1993 Camel Trophy 200TDI

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
Already thinking like a true CT owner- think middle of the jungle, no 'shop' for a thousand miles, just trying to be semi watertight. Well done- true CT spirit!!

Thanks for the 'plug' David, can't wait to see her again with the new heart!!

Good to here from you again! It's coming along quite well!

What's the history of how it got to the U.S.? Did Tom Collins import this truck here himself? How can you register a 1993 Disco here in the US, or is it an off-road only thing?

I've been talking to Tom Collins about the history of the truck. It's a very interesting story, especially when Tom told me it is the winning truck.....the winning trucks were normally given to the winning country(1993 USA) and then it went to tom collins. soon after it was damaged and was turned into a training truck for later years of camel trophy.... We are working on retrieving the title...which was somehow done in grand junction, co. As of right now, it is offroad only. :)

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
We've been a bit incognito the past month with spotty coverage at best, but well tanned and rested ;-)

Glad it is going well, and please let me know if I can help in any way!! I did speak to a couple other former CT drivers, but no info to speak of, sorry.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
They can.
600$ plus tax plus 250$ shipping....then...getting the truck down to a frame shop...600$ tow....then another 1200$+ for frame straightening/ glass matching....Then towing it back...another 600....I have some Money, but definitely not a ton. I'm already cutting the mr10 margard poly....will be installed tomorrow...

Just out of curiosity, what are you expecting to accomplish with this Discovery and on what budget. I understand that money is always an issue for most of us, but if fitting a proper windshield to the vehicle is not a priority for funds then what is? It is of course your vehicle and your right to do with it as you please. And of course a vehicle this unique is very cool to have. But on some level it deserves justice, doesnt it?

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
Just out of curiosity, what are you expecting to accomplish with this Discovery and on what budget. I understand that money is always an issue for most of us, but if fitting a proper windshield to the vehicle is not a priority for funds then what is? It is of course your vehicle and your right to do with it as you please. And of course a vehicle this unique is very cool to have. But on some level it deserves justice, doesnt it?
To drive it. My budget comes and goes, so i fix what i can. Priority is what makes it go and stop. I've owned plenty of race cars/ 4x4's with mr10. Works great, lighter, and doesn't shatter like glass.

Eh, justice is driving it up the hill and to use it for what it was ment to do. It isn't a showroom piece to me, it is a 4x4. If I start treating it too nice, it will end up being a garage rover. But, I respect it 100% and will do what needs to be done to make it function. The next person with money can slap a piece of glass in there if they want, but until then....polycarb it is.

Last edited:

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
We've been a bit incognito the past month with spotty coverage at best, but well tanned and rested ;-)

Glad it is going well, and please let me know if I can help in any way!! I did speak to a couple other former CT drivers, but no info to speak of, sorry.

Good to hear your vacation went well! I kinda live in a vacation spot, so i can't complain.

All good, Tom Collins and some folk I met, visiting in telluride, are guiding me in my quest! I will update you as soon as possible!

REDROVER

Explorer
just wondering those body damages, are they from during camel trophy ? or somebody damaged this beautiful truck without knowing whats its all about . may be accident ? that can happen to anyone even the best driver in the world ,

Last edited:

Tohelluride

I like wheel'in around!
just wondering those body damages, are they from during camel trophy ? or some idiot damaged this beautiful truck without knowing whats its all about .

tom Collins said he hired a guy to deliver it to an auto show in New York and the guy hit black ice and turned it over in Indianapolis, IN.

REDROVER

Explorer
tom Collins said he hired a guy to deliver it to an auto show in New York and the guy hit black ice and turned it over in Indianapolis, IN.

ahhh crap. well take ur time and restore it properly , u have got an amazing machine , i would say for me this d1 means a lot more than any NAS 110 this truck has history.

and when u do the job right , u will get all the money u put in it + a lot more ,.

Eric

Last edited:

grimbo

Explorer
Nice find. So lucky you can have an off road only vehicle in the states to allow you to get out there and use it.

So how does it drive, have you had to do much mechanically to get it working etc(other than the windscreen), what future plans?

How many cool CT stories did you hear from Tom?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles