Why all the hi-lift hate? Is there an alternative?

keane

Observer
The hi-lift winching kit is handy as well. You will need a a couple good lenghts of chain as well.

As for lifting my vehicles with it, I made an adapter that pins it in to the trailer recievers on the front and back of my trucks.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I liken the farm jack to a swiss army knife. It's certainly better than nothing and saves one from carrying multiple different tools but lets face it. A winch is better for winching, a bottle jack or floor jack is better for changing a tire, etc. Dedicated tools are generally better.

Once you have used the hi-lift you will get a better feel for what it's good at and what it's not. Actual experience with it is a far better measure than reading about it or theorizing about it's advantages.

Woodsman

Adventurer
I agree with I Leak Oil above.

90% of the time I've seen Hi-Lifts used, it has been to change a tire on normal terrain. That job is better and more safely accomplished by lifting under the axle with a factory jack, bottle jack or floor jack. Hi-Lifts do have their place but the truth is that most of us, especially if equipped with a winch, can get away with carrying the extra weight.

One note, I drive an FJ Cruiser, for some reason everyone thinks they should toss the factory jack when they carry a highlift. It only weighs a few pounds and is stored out of the way (or easily stands up in a cargo drawer like I have). As recently as two weeks ago, while approaching SOB Hill on Elephant Hill trail in Canyonlands, someone in my group had a flat tire. No factory jack. Arggg. Here we go lifting the vehicle sky high to overcome the rear axle articulation and change the tire.

xplrn42

Adventurer
One note, I drive an FJ Cruiser, for some reason everyone thinks they should toss the factory jack when they carry a highlift.

I drive an FJ too, ever since I bought it I've read the same thing.....never could figure out why except to try and be cool until the point they actually dent a door changing a tire, yeah, then who's kewl???? LOL!

PS - I carry both and will probably start taking a bottle jack along as well, but so far, haven't.

taiden

Observer
I also found that an adult sized silicone bracelet works very well as a handle keeper, and fits much better under the back seat of the Cherokee.

knYllSh.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I wish the Trooper had room under the back seat for a Hi-Lift, because I like to keep it out the weather.

But it doesn't, so I did this:

The weight is supported by the wheel well, the bolts/wingnuts just hold it in place.

madmax718

Explorer
I cant, because the hump is higher on the WJ- one side has the amp and tire jack- now with a shovel on top. Other side has 30 ft of snatch strap.

taiden

Observer
BigSwede, your location is much more accessible. I like it!

I enjoy having mine under the seat because in daily driving situations it's literally gone from view.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
It's not quite as accessible when I have the sleeping platform in place, but it's not bad. I've been pleased with it there, the jack never got in the way on trips last year, and I doubt I will find a better solution for indoor storage.

And my Trooper is not my daily driver so having the jack visible is not an issue.

Eventhough

Explorer
I agree with I Leak Oil above.

90% of the time I've seen Hi-Lifts used, it has been to change a tire on normal terrain. That job is better and more safely accomplished by lifting under the axle with a factory jack, bottle jack or floor jack. Hi-Lifts do have their place but the truth is that most of us, especially if equipped with a winch, can get away with carrying the extra weight.

One note, I drive an FJ Cruiser, for some reason everyone thinks they should toss the factory jack when they carry a highlift. It only weighs a few pounds and is stored out of the way (or easily stands up in a cargo drawer like I have). As recently as two weeks ago, while approaching SOB Hill on Elephant Hill trail in Canyonlands, someone in my group had a flat tire. No factory jack. Arggg. Here we go lifting the vehicle sky high to overcome the rear axle articulation and change the tire.

I strongly echo what the Woodsman said about using a bottle jack first - it is much safer and more controlled. I always pull out the bottle jack from the shop FJ Cruiser before the Hi-Lift. A Hi-Lift is an awesome tool but can bite you (as it has bit me).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles