235/85/16? Let's see them

Silvanus

Observer
235/85 R16 Cooper Discoverer AT/3
736742_10151596027248275_78233587_o.jpg

Scott,

How are the Cooper A/T3 holding up though various terrains you've put that L-Cruiser though?

I've been researching tires and have decided on an proven A/T tire in this size 235/85/R16. It's a perfect size & width for an TJ-L that's lifted 2.5"! ( 3,985 actual weight sans me )

I'm very interested in the A/T3 in this size!

Last edited:

88Xj

Banned
Thanks 88XJ!

The tire I'm leaning towards is the Cooper A/T3 which in an E rated tire, E rated tire shouldn't be problem for the TJ-L, yes?

Ride & wear may be an issue. Everyone says the e's are a heavier/stiffer tire. To get good even wear you'll have to run a bit of pressure on them, thus making them stiffer yet. Honestly 60psi on the e rated in our burb feels much better than the d series that were on there at around 45psi.
On my xj, should be pretty similar weight to your tj-l with its bumper, frame plating, trussed axles, cargo ect. I run 33x10.5s. I run them at 28psi every day to get even wear and its a very nice ride. You may look into those? I think your tj-l on e series wouldn't be the best, but could be live able pending what your expectations are.

Silvanus

Observer
Ride & wear may be an issue. Everyone says the e's are a heavier/stiffer tire. To get good even wear you'll have to run a bit of pressure on them, thus making them stiffer yet. Honestly 60psi on the e rated in our burb feels much better than the d series that were on there at around 45psi.
On my xj, should be pretty similar weight to your tj-l with its bumper, frame plating, trussed axles, cargo ect. I run 33x10.5s. I run them at 28psi every day to get even wear and its a very nice ride. You may look into those? I think your tj-l on e series wouldn't be the best, but could be live able pending what your expectations are.

Then is the E rated rugged then? It would stand up well to the various trail/road conditions when out & about?

I'm currently running on 33-10.5 -15 BFG KM's with 29# of pressure, and yes, they ride very nicely indeed! and I've weighted my Jeep at the town transfer station, it came in at 4,200 with me in it ( I'm 215# ) an E rate would be over kill for for the TJ-L?

At 31.7ish OD & 9.3 width this size is perfect for my Jeep, just what I'm looking for ! I've got another year left on the KM's, next spring I'll need to make my tire purchase. I'm leaning very much to the 235-85 16R E because of it's dimensions. I'm hoping by then there might an tire manufacture who'll make an 32ish 9.5 tire in a C or D rate 16" tire or for 15" wheel, there has been a lot of interest in narrow tires on the various forums I'm in or visited.

Maybe one of them will???

Thanks again 88XJ!

Last edited:
E or not does not mean trail rated, the e is only about weight rating.
Then is the E rated rugged then? It would stand up well to the various trail/road conditions when out & about?

I'm currently running on 33-10.5 -15 BFG KM's with 29# of pressure, and yes, they ride very nicely indeed! and I've weighted my Jeep at the town transfer station, it came in at 4,200 with me in it ( I'm 215# ) an E rate would be over kill for for the TJ-L?

At 31.7ish OD & 9.3 width this size is perfect for my Jeep, just what I'm looking for ! I've got another year left on the KM's, next spring I'll need to make my tire purchase. I'm leaning very much to the 235-85 16R E because of it's dimensions. I'm hoping by then there might an tire manufacture who'll make an 32ish 9.5 tire in a C or D rate 16" tire or for 15" wheel, there has been a lot of interest in narrow tires on the various forums I'm in or visited.

Maybe one of them will???

Thanks again 88XJ!

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I haven't had any hashness or wear issues on my Xterra. I have load range E BFG ATs on my 4000 pound Xterra. I run about 45 psi on the road.

I also came from a lowered GTI with 40 series tires so my idea of a harsh ride might be different than yours

88Xj

Banned
I haven't had any hashness or wear issues on my Xterra. I have load range E BFG ATs on my 4000 pound Xterra. I run about 45 psi on the road.

I also came from a lowered GTI with 40 series tires so my idea of a harsh ride might be different than yours

I dont think the burbs ride is harsh by any means. I think it feel much better than what it was at with the d series tires. It just felt way to soft & emergency maneuvers felt extremely soft/tippy. The e series feels like youd expect, r truck to feel firm & planted. Ive also noticed under hard, hard breaking the front wheels no longer want to lock up as quick unless you stab at the pedal. I'm talking about a 9000 lbs truck with the spare and tools and such. I ran mine recently at 25psi offroad, just mild trail ride & again I loved it. i never took the old tires offroad as they were more of a street tire. However my compressor quit and forced me to drive to the nearest service station for air. 25psi on the road was very squishy lol...*** end just swayed back & forth the whole time lol.
Today I tryed 50psi all around because I noticed the outter edges weren't wearing on the front yet, only the centers. Now its an even footprint all across but the rears a bit soft still. Wants to sway around. Thinking it'll be 50-55 psi up front and 60-65psi rear. To keep that swaying action at bay. Everything's good back there, just did all the bushings, full front end rebuild with new moog joints & tres. Idk *** end just feels everywhere under 60psi?

If Morton is running his at 40-45psi in a 4000lbs rig & seeing even wear, I would say they would work just fine on your tj-l silvanus. Being how wide they are, around 9" I would try to keep it on a 6-7" wide wheel. Mine are on a 6" wide and I love the look & no worries of popping a head, although Ill never air this down enough to matter anyway. The skinnier rim will hol dit better, the wider giving more even tread wear on the highway.
You may look into the 255/75s/17s? 32 tall, 9" wide. It seems you'll be buying new wheels anyway? I know the stock lx series (charger, 300c, magnum ect) steelies at 17x7. And a few guys are running those will Jk take off tires. I was & still may do that...I have the wj swap n my xj so I'm running 2" spacers with stock wheels, around 3.5" backspacing and I'm not a fan of how wide it is...the 17s would allow me to keep around 5" backspacing and clear with no issue. Keep a fairly narrow track width :) and again like you, the 255 or similar size should be easier to find at a tire shop then a 33x10.5. But i carry ways to patch a tire, plugs & patches. i also run slime in all my tires because people seem to think burning pallets in the desert is a good idea....always eating nails?
The 33x9.5 were on a national back order when my buddy tryed to get a set for his baja....I'd say your chances of finding a used 1 is very slime to none lol.

Last edited:

88Xj

Banned
What's up with the at3s? Seem to be extremely popular in this size?

I'm looking at bfg AT's or duratracs when our burb needs new shoes again? Mild enough for good mileage for highway trips & durable enough for the mild off road usage we do in it?

Silvanus

Observer
What's up with the at3s? Seem to be extremely popular in this size?

I'm looking at bfg AT's or duratracs when our burb needs new shoes again? Mild enough for good mileage for highway trips & durable enough for the mild off road usage we do in it?

After much researching, A/T3 is my tire of choice, so many positive reviews! I'll be purchasing the A/T3 in size 265/75R16 ( 31.6 OD, 10.49 section width ) Load Range C, now I'll have to find a set of 16x7 steelies!

88Xj

Banned
After much researching, A/T3 is my tire of choice, so many positive reviews! I'll be purchasing the A/T3 in size 265/75R16 ( 31.6 OD, 10.49 section width ) Load Range C, now I'll have to find a set of 16x7 steelies!

Check my pics on the last page. It's comparing a 265/75 to a 235/85. I would deffinetely do a 235 :)

t4rFL

Adventurer
not exactly the same size but close enough. mine are 245/75/16 MT/R's, they are small for my lift but its what i can afford right now. bought them used for cheap.

IMG_6751.jpgIMG_6749.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94