Burzon's 2004 4Runner SE (V6) Overland Build

MBurzon

Photo/Video, Mechanic, Cook, Driver, First Aid
Current Photos:

^^^Not my spare! I gave it away to get my friend and his 1997 Land Cruiser home...:victory:

I am a fan of expedition portal. I'm using this thread to document my dedicated stewardship of a 2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition (V6). It's my hope that you, the reader, will find some piece of this thread helpful.

I purchased this 2004 4Runner Sport Edition V6 with 105,000 miles. I have always felt that my 1997 4Runner was one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned and I wanted to head back in that direction after experimenting with other platforms. I really like the 4th generation Toyota 4Runners for their proven high mileage reliability, relative affordability, generous towing capacity, creature comfort, and aftermarket support.

I found the truck at a small independent dealer in Albany, NY. If this was your truck, I want to know! It already had the following modifications:

-Shrockworks Front Bumper
-Shrockworks Sliders
-Custom Rear Tire/Gas Can Carrier
-OME 3” (Heavy) lift
-Spidertrax 1.25” Wheel Spacers
-1” Body Lift
-285 70 17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
-K&N Air Intake
-Magnaflow exhaust
-PIAA lights and Unity spot light
-diff breather extensions
-Ramsey 8k winch w/ synthetic line
-Interior LED's
-HID Headlight Conversion

I perceived it as a screaming deal so I bought it over the phone. It needed some immediate maintenance but overall I have been extremely pleased with my decision. After the purchase I've completed the following work:

-Replaced an odd Scion radio with a period correct factory Toyota radio with custom Auxillary input, and then replaced that radio with a Pioneer AVH-P3400BH set up with a back-up camera and bluetooth connectivity.
-iPad mount, Bad Elf GPS Unit for iPad2, Avenza Maps
-Cobra 75wxst CB and Firestik II
-5lb ABC fire extinguisher and mount
-Black Trasharoo
-Yakima Sparetime Bike Rack
-Toy Outfitters Lower Control Arms
-BFG KM2 255 80 17's & Treadwright 285/70/17 Warden A/T's
-RCI Front skid, transmission skid, t-case skid, and gas tank skid
-Dog Divider from Petco $$$ ;-)
-Wet Okole Front Seat Covers
-Scan Gauge II
-Warn M8000
-Change from 3.73 to 4.56 Gearing
-ARB Front and Rear Lockers and an ARB CMK 12 Compressor
-(2) JW Speaker Model 680 Lights, (2) JW Speaker 6150 fog lamps
-Weathertech Floor Mats
-Trailer Brake Controller

Maintenance (self performed) unless noted:

-June `13 – new rear brakes by dealer.
-June `13 – sunroof serviced.
-July `13 – Front and rear diff and transfer case oil changed.
-July `13 – new drivers front wheel bearing assembly (Fellsway Auto).
-July `13 – Full service on e-brake cable and shoe assembly.
-August `13 - Skid Plates re-tapped and tightened w/ new hardware.
-September `13 – replace bent LCA (Performance Unlimited)
-September `13 – repair front LED turn signal in Shrockworks bumper (Performance Unlimited)
-September `13 – strengthen Shrockworks bumper w/ 2 small welds to frame (was tilting down during winching – Performance Unlimited)
-November `13 - replaced drivers side CV & axle seals (Performance Unlimited)
-April `14 - replaced transmission filter and fluid.
-April `14 - replaced gas strut on spare tire carrier. (McMaster-Carr 100lb. gas strut)
-May `14 - replaced trailer wiring harness (4x4 Center, Burlington, VT)
-May `14 - replaced worn driver's inner and outer tie rod (4x4 Center, Burlington, VT)
-June '14 - replace spark plugs, alignment, new cabin air filter, dent repair, replace coolant temperature sensor, replace worn misc. A/C component and recharge system (Heritage Toyota, Burlington, VT)
-July '14 - replaced front driver and passenger brake calipers with OEM remans and replaced rotors and pads with Advance Auto Platinum product along with new metal brake lines.
-July '14 - Added Scangauge II.
-July '14 - sandblast and repaint Shrockworks front bumper and custom rear bumper. Repaint all skid plates with multiple brushed on coats of Rustoleum.
-December '14 - alignment and full detail (Heritage Toyota)
-January 15' - emergency brake serviced and new rear brake pads using advance auto platinum product.
-March 15' - new rear right brake caliper, CB antenna tuned, skid plate bolts all removed with new nut inserts welded in, front license plate permanently mounted with custom bracket, rear ARB repair work done under warranty (Rodney Brooks, Performance Unlimited)
-May 15' - rear sway bar bracket repair on passenger side and oil change (New England Automotive)
-June 15' - front sway bar reinstalled, repair catalytic converter shield, replace passenger side rear wheel sensor, replace downstream bank 2 O2 sensor, trailer brake controller.
-September 15' - front left wheel bearing, inner and outer seal, and CV axle. Two new inner tie rods. (High Country Auto Repair)
-November 15' - rear left brake caliper, rear left rotor, and new rear brake pads both sides.
-March 16' - Front Body Mount Chop, Trailer Harness Underbody Tuck (Performance Unlimited)
-April 16' - passenger CV, crankshaft pulley seal (New England Automotive).
-June 16' - replace failed oxygen sensor.
-July 16' - clean rear diff vent, steering shaft bearing, replace radiator, new driver's side outer tie rod, new lower control arms, new cam bolts, lower ball joints, alignment and inspection.
-December 16' - New Old Man Emu (Heavy) rear shocks and Camburg Upper Control Arms with Moog Ball Joints. Alignment tab repair and alignment.

This is a sensational 4Runner. The ATRAC front and rear traction control system is excellent and feels similar to having OEM Detroit TrueTracs front and rear. The ARB lockers help me get through the toughest trails with ease.

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited:

MBurzon

Dealer photos from original purchase:

IMG_5244_zps7da33363.jpg

IMG_5252_zps1ac2c5cc.jpg

IMG_5254_zps5196cabf.jpg

IMG_5265_zpsc21013be.jpg

Last edited:

MBurzon

2013 Vermont Overland Trophy Photos:

P8090515.jpg

P8090494.jpg

Last edited:

MBurzon

2013 Vermont Overland Trophy:

P8090507.jpg

Last edited:

MBurzon

Secret location in Plymouth, New Hampshire:

IMG_1475.jpg

I tried going with steel wheels - didn't like the look and sold them a few months later.

IMG_1487.jpg

Last edited:

MBurzon

Here is a short video of a steep, mucky, rocky drop (one of the challenge trails) from the Vermont Overland Trophy. I've never embedded video from Facebook so hopefully this works.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10201630225986909[/video]

Last edited:

Barrows

Adventurer
I am so ready to go back to VOT, your truck looks great and handled it all very well. It will do so much better with km2's next year. This generation 4runner has my interest lately, as does the second generation xterra. It must be nice to have such a well built vehicle after the jeeps. Don't get me wrong I still love mine....but it is a love /hate relationship.....:Mechanic:

MBurzon

Jeep's are great too. If I had the resources I'd have different rig for each day of the week.

I'm excited for the KM2's. I really liked the way the tall & skinny KM2's performed at the VOT event. The trucks running them made everything look graceful and easy. The 255 80 17 tire is about as tall as I can go, and I'm sure I will have some rubbing to work out.

Last edited:

MBurzon

Great build. Love the rear tire carrier, any more info on it?

I saved some major coin buying this truck used, but unfortunately I don't have the benefit of a full build history. I've been told it is a Crozhawk build. I think he is active on the Toyota120 forums. I will post some close up pics soon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles