1991 Ford Camper Van / Excessive Sway above 60mph

TheRedDawn

Observer
Hi everyone.

I just sold my FWC and picked up a 1991 Ford Coachmen Camper Van. It's rear wheel drive, (sorry to ask a question here but I trust this group and have been a member for a long time. Please help me out). I'm hoping for some opinions on how to address the sway I experience at 60+ and in windy conditions.

Van: 1991 Ford Coachmen E250 / 44,000 miles
Stock suspension, (from what I can see)
Has a sway bar up front. Nothing in back
New tires with thicker sidewall, (I'm not with the van right now so I don't have the rating)

I can't decide between:
upgraded front sway bar
add a rear sway bar (if possible)
new shocks, (shocks are from 1991. there is no bouncy feeling)
Air Bags
or ?

Thanks for the help in this.
Matt

sambot

Observer
Shocks first

I'd put in good shocks first. Easiest to install, and likely the culprit. Bilsteins are considered a great upgrade.

Huffy

Observer
Try Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, yours are WORN out !, run tire air pressure as high as possible (without causing abnormal wear) , add rear sway bar, consider adjustable sway bar links both ends, remove unnecessary weight, especially stuff high up, stiffer springs, drive under 60!

TheRedDawn

Observer
after some additional research, I put on a Hellwig anti-sway bar from Summit Racing. Took about 2 hours, 1 man job. Got the van up to 75 without any real sway or bobble. Tracks straight down the road. Very happy with the results.

Garrett@Oscaro

after some additional research, I put on a Hellwig anti-sway bar from Summit Racing. Took about 2 hours, 1 man job. Got the van up to 75 without any real sway or bobble. Tracks straight down the road. Very happy with the results.

I did a Hellwig overload spring setup with similar results. They have some fantastic products.

Even though the sway bar helped, I'm still sure your shocks are gone. While the adjustable 9000's are nice, I've never never adjusted mine, as the soft setting is too soft, and the firm setting is too firm.

For the money, KYB's are the way to go.

Front: KG5406 | KYB KG5406 Shock Absorber

Rear: KG5421 | KYB KG5421 Shock Absorber

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles