Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Chazz Layne

Administrator
A rooftop tent on a Forester? Hmm...

With the lift and tires, the rear hatch sits comfortably over the 6-foot mark and makes for a comfortable awning. I'm thinking some magnets and canvas and it could be a convenient changing/shower room.

We were able to squeeze the full size spare (215/70R16) into the factory location by letting all the air out and jumping on it a few times. :)

justfred

Adventurer

Just barely fit—clearance between the taller 215/70R16 Yokohama Geolandars and the strut tower is so tight you can't squeeze a pencil between them. Fortunately, we've experienced no rubbing even with the steering at full lock. The new tires grip fiercely in dirt, and I've been told they are equally capable in sand and snow. They still inspire confidence on a twisty mountain two-lane and are only slightly more willing to break loose, a fair compromise.

Does this mean it would be impossible to put snow chains on? Would there be another mod that would allow snow chains if necessary, or would you need smaller tires?

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Good point, chains could very well be an issue. Unfortunately, the chains that came with the vehicle are too small for the new tire size so I don't have an answer for that one yet.

There is a spacer lift available from Subtle Solutions (I think?) that provides a little more clearance between the tire and the strut tower.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Now we are getting to some meat....
Great to see the Subi out in the dirt and actually doing something.
Looking forward to more trip reports and updates from a rig that anyone could afford and enjoy

E.J.

Explorer
The Subtle Solutions spacer goes on top of the strut and wont help with spring perch clearance. Some folks do a strut bottom lift but it looks pretty sketchy...
33478d1320458209-massive-lift-forester-strut-bottom-lift.jpg

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Eww, yeah... I would sooner take a hammer to it. :eek:

I'm curious to see if chains are going to be that big of a concern this winter. I've heard good things about the Geolandars and snow/ice.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Subarus dont need chains for snow and ice.

I run studded Hankook Zovac winter treads in the winter.

Damn thing is like a snow-mobile. :ylsmoke:

For tire clearance you can always look into higher offset wheels team dynamics makes a +15 15x7 and i am sure there are others, (the guys by me tried basset but had bad luck with the lug drilling)

Chazz Layne

Administrator
About half way across the middle of nowhere on its recent Utah adventure, the motor started clacking. This was not the familiar clacking that came up the last couple times bearings led to rebuilds, but much louder and very clearly from near the number 4 cylinder. Under the direction of Dave over at AT, I popped off the driver's side valve cover to find this:

The rear of 4 bolts that hold it in place had worked loose, and at some point the rocker shaft snapped. Fortunately, Brian never tossed out the heads from the car's very first motor, and its rocker shaft was still in great shape. In hindsight, I should have double-checked the bolts while we were in there rebuilding the motor, instead of just assuming they were good since we hadn't touched them.

While the problems can be frustrating, I'm beginning to become quite fond of the little car and its incredibly easy to work on design. Now that I've done it once, the job could easily be done in the field in less than an hour. So far all of the repair/upgrade tasks have been equally simple to perform—even the rebuild of the motor wasn't all that difficult—a good characteristic to have on a vehicle headed into the back country.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
another 2.5 failure.

How many is that just in this very thread? :snorkel:

Ditch that 2.5 in favor of a EJ22 and you will be much better off.

brum

For tire clearance you can always look into higher offset wheels team dynamics makes a +15 15x7 and i am sure there are others, (the guys by me tried basset but had bad luck with the lug drilling)

It's actually the opposite. You would want a lower offset to push the wheel away from the strut. THat OEM wheel is about +53. Somewhere in the range of +35-42 would be good on a similar-width wheel

Honestly the easiest thing to do would be some 10mm wheel spacers. Might need to get extended studs though which aren't that cheap.

Cool Forester though. Here's my brothers bugeye wagon I outfitted similarly.

2013-03-21_20-29-54_214_zpsee44b90f.jpg

1" Homemade HDPE spacers
Grabber 215/65/16 on stock wheels.
APS turboback and a mild tune.
He definitely needs some Team Dynamics or some of those new Sparco "rally" wheels.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I like the wheels, but then anything is better than the silver steelies. :)

NO MORE LAWNMOWER! Got the valves all dialed in today. Most of them were off by about four times the gap they should have had. While I was at it I also double-checked the rocker shaft on the opposite side from the one that broke—sure enough, 3 of 4 bolts were way loose. The car runs smooth and quiet now.

It's actually the opposite. You would want a lower offset to push the wheel away from the strut. THat OEM wheel is about +53. Somewhere in the range of +35-42 would be good on a similar-width wheel

Honestly the easiest thing to do would be some 10mm wheel spacers. Might need to get extended studs though which aren't that cheap.

Cool Forester though. Here's my brothers bugeye wagon I outfitted similarly.

View attachment 181413

1" Homemade HDPE spacers
Grabber 215/65/16 on stock wheels.
APS turboback and a mild tune.
He definitely needs some Team Dynamics or some of those new Sparco "rally" wheels.

LOL that's what I meant to type, I feel retarded, I personally am not a huge fan of spacers but they would work just as well

That bugeye looks prety boss as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles