REI new return policy

madmax718

Explorer
Satisfaction is guarenteed for 1 year. Defects are taken care of for life. Thats good enough for me.

Heck, I had a 7 year old pair of timberlands. Timberlands have lifetime warranties. I had only worn them 7, 8 times the most. the leather looked new, the sole looked new. The stuff inbetween the sole and leather dried and cracked apart. that is not abuse! that is defect.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Satisfaction is guarenteed for 1 year. Defects are taken care of for life. Thats good enough for me.

Heck, I had a 7 year old pair of timberlands. Timberlands have lifetime warranties. I had only worn them 7, 8 times the most. the leather looked new, the sole looked new. The stuff inbetween the sole and leather dried and cracked apart. that is not abuse! that is defect.

my views are that is more a timberland thing than a REI thing though :)

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Crap I have an old compass that was used maybe once but has been in a pack for a long time. Checked it recently and it was out of fluid with no way to replenish it.

luk4mud

Explorer
Revised policy still seems fair. I really try to limit my purchases at REI because of their politics but the return policy does suck me in from time to time.

Token

Explorer
I really try to limit my purchases at REI because of their politics

Exactly... REI is so anti-OHV it's not even funny.. Any company that has such open support for the Sierra Club and the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance will never see a dime of my money..

Seems like several of the big outdoor shops are right there in the same boat with them. Cabela's, even though they sell a good bit of ATV stuff, are still staunch supporters of Sierra Club, Trout Unlimited and several other organizations that have been responsible for the closure of thousands of miles of back country roads and trails.

Only one of the large stores I know of that has slammed the door on them and told them to feel free to exit and the next the bus stop is Bass Pro.. The local store here in Memphis even gave the local chapter of the Sierra Club the boot out the front door and told them they were not welcome back in the store when they found they were using the store to gather names for a petition on the one of the recent land grab proposals out west..

Anyroads.. Watch who you given your money to.. You may find that you're doing a grand job of supporting the folks that are trying to take away what little rights we have to vehicular overland expedition and exploration.. Kinda like drinking poison and expecting someone else to get sick there ain't it..??

Woods

Explorer
Thanks for the word on Bass Pro.

I like the analogy.

Anyroads.. Watch who you given your money to.. You may find that you're doing a grand job of supporting the folks that are trying to take away what little rights we have to vehicular overland expedition and exploration.. Kinda like drinking poison and expecting someone else to get sick there ain't it..??

mike r

Adventurer
I just hiked up south sister and saw a guy with tags on his pack, i kinda joked by saying "nice new pack you got" and his reply was "im taking it back tomorrow, cheaper than hiring one"..

jrfromafar

Adventurer
I just hiked up south sister and saw a guy with tags on his pack, i kinda joked by saying "nice new pack you got" and his reply was "im taking it back tomorrow, cheaper than hiring one"..

That's bad news when people do that - ruins a return policy for everyone. I used to have a department store salvage business - I KNOW how people try to scam stores.

On same note BEWARE of Red Wing boots - bad return policy. I had a pair of Vasque boots - not Vibram soles but a more spongy sole. They were great boots had them about 6 years - didn't put that much use on them. I didn't wear them out, they DISINTEGRATED - they literally fell apart. I marched them down to Red Wing and screamed bloody murder. Get this - they told me that some boots have a life span of 6 years then they disintegrate, that's the nature of the kind of rubber that is used. I said that no one explained that to me when I bought the boots - and that I wouldn't have bought them if I knew they only had a 6 year life span. All they were willing to do for me was give me 20% credit toward the purchase of another pair of boots. No thanks. I'm done doing business with Red Wing. I did end up buying another pair of Vasque boots with Vibram soles at Sports Chalet - they were on sale & I couldn't resist. Doubtful they'll disintegrate !

Honu

lost on the mainland
think I would have laughed said HI I am and wait for his name take out my sharpie and wrote his name on the back and smiled :)
saying not now :)

madmax718

Explorer
That's bad news when people do that - ruins a return policy for everyone. I used to have a department store salvage business - I KNOW how people try to scam stores.

On same note BEWARE of Red Wing boots - bad return policy. I had a pair of Vasque boots - not Vibram soles but a more spongy sole. They were great boots had them about 6 years - didn't put that much use on them. I didn't wear them out, they DISINTEGRATED - they literally fell apart. I marched them down to Red Wing and screamed bloody murder. Get this - they told me that some boots have a life span of 6 years then they disintegrate, that's the nature of the kind of rubber that is used. I said that no one explained that to me when I bought the boots - and that I wouldn't have bought them if I knew they only had a 6 year life span. All they were willing to do for me was give me 20% credit toward the purchase of another pair of boots. No thanks. I'm done doing business with Red Wing. I did end up buying another pair of Vasque boots with Vibram soles at Sports Chalet - they were on sale & I couldn't resist. Doubtful they'll disintegrate !

I had the same issue with timberland. Called up, RMAed it, they emailed me with a credit, said to order a new pair! Thats customer service.

madmax718

Explorer
btw, REI will still allow you to return those , 6 years later. Its the "I didn't like it" returns that have ended. The broken/mfg errors are still in effect.

jrfromafar

Adventurer
That's good to know about REI & Timberland.

I've also had to deal with Ecco a few times with replacement.

But thumbs down 4 Red Wing!

Woods

Explorer
6 Years? Seems like a long time to return something.

madmax718

Explorer
6 Years? Seems like a long time to return something.

The life span of shoes should not be 6 years, especially if they are not daily worn. the spongy layer became a tar like sticky crumbly mess- the leather and sole were perfect.

Mine were winter hiking boots- worn maybe 3x per winter.

The material they used degraded prematurely- it wasn't worn out.

and I've had many other shoes- which are over 10 years old, which are still wearable.

jrfromafar

Adventurer
The life span of shoes should not be 6 years, especially if they are not daily worn. the spongy layer became a tar like sticky crumbly mess- the leather and sole were perfect.

Mine were winter hiking boots- worn maybe 3x per winter.

The material they used degraded prematurely- it wasn't worn out.

and I've had many other shoes- which are over 10 years old, which are still wearable.

This is exactly what happened to my Vasque boots. In the CLOSET they disintegrated. Should not have happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz