Tips for Stealth Overnight Parking and Building a Stealth Vehicle

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I get tired of paying $15-$25 for an outhouse and a place to park. We like to camp a few miles away from developed national forest campgrounds. There always seems to be a road that wonders away from the campground. These places often have a fire ring and a nice level place to park. We deploy our folding bed and go to sleep.

8647440918_c4a750d245_c.jpg

jjohnny350

Adventurer
Yeah Wanderer, where are you? I have really enjoyed this thread, you're motivating a lot of to get out and travel more. It makes me think of more ways to go more places and try to fit it into my more traditional lifestyle. I want to go places more and you have a lot of good ideas. Thank you for all of your posts, keep em coming.

Chuck59

Observer
Interesting concept. My first thought is that type of life would be sad for me. My family / Grandchildren time is so critical to my life and personal peace.

Outback

Explorer
Who are we to judge how someone chooses to travel or stay when they go on an adventure? Is this really any diffrent then what "we" do? His Expedition rig is set up as he needs it. Sure it doesnt have a roof top tent. But then again there are tons of expedition rigs that dont. In fact its not the rig that makes the Expedition or adventure its getting there and "being" there that makes they adventure. There is a German couple who are travelling all around the world in a big yellow Mecedes benz 2wd drive station wagon. I dare say they have trully been on more of an Expedition than 99.9% of us with our fancy kitted out Range Rovers or Toyota Land Cruisers that cost in excess of 100K. To each his own. At least he is getting out there and seeing the world. I hope the WANDERER checks back in with us. I enjoy his posts.

Chuck59

Observer
Who are we to judge how someone chooses to travel or stay when they go on an adventure? Is this really any diffrent then what "we" do? His Expedition rig is set up as he needs it. Sure it doesnt have a roof top tent. But then again there are tons of expedition rigs that dont. In fact its not the rig that makes the Expedition or adventure its getting there and "being" there that makes they adventure. There is a German couple who are travelling all around the world in a big yellow Mecedes benz 2wd drive station wagon. I dare say they have trully been on more of an Expedition than 99.9% of us with our fancy kitted out Range Rovers or Toyota Land Cruisers that cost in excess of 100K. To each his own. At least he is getting out there and seeing the world. I hope the WANDERER checks back in with us. I enjoy his posts.

Not sure anybody was " Judging" negatively. Just posting thoughts on this lifestyle and our individual personal lifestyle choices. Whether it would work for us or not. To each their own dude. No negative judgements, even it doesn't work for everybody....right?

Or am I being "judged" for saying it wouldn't work for me or my family?

DAV!D

Adventurer
I know what you mean. I would love to find a way to tie my years of experience in technology, life and hard knocks into a living that I could do that allowed me to stay on the road and allowed me to earn a living also. I would love to go anywhere in the world. Just me, so any adventure would be fine with me.

I had considered working as a tech doing system integrations/installations worldwide, you know, like new start-up sites. I was thinking of work where you go to a site, install the hardware, setup the software, train the users and then move on to the next site anywhere in the world. I have worked for companies like Turner Broadcasting (CNN), Carnival Cruise Lines, GM and others, but I haven't been able to find an assignment where they would allow me to do short term integration installations and still live free away from an office cubical.

Maybe some day I will, but until then I will just follow the sun as a free spirit...

I hope you find what you are looking for. In fact, I hope everyone does.

Be careful with the storm buddy. It's in the 70's right now here in Florida. *smile*

I hope to see you on the the road some day my friend.

Take care.

You said in your previous post, that you worked as a coder.. You have the perfect type of skills to work from the road. Start making mobile apps, or code some sort of webmaster tools. Go hang out on some webmaster boards, there are always people looking for a good coder.

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a vanagon to travel around. Mine will be less stealth as I'll have solar panels on the roof, but in my experience I found if you keep moving, stealth isn't as big of an issue you just have to be smart about where you park.

Outback

Explorer
70% of communication is visual. Im behind a computer screen reading what is being and has been said. It looked to me that some people were being pretty judgmental in there posts. I did not point you out or anyone out for that matter. Just reminding everyone that to each his own. The Wanderer hasnt posted in a long time and I feel (just a personal feeling) that maybe he was turned off by some of the posts

southpier

Expedition Leader
70% of communication is visual. Im behind a computer screen reading what is being and has been said. It looked to me that some people were being pretty judgmental in there posts. I did not point you out or anyone out for that matter. Just reminding everyone that to each his own. The Wanderer hasnt posted in a long time and I feel (just a personal feeling) that maybe he was turned off by some of the posts

there's certainly a plethora of information on this site. there's also an abundance of fluff and merchandising. it takes time & energy to wade through it all. maybe the Wanderer is out, well, wandering, instead.

brevity_thing

you know, the Dude abides
The answer is nothing. It gets about 12 mpg.

Here is what many cannot handle. I have just changed my lifestyle to fit the truck! I now drive much less miles per day, maybe 50-100 miles a day. Most people need to run to some camping place on a holiday weekend and then run home driving 100s of miles each way.

Yuck! This truck sucks doing that! I drive until I get tired or bored. I then stop and eat or take a nap. I then drive a little farther or not. Whatever I feel like. I have NO destination in mind. So, I save on fuel by driving much less and sitting longer. Thus the benefit of stealth camping. I am not heading for some destination.

That is why many people would hate this lifestyle and this truck. Change your lifestyle or get a different truck.

Just my thoughts.

Peace

This thread rocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles