Expeditions 7: Two Years Around the World on all Seven Continents.

Scott Brady

Founder
What I don't understand is why you guys did the first half of the trip mostly on the bitumen when you could have gone across the Plenty Hwy or the Simpson desert.

We only had six weeks in the country and the primary travel goal was the Canning Stock Route. We did use the Great Central Road, Plenty and others to avoid pavement. In addition, we had already explored big chunks of the Simpson and Flinders area on a previous trip.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've just found this and quickly looked at the Aussie section first. What I don't understand is why you guys did the first half of the trip mostly on the bitumen when you could have gone across the Plenty Hwy or the Simpson desert.

To echo Scott's reply. If your looking at the Google map on the E7 website, the route is slightly different. For example we took the Donahue & Plenty Hwy between Long Reach and Alice and return trip from Broome to Melbourne included the Tanami and Oodnadatta as well as some other minor routes.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Thanks for the response guys. You're forgiven :)

I only wish I could do half what you blokes are doing.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Why is it different?

We wanted to do more dirt and received a few great suggestions from the locals. I have never completed a trip on the exact route as intended. Local knowledge always has an influence, sometimes helping you avoid trouble, other times suggesting a wonderful alternative.

I remember our trip to the Arctic ocean with the Tacoma. We had originally only planned to travel the Mackenzie River to Tuk, but based on a local living in Inuvik, they recommended a trip along the Peel River, something I had never even seen documented. It ended up being the highlight of the adventure.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
We wanted to do more dirt and received a few great suggestions from the locals. I have never completed a trip on the exact route as intended. Local knowledge always has an influence, sometimes helping you avoid trouble, other times suggesting a wonderful alternative.

I remember our trip to the Arctic ocean with the Tacoma. We had originally only planned to travel the Mackenzie River to Tuk, but based on a local living in Inuvik, they recommended a trip along the Peel River, something I had never even seen documented. It ended up being the highlight of the adventure.

Had a few trips like that myself. The surprises are often the best parts!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

Hey Scott,

Do you have any details on that? I didn't know there were roads in along the Peel yet.
The Dempster is more or less my backyard these days, I'll be up that way on the weekend Moose hunting :)

-Dan

Scott Brady

Founder
Do you have any details on that? I didn't know there were roads in along the Peel yet.

We drove on the frozen Peel River. It was pretty difficult progress in places (they only plowed once in the season, so drifts built up and the ice had buckled), but an amazing experience.

http://www.overlandjournal.com/files/samples/overland_journal_arctic.pdf

Arctic_Ocean_Toyota_4.jpg

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Just finished reviewing the updated on the E7 webpage. Wonderful photography and updates. Just enough to leave you wanting more...

Scott Brady

Founder
Logistics for Antarctica are on full spin-cycle, and we are finalizing equipment lists and starting to test the equipment in the field before departure. Unfortunately, the details of conducting the trip often make it difficult to update the thread in real time, but I have copious notes, so look for more details as we get closer to leaving for Africa.

One of the interesting products we have elected to bring along is a new TextAnywhere unit, which uses the Iridium satellite constellation to send and receive 160 character-length messages. Outgoing messages can also include a geo tag for location. The unit creates a little wifi hotspot that you can connect to with just about any device, including an iPhone, laptop, iPad, etc.

I think this will be a pretty promising option for global travel, as communications are two-way, permitting incoming 160 character messages too.
1381759_10152307457858275_1749111547_n.jpg

http://textanywhere.ca/

Note: We have been paid nothing to use this unit. I just think it is worth mentioning. We will give a complete review at the end of the trip.

Scott Brady

Founder
We were able to send the first message successfully. The unit seems to be a little sensitive to low battery voltage. New batteries and the message sent immediately. A text can be such an efficient form of coms, allowing us to provide a status quickly while driving and keep going, knowing that the recipient will get the note. It also pulls down all of the incoming messages every time you connect.

I think this is going to be a pretty effect means of coms for me while remote, even after Antarctica

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I think this is going to be a pretty effect means of coms for me while remote, even after Antarctica

How's the satellite coverage over Antarctica?

Even up here at only ~60 degrees North our Spots, Sat phones and even Satellite TV can be painful.
Of course, all the dishes are pointed below the horizon!

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles