, but due to flood damage of the trail from a couple of months earlier.

There was no snow at Scotty's or at Ubehebe Crater... heading into Racetrack Valley road.

Teakettle Junction

The Grandstand covered in snow

The Racetrack Playa covered in snow. I'll say it again... a surreal sight. Death Valley Race Track Playa covered in snow? It's blowing my mind!

Yes... by now we have come to terms that the Lippincott would be a no go. For a brief second I pondered the thought of walking down to carve a trail, then I came to my senses... we decided to just spend a bit more time enjoying the moment.

With 2-3 ft. of snow at Homesteak Camp we decided to leave and head towards the dunes... yes it was a long washboard drive with half of the route in the dark.

Stay tuned for Eureka Dunes and Geologist Cabin.

fuzcao

hey Muaka2Makai ..,, Congrats!!! very nice truck!! and very nice build up!!!

I was in shock yesterday! reading all the post from the beginning...!!!

Great thread. One day I hope to do some exploring in Death Valley. Could you give a bit of an update on your tires since you've had 'em for a bit longer and now have experienced some snow. I've been eying the ST Maxx's to maybe replace my STT's.

Thanks,
Pete

Maverick1701

Adventurer
IMG_1568.jpg

Made an improvised trap to catch and distract those wasps, felt bad the next morning as my three traps were completely full and the wasps were still out in full force. :Wow1:

holy cow!!!! I don't play nice with wasps (allergic) and that pic makes my skin crawl....

stioc

Expedition Leader
Wow, what a great adventure and seeing DV covered in snow is incredible!

The 80 in that last pic looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94