Best balance of mileage and capability?

Merkin

Hello all.

I am the owner of a subaru outback, which I have loved, but the time has come for me to start thinking about an upgrade to something with better off road capability. I have been spoiled by getting 30 mpg, however. Hence, I'm trying to figure out what vehicle would give me the best balance between economy and capability. So far, it looks like an 01-04 double cab tacoma would be my best bet at around 22 mpg with good off road ability and enough space for 4 people and gear. What other vehicles should be on my short list?

Thanks.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel with QD2 4x4 system...front and rear electronic lockers, V6 diesel engine, 4LO, ifs and there are options to lift. But with the QD2 in stock form, other than being a little low it will go far more places than your Outback.

There are reliable engine tunes that will push fuel economy above 24mpgs fully loaded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
In my 2004 Ram 2500 Hemi I have found that 55mph on the highway is the sweet spot for power and gas mileage. I'm slow enough that I get better mileage yet fast enough that I have momentum to make it up hills. The difference between 55 and 70 is about 1 mile per gallon, and I estimate that by driving slower I am getting 3 gallons of gas basically for free out of every tank I go through. Which ever vehicle you end up getting, you can hypermile it by just adjusting your driving habits.

jluck

Adventurer
Hello all.

I am the owner of a subaru outback, which I have loved, but the time has come for me to start thinking about an upgrade to something with better off road capability. I have been spoiled by getting 30 mpg, however. Hence, I'm trying to figure out what vehicle would give me the best balance between economy and capability. So far, it looks like an 01-04 double cab tacoma would be my best bet at around 22 mpg with good off road ability and enough space for 4 people and gear. What other vehicles should be on my short list?

Thanks.
I would really research the Toyota MPG. I don't think you will see 22 from a double cab. I would bet closer to 17 unless it's bone stock, then maybe 19?. Lots of people seem to have trouble calculating and reporting honest MPG but maybe some will chime in here.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Check out The Chevy Trailblazer and the Ford Explorer (pre 2010 vehicles). Both are plentiful and underrated off road vehicles. You can add on a 2~3" lift and get a lot of truck for not a lot. Ok it isn't expo cool Toyotas and Land Rovers, but they will get the job done.

Saw a 2004 Explorer on the trail couple months back. Had a 3" lift. Despite having independent suspension on all four corners, it performed extremely well.

That said, Chevy Tahoes and 1/2 crew cab trucks bring the win. You can kiss MPG with a 2 in the front but you'll get everything you ever want. Within this category, also look at the Toyota Sequioa. Friggen thing is cavernous. Only issue with this class of vehicle is they are large so if you get into some tight areas, you'll have problems. Also break over can be an issue. However if you are just cruising forest roads and whatnot, they are hard to beat. Also typically these vehicles are extremely durable. Tahoes friggen last for 250k all day. Same with the toyotas. GREAT everyday vehicles assuming you don't live in town like ATL with tiny roads, tiny parking spots, and tiny parking decks.

If you have ~$30k to blow, then definitely start looking at Lexus GX470 or a Land Rover LR3 (maybe a high mileage first year LR4 for that price). Both will bring all kinds of Win to your life and a decent one can be had for under $30k...but above $20k.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I would really research the Toyota MPG. I don't think you will see 22 from a double cab. I would bet closer to 17 unless it's bone stock, then maybe 19?. Lots of people seem to have trouble calculating and reporting honest MPG but maybe some will chime in here.

This is the only reason I will not get into a Tacoma....mileage loaded will not compare to a diesel loaded.

sourdough

Adventurer
I had a bought small new '02 Taco prerunner(2wd), reg. cab. 2.7,auto.,stock size tires,3.90 axle,alum. shell. Drove it 157,000 mi. and at 55 mph never got over 22 MPG hiway. 18/19 was comon at 65MPH. I got 13 MPG towing a small loaded U-Haul trailer. It was stock, well cared for(syn. lub.), very reliable but never got good fuel economy. I can get 20 MPG in my bought used roomy '03 Tundra 4.7 4x4 limited 4.10 axle ,canopy. 17/18 at 65mph is more comon. 15 with a FWC shell at 60 MPH. Got 12 towing large overloaded U-haul trailer. Same route as towing with the Taco. The Taco struggled and the Tundra cruised. I wish I knew then, what I know now. The difference has been comfort, with a higher entry cost.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Yeah,I get better than a friend with a 2012 V6 Tacoma access cab w/Four Wheel camper. Both manuals.

Merkin

I have a really light foot. I tend to get 2-4 mpg better than the average person out of a vehicle. I have seen a lot of 19 mpg reports, hence the 22.

jluck

Adventurer
I have a really light foot. I tend to get 2-4 mpg better than the average person out of a vehicle. I have seen a lot of 19 mpg reports, hence the 22.

Keep in mind. People lie (er...embellish) about mileage more than any other things IMO. Ever hear of the one ton crew cab 4x4 diesel getting "29 MPG"?.
I drive for mileage too, I never seem to get to the hige end of "reported fuel mileage"
YMMV (literally).

Your mind may have been made up when you started this thread. Good luck Toyota makes great rigs.

Merkin

Keep in mind. People lie (er...embellish) about mileage more than any other things IMO. Ever hear of the one ton crew cab 4x4 diesel getting "29 MPG"?.
I drive for mileage too, I never seem to get to the hige end of "reported fuel mileage"
YMMV (literally).

Your mind may have been made up when you started this thread. Good luck Toyota makes great rigs.

It may very well have been, but i just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything. I really wish i had the wherewithal to import something 25 years old and diesel from overseas, but alas...

LR Max

Local Oaf
LOL on the diesel 3/4 ton truck getting 29 mpg. Of course everyone knows that CTDs with the manuals can do that :elkgrin:

I would almost avoid Tacomas. You can get more truck for your money with other brands. Step up to a 1/2 ton. People think tacomas (and diesel cars) are worth their weight in gold.

However, a 1/2 ton chevy or Ford....is a run of the mill 1/2 ton. It works. Isn't all "expedition" like a Toyota but as said before, if you aren't going full retard, it'll work just as good and be awesome on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles