How many of us bring dutch oven along?

Joanne

Adventurer
that plow one is cool with the wind shield etc.. :)

you should sell those :)

I have made and sold a number of them. It helped offset the price of gas to attend some of the teardrop gatherings. The cost of materials, time, and difficulty finding disks here in Vegas make it a zero-sum game. Still, the folks that have them really like 'em.

I have one or two smaller disks left so I'm thinking of making a couple of 'diskata' (Cowboy woks).

IMGP1657_zps0cccb5d9.jpg

You can cook up a lot of food in one with just a propane burner. I would skip the legs and make a small stand instead.

Joanne

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
They used a diskata on the New Mexico episode of Bizarre Foods to cook up pigs blood if I remember correctly.

Bennettbf

Observer
Our ten inch goes with us each time now. Last weekend camping with the Boy Scouts -

1 12 oz canned ham
Bar-b-Que sauce - open the ham and cover it liberally
Bisquick Biscuits - surround the canned ham with them

Cook at 450 until the biscuits are done - the canned ham will be warmed up enough. Quick, easy, and a hell of a lot tastier than what the boys were having.

B

crazy

Adventurer
Since we have transitioned into home built cooking accessories, here's one that I use a LOT. Based on a plow disk, black pipe, and roof flashing. The legs unscrew and the wind screen his held on with wing nuts for a quick breakdown.

do_disk_1.jpg

do_disk_2.jpg

do_disk_3.jpg

2504462842_200692f9c1.jpg

Sometimes I have too much free time on my hands....

Joanne

I'm going to steal this idea without shame...I mean borrow. Thank you. I love cast iron. It's an addiction for me. I can't drive by a thrift store without looking for old pieces. I have one skillet so big that the oven door won't close. I use my dutch oven mainly for no knead bread. Sometimes I make peach cobbler with it at picnics. I start with a #10 can of peaches. That gives you an idea how big it is. I always say, "GO BIG or GO HOME". I don't really say that but it sounds good.:elkgrin:

crazy

Adventurer
Yeah, for me the problem is trying not to take too many ovens with me. Keeping it down to 3 or 4 is a challenge. I also like to take my old cast iron waffle iron with me for a special morning treat. The guys like it when I set up the camp kitchen. Offering to cook gets me invited on trips that I might not otherwise. :) We usually set up a base camp so the weight and setup time isn't really an issue.

While I love grilling and cooking on the propane stove, there are just some things you can do in a Dutch Oven that just aren't practical using other methods. I love to have biscuits or hot cinnamon rolls in the morning. Sitting around the fire eating a bowl of cobbler makes the evening special.

Cherry Claflouti
avqv08.jpg

Bread at the campsite. Yummm
e6ddue.jpg

Turkey if there's a crowd. That's about a 20 pound bird...
081115_03.jpg

Here's my setup when we were doing a Boy Scout demo.
117y71e.jpg

I guess I get carried away with things....

Joanne

WOW, I like the one on the ground.:Wow1:

crazy

Adventurer
If you're looking for a dutch oven to cook a whole turkey in, check out Maca dutch ovens. They come in pretty big sizes and extra deep models, AND! you can get custom cast lids. http://www.macaovens.com/

Thanks for the link, I think. I have a feeling that this might break my record price paid for a single piece of cast iron.:eek:

A Maca 17" is the latest addition to my collection. It's a GREAT turkey oven and will feed close to 50 when filled with beef stew. At 67 pounds it's a bit of a beast though. I can only move it in pieces though. I move the oven where I want it, then the lid. Not much of an expedition oven, but will feed a big group of folks at base camp.

Joanne

I couldn't find prices on their website. How much was that dutch oven and how many quarts of bacon grease did it take to season it?

crazy

Adventurer
Yes, the stopped making them but still have some in stock. They are made in India. I think I'll pass. Between the cost plus shipping, I think I can find something locally that's US made.

Joanne

Adventurer
I'm going to steal this idea without shame...I mean borrow. Thank you. I love cast iron. It's an addiction for me. I can't drive by a thrift store without looking for old pieces. I have one skillet so big that the oven door won't close. I use my dutch oven mainly for no knead bread. Sometimes I make peach cobbler with it at picnics. I start with a #10 can of peaches. That gives you an idea how big it is. I always say, "GO BIG or GO HOME". I don't really say that but it sounds good.:elkgrin:

Please copy the design! The only restriction is that you have to post pictures of any improvements you make so we can all add your improvements onto our tables. I copied the idea from someone else and decided to add a windscreen. Cheap, sturdy, collapseable...what else could you want? Light weight? Nope, sorry. :)

Joanne

crazy

Adventurer
Please copy the design! The only restriction is that you have to post pictures of any improvements you make so we can all add your improvements onto our tables. I copied the idea from someone else and decided to add a windscreen. Cheap, sturdy, collapseable...what else could you want? Light weight? Nope, sorry. :)

Joanne

Will do. Cast iron and lightweight cannot be used in the same sentence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles