Extending cellular coverage

loren85022

Explorer
Curious if anyone has experience with the Wilson Dual Band Mobile Wireless Kit.? The price makes me pause ($250) but I see this as a big emergency preparation tool.

The very short range of the interior cab transmission range. But I like the idea of somehow improving my AT&T coverage. Which I know I could greatly improve by flushing down the toilet and getting Verizon, but thats another thread.

1343760653_1.jpg

i ahve no cell service at my dad's. friend of his came up one day and said he had gotten a wilson cell phone booster in his truck. dad and i walked over to his truck and i imidiately had 3 bars of service. i could make a phone call where i couldn't 5 minutes before.

i'm not sure if had the same set-up as your looking at, but it was definetly was a wilson.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I swear by the wilson boosters. I work for the park service so I run into bad service everywhere. I have a home booster and a mobile booster for my car. I dont have any first hand experience with the mobile wireless booster but im sure its as good as the rest. I have read the mobile wireless boosters you have to be with in a foot or so of the internal antenna for it to work. since the antenna are so close they couldn't make the internal antenna to powerful or it would react with the roof antenna.

Ive got this one for my car, I just put the phone in the cradle and my bars go up :).

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electr...id=1372653696&sr=8-11&keywords=wilson+booster

added bonus, the customer service is amazing. my booster died after owning it for a year(I think I killed it by mistake). One email to the warranty department and they replaced my unit free of charge.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Keep in mind that feb 2013 FCC make cell phone boosters illegal. New model now require approval from cell companies.
Check with your carriers and make sure the model your using is legal to use and acceptable to your carrier.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Keep in mind that feb 2013 FCC make cell phone boosters illegal. New model now require approval from cell companies.
Check with your carriers and make sure the model your using is legal to use and acceptable to your carrier.

No problem, I'll do that just as soon as I finish registering all my guns with the Sheriff. :)

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
All you need are those stickers they sell on that infomercial; just stick em on and viola! full bars. These decals use special nano-technology developed by NASA. If you order now, we'll double your order.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I just installed a wilson at my mountain house-base station model with a directional ariel

I go from zero to 4 bars- for friends phones

But my old iphone3GS still does not like the signal for making calls- it wanders from 1 -4 and drops the signal.

Being that we don't live there I have not had time to chase up the issue

verizon it seems to hold the signal perfectly and enable 3g service too.....so we may be changing phone - and or service too

madmax718

Explorer
Arent these two from wilson totally different powered?

Wilson Electronics - SignalBoost - Cell Phone Signal Booster for Vehicle - Single User
Up to 3 watts maximum output power
Size (LWH): 32 inches, 20 inches, 16 inches
Weight: 2.2 pounds

vs
Wilson Electronics - MobilePro - Portable Cell Phone Signal Booster - Includes 12-Inch Magnet Mount Antenna

Frequency: 824-894 MHz / 1850-1990 MHz
Gain: 40dB / 42dB
Max Output Power: 500 mw
Connectors: SMA Female
Dimensions: 2 x 4.75 x 1 inches
Weight: 3 oz

Not for nothing, but the power output is 6x higher in the first model. The advertising is misleading, the first one says up to 10x boost, the second says 12x, even though the full wattage is only .5 watt.

I am torn between model 1, and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BHUESY/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk this one. This one will repeat the cell signal all around. Model 1 works but the phone has to be in the cradle. I kinda like that, less radiation.

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Arent these two from wilson totally different powered?

Wilson Electronics - SignalBoost - Cell Phone Signal Booster for Vehicle - Single User
Up to 3 watts maximum output power
Size (LWH): 32 inches, 20 inches, 16 inches
Weight: 2.2 pounds

vs
Wilson Electronics - MobilePro - Portable Cell Phone Signal Booster - Includes 12-Inch Magnet Mount Antenna

Frequency: 824-894 MHz / 1850-1990 MHz
Gain: 40dB / 42dB
Max Output Power: 500 mw
Connectors: SMA Female
Dimensions: 2 x 4.75 x 1 inches
Weight: 3 oz

Not for nothing, but the power output is 6x higher in the first model. The advertising is misleading, the first one says up to 10x boost, the second says 12x, even though the full wattage is only .5 watt.

No idea, but model numbers and/or links and we can check it out for you!

98roamer

Explorer
Over the last 3 yrs I've bought a little over 450 of the Wilson Dual Band Direct connection signal boosters for our nationwide digital signage network. The company is rock solid and we've had less the .01% equipment failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles