Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nicely done!

Kirk, I'm not sure if this is 'easier' as it only took myself and 2 others a day to raise the tank above the frame rails (w/ a 2" body lift) for 2 rigs. This included welding on the new mount locations. We cut the old mounts up and attached them above.

Nicely done!

Kirk, I'm not sure if this is 'easier' as it only took myself and 2 others a day to raise the tank above the frame rails (w/ a 2" body lift) for 2 rigs. This included welding on the new mount locations. We cut the old mounts up and attached them above.

Yeah, cutting the chassis like that is certainly unappealing... to me at least.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Yeah, cutting the chassis like that is certainly unappealing... to me at least.

I did my gas tank lift much like Ray's by moving the tank up on top of the rails, That's a good alternative if you don't like the idea of cutting your frame. I've done the frame cut and lift as well though too.

MontyMcV

Observer
Another option that gets a little less lift on the tank is to cut the mounts off, trim them down as much as you can, and reweld to the under frame. I did that with the SWB for about an inch of raised height. I did it at first with a 2" BL. Later cut the BL down to 1" and was glad the tank was underneath as it still cleared the cargo floor okay.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Fiddled a little bit with the mounts today.

Bought 3/16' gauge plate from local metal supply store.

Mocked up the mounts from cardboard.

Traced over onto plate and went at it with an angle grinder. This is where I wish I had a plasma cutter.

Getting there

nckwltn

Explorer
is it capped off in the front? I'm wondering if those should have some kind of weep hole to allow for some draining should water get inside.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
The frames are not capped off from factory. As a matter of fact when I was cutting the frame I had a ton of rocks and sand fall out which prolly got there from all the river crossings.

nckwltn

Explorer
As a matter of fact when I was cutting the frame I had a ton of rocks and sand fall out which prolly got there from all the river crossings.

HA! I think I remember seeing some photos of the back end of your rig in the drink well up into the spare tire. Makes me think that capping at the front, and then weep hole in the back would allow for draining, but not too much water build up. Just be sure to park on an incline after a crossing.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Im no Jesse James when it comes to welding but this will do.

Later capped them off, cleaned it all up, painted. Gas tank next.

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Over the weekend wrapped things up with the project.

Once the frame was done, it was on to the tank mounts. Shortened the front mounts by taking out about 3.5 inches.

The rear mount was shortened by an inch or so.

Put everything back on. Over all very happy with the results. Approach angle is much better. Total tank lift in the back is at around 4.5 inches. It now sits almost flush again the rear floor. Now back to full fuel capacity and a working gauge. Yay!

No have figure out something cool with the exhaust pipe. Maybe side mount exhaust??

VanHans

Very nicely done. I have to admit I was skeptical when I saw you start this, but have been following the progress with growing interest. And now seeing the finished result, very impressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles