Project "Great Basin G"

I was able to make a small modification today which took all of 10 minutes and most of that was opening the box. I changed from the clear turn signal lenses to the amber lenses. I like the look of the amber lenses, it makes it look less urbanized.

Amber Lights.jpg

traveller09

I was able to make a small modification today which took all of 10 minutes and most of that was opening the box. I changed from the clear turn signal lenses to the amber lenses. I like the look of the amber lenses, it makes it look less urbanized.

View attachment 193316

Looks great. You know what I find amusing. In the G community changing out clear turn signals for amber is a common modification. When I was a little more active in the 911 community the common mod, at least with 993’s, was to change out the amber turn signals and put the European clear lenses on. Maybe it is just our need to tinker! Again looks great I love what you have done to it.

Scott Brady

Founder
I like! Looking forward to finishing mine early next year

attachment.php

I think we all have a need to tinker here and there. I already have a few more things I want to do. Just cheap, inexpensive touches that make a big difference. I plan to spray the mirrors with matte black plasti-dip. My neighbor is making some decals for the wind deflector and the rear lockable tire cover. The Wind deflector will say "Mercedes" while the tire cover will just have a large Mercedes symbol. That should do for now. I also plan to get a wrap made for the bottom 6" that says "G-WAGON"

I can't spend too much time on mods, I need to get out and enjoy it.

It supposed to be in the 70's this weekend here in Northern Utah so I plan to get the kids and go camping. The wife said she is out because she is 5 months pregnant. Now I just need to find a spot to go explore which should not be hard. I think we will check out the west desert.

swb

Observer
I can't spend too much time on mods, I need to get out and enjoy it.

Thats what I said, then I went out and got my most extravagent :yikes: accessory and the ultimate "truck look" modification, W461 PUR mirrors. Will be fitting them next week (waiting for a rivnut tool to arrive)

Thats what I said, then I went out and got my most extravagent :yikes: accessory and the ultimate "truck look" modification, W461 PUR mirrors. Will be fitting them next week (waiting for a rivnut tool to arrive)

Let me know how this goes, I would like to add these to my G500 but it appears I would have to do some body work to get them to fit.

I headed out to the West Desert here in Utah yesterday and today. The kids and I had a great time. We camped at Simpson Springs which was an outpost for the Pony Express. We drove down some narrow trails and add some new pin stripes. I was able to score some 22 shells so we broke out the gun for kids. All in all we drove about 200 miles on dirt and had a great time. The temps were in the mid 70's and it felt fantastic.

As always I took my favorite cooking utensil, my Camp Chef Oven/Stove/Grill. It's soooo nice to have an oven out in the middle on nowhere. We had hot cider, peach pie, apple pie, Vermont white cheddar Mac-n-cheese and sausage egg and cheese croissants. We ate lie kings. I just love that little thing.

It's getting a little tight.

10638390793_8f2d3a09bd_b.jpg

Eating peach and apple pie off the Camp Chef.

10638171304_80da793d7c_b.jpg

Early mornings in the High Desert can be cold, but this morning was nice.

10638154604_88657b8421_b.jpg

Last edited:

cols110

Observer
Very nice mate, your Baja Rack is probably the neatest and least obtrusive rack I have seen, I currently have a Front Runner on my 110 which is a great rack but much more obtrusive than the Baja. For my 110 this is fine but I want something slimmer and closer to the body on my G55 and the Baja looks pretty close to perfect.

Do you notice much additional drag & noise with it fitted, the Front Runner on my 110 made a big difference in both departments which is OK as I only poke along fairly slowly but the G I like to be able to cruise quite a bit quicker without being overly burdened with wind noise.

Very nice mate, your Baja Rack is probably the neatest and least obtrusive rack I have seen, I currently have a Front Runner on my 110 which is a great rack but much more obtrusive than the Baja. For my 110 this is fine but I want something slimmer and closer to the body on my G55 and the Baja looks pretty close to perfect.

Do you notice much additional drag & noise with it fitted, the Front Runner on my 110 made a big difference in both departments which is OK as I only poke along fairly slowly but the G I like to be able to cruise quite a bit quicker without being overly burdened with wind noise.

I do notice additional wind noise with the Baja Rack and addition drag but it's not a big deal. I can still get up to speed with no issue, I can do 80-85 mph on the freeway with out pushing it. I still see a respectable 13-14 mpg in mixed driving conditions with the roof rack and tent. My biggest complaint about the Baja Rack is the lack of accessories available compared to front runner racks.

cols110

Observer
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes the FR racks do have a wide range of accessories, but to be honest I have not used any of them, I ended up making my own brackets for my roof tent & awning. The best part of the racks are the slotted cross runners which are fantastic for attaching anything as the bolt head slot straight in which does make life easy.

Importing a FR rack to Dubai is also much easier than getting a Baja rack from the States, but I do like the look of your Baja rack.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes the FR racks do have a wide range of accessories, but to be honest I have not used any of them, I ended up making my own brackets for my roof tent & awning. The best part of the racks are the slotted cross runners which are fantastic for attaching anything as the bolt head slot straight in which does make life easy.

Importing a FR rack to Dubai is also much easier than getting a Baja rack from the States, but I do like the look of your Baja rack.

I have liked it as well, I have used other products in the past from Defender but I like the Baja because it is all one piece and not a modular rack. That being said, I can understand why it would be a pain to import to Dubia, because it is huge. The only accessories I have is the awning mount and HiLift mount. The wind deflector is functional but flip it over and you can attach your own decal. I plan have a decal made the says "Mercedes" to keep is simple. The Baja rack does have accommodations to mount 4 light on the front and 2 lights on the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles