Rookies on the Rubicon

richjeeps

Eagle
Great write up! It brought back many memories of taking my CJ-5 on the Rubicon. If you are looking for a trail for next year....research Dusy Trail. You and your brother will love it. Email me if you need details.

Thanks again
Rich

jeremyk

Adventurer
Great write up! It brought back many memories of taking my CJ-5 on the Rubicon. If you are looking for a trail for next year....research Dusy Trail. You and your brother will love it. Email me if you need details.

Thanks again
Rich
Rich-

Funny that you would mention the Dusy-Ershim. My brother suggested that one a few days ago. I hear that it is very narrow tho.

What is required?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Rich-

Funny that you would mention the Dusy-Ershim. My brother suggested that one a few days ago. I hear that it is very narrow tho.

What is required?

Thanks,
Jeremy

I did the DE several times back in the 70s and it was not real difficult. But that was 40 years ago and I know it's much harder now. Bill Burke leads trips there but not on the Rubicon. Not sure why that is. I have been planning to sign on with Bill next time he runs it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jeremyk

Adventurer
I did the DE several times back in the 70s and it was not real difficult. But that was 40 years ago and I know it's much harder now. Bill Burke leads trips there but not on the Rubicon. Not sure why that is. I have been planning to sign on with Bill next time he runs it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Let's do it Ace!

richjeeps

Eagle
Rich-

What is required?

Thanks,
Jeremy

I haven't run the DE since the early 90's. My first time in the 80's I ran it with a stock suspension FJ-40 on 32in all-terrains no lockers and no armor. I had zero problems, just some scraps on the stock skip plate. I was solo on the first trip but saw modified CJ's running it. They seemed to have more problems than I did.

Later in the 90's I drove it in my CJ-5....again stock suspension but on 33's mud terrains, again no lockers and no armor. My buddy drove a long bed Toyota pickup and he scrapped his bed off trees in the first couple of miles. The short wheelbase definitely made a difference.

I ran it south to north each time. I hear different opinions and reports about the trail today. Some say it's not as challenging as the Rubicon but since it's 35miles long it feels just as difficult. I don't recall any huge obstacles or rocks like I remember on the Rubicon. The DE is narrow in places but nothing you and your brother can't handle. Take your time and enjoy the trail. I reserved at least 5 days but completed in 3 very long days on one trip.

Take your fishing gear. The trout in the lakes used to chase my spinners right up to the bank.

I also know of some great fishing spots, hidden lakes etc.

Call the rangers to get the latest info.

Feel free to ask for more details and I'll see what I can dig up.

On a personal note: I was born and raised in CA, attended Fresno State (Not far from DE) and still consider the Sierra's my home. Each year I make a long journey/adventure so maybe it's time to hit the DE again.

Cheers :beer:
Rich

grimbo

Explorer
Great write up, thanks for sharing.

Being Downunder trails like those in Moab, the Rubicon etc are these mystical destinations that fuel the fire whilst watching a video or reading a magazine. Your report was one of the few that actually conveyed a sense of adventure, fun and accomplishment. Too many times I've read or watched stories on the Rubicon that show pretty pictures, cool rigs but no real sense of the place.

Moab I've done and loved it, the Rubicon is still on the list but this has helped the itch somewhat.

No get out there and do the Dusy because I've only read about it or watched vids of it...

jeremyk

Adventurer
Great write up, thanks for sharing.

Being Downunder trails like those in Moab, the Rubicon etc are these mystical destinations that fuel the fire whilst watching a video or reading a magazine. Your report was one of the few that actually conveyed a sense of adventure, fun and accomplishment. Too many times I've read or watched stories on the Rubicon that show pretty pictures, cool rigs but no real sense of the place.

Moab I've done and loved it, the Rubicon is still on the list but this has helped the itch somewhat.

No get out there and do the Dusy because I've only read about it or watched vids of it...

Thanks for that!

This writing exercise was practice for a rather 'epic', but less technical, solo adventure I did in May. I drove from Big Water to Moab, 800 miles on the dirt. I've begun to write it up, but it was a 17 day long trip, so it will take a while. I want to have it done before I begin to post it up, so that it's more organized.

I think that we're moving closer to doing the D-E. I'd like to do one overland (2+ weeks) and one trail next year, and I'll write them up.

Very pleased that you enjoyed it

Jimmy Jack Claypool

Lurking in the shadows
Very nice write up. I have lived in northern CA (Sacramento) since 1988. Worked for West Coast Differentials for the last 13 years and just got to the Rubicon for the first time this year. Took the company Jeep. 12 JK on 37's.

It was a great experience and I will certainly go back at least one more time this year. I think the section right after Buck Island dam is pretty hairy.

Hope to see you guys up there someday

Jimmy

jeremyk

Adventurer
Very nice write up. I have lived in northern CA (Sacramento) since 1988. Worked for West Coast Differentials for the last 13 years and just got to the Rubicon for the first time this year. Took the company Jeep. 12 JK on 37's.

It was a great experience and I will certainly go back at least one more time this year. I think the section right after Buck Island dam is pretty hairy.

Hope to see you guys up there someday

Jimmy

Thanks! 37's would be nice...

We well back - we're hooked!

rickashay

Explorer
I first want to thank you for taking the time to write this awesome series of posts. Your words just provided me with goosebumps at the thought of adventure on the Rubicon Trail. Excellent writing and photos. It was so cool to be able to "feel" your adventure through the screen on my Mac, something often attempted but rarely executed.

Me and my father have just finished building up his "project" 01' Tacoma as we prep to do a father-son road trip this spring from Canada down to Moab, California, and Oregon. I'm now looking forward to it that much more.... Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles